i30 Owners Club

Slight vibration/noise at speed

Guest · 14 · 5113

Tusk
Hi All,
I've owned my i30 SR DCT for 8 months now, coming up on 20,000klms and loving every minute of it.

I made a stupid mistake the other day and mis-judged a gutter and hit it at jogging pace with my front passenger side wheel. Took the car to my local mechanic since Hyundai were an hour away and I wasn't sure if it was safe to drive.

They replaced the tyre (which had sidewall damage) and did a wheel alignment. They also replaced the following:
Left hand lower control
Lower control arm with ball joint

Picked the car up last night. Didn't notice anything this morning but driving home today (my commute is mostly highway) I could hear an ever so slight buzzing/vibration noise coming from the passenger side wheel. It was only really noticeable at 80+kph. I could also feel a slight vibrating/grinding/rubbing sensation feeding back in to in the steering wheel but only when cornering at speed (say 80kph+)

Any ideas? Should I be worried?

I have my car booked in for the 20,000klm service with Hyundai. I'm not sure if it is something else that was damaged that needs replacing or a result of the work done by the local mechanic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated  :scared:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I wonder if the bearing is damaged ? If the arm was replaced then it was a good hit? I guess insurance excess was high?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

A lot changed but not rim  ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yeah. I wondered about the rim too.
But I agree the bearing needs looking at.
You would assume any worthwhile tyre technician would pay close attention to the rim on the balancer after replacing  a damaged tyre AND control arm.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Tusk
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Are bearings repairable or do they just get replaced? Am I looking at $500+?

Yeah insurance excess is $850. Not worth taking the hit in higher premiums for the next few years.

The rim itself had a good scuff mark on the side where it came in to contact with the gutter, but otherwise no other visible dents or damage to it. As far as I could tell, it was only the side of the tyre that was damaged.

Not sure if I should get Hyundai to take a look at it or if the mechanic will be cheaper? I'm no good with anything mechanics related so I'm worried I'll get ripped off, but I want to fix it at the same time.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Okay:
It's a new car.
Damage NOT covered by warranty.
Dealers will charge an arm & leg. I've been at dealer who told a owner approx 12 items would not be  covered by warranty - (diesel in petrol,  not started, towed to dealer) and charged over $1000:00 for tow and drain as well.
Most insurance co's allow some minor immediate repair, ie, tyre etc etc. Still can't believe all that damage and rim still good, could just be bearing though.
You think there is a problem still.
If its fixed via insurance should be good for warranty period.

It hurts .

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
"They replaced the tyre
Left hand lower control
Lower control arm with ball joint"

I assume the 2nd item is actually LH tie rod.
I would take the car back to the mechanic and get them to re-do the balance and check alignment.
@Tusk
Mick is spot on, dont go near the dealer with this one.
Before you go back to the mechanic, make yourself useful with a tape measure:- put car on flat ground, steering wheel in exactly straight ahead position. Then measure both front wheels; from middle of the wheel to the edge of the front door.
The measurement should be the same, Left and right.

If they are different, then caster and/or camber is incorrect ( wheel alignment) . The cause is this;
the hit you gave the car is significant. The i30 subframe commonly gets bent at the front mounting point (bush) for the lower control arm.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Tusk
I really appreciate all your help! I'll do these measurements when i get home from work. I've actually got it in for its 20k service this morning, booked for mid-morning drop off (it hit 20,000klm on the way to work this morning).

Going by your advice, I won't mention anything to the dealer. I'll just get them to do the standard service.

Driving it to work again this morning (55klms of mostly highway) I'm not sure if the noise is coming from the front passenger wheel, sounds like the front-middle of the car. The sound is sort of half similar to a RWD car that has a bit of a whining diff. It's really only audible at 80kph+ regardless of engine speed, gear I'm in or straight line/cornering etc.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Agree don't mention this to the dealer. If by chance there is an unrelated fault, now or later, they could avoid doing work under warranty, claiming that it is due to the accident.

As a bit of an aside, I see a lot of the GD i30s  and some PD with exactly the same damage as yours, or worse. I think this is due to poor Left-front visibility caused by the wide windscreen pillar.
The FD was much better with a thinner and less raked pillar.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Agree don't mention this to the dealer. If by chance there is an unrelated fault, now or later, they could avoid doing work under warranty, claiming that it is due to the accident.

As a bit of an aside, I see a lot of the GD i30s  and some PD with exactly the same damage as yours, or worse. I think this is due to poor Left-front visibility caused by the wide windscreen pillar.
Agree, pillars are wide- airbags? , had to learn to "look around" pillar when we got the GD, totally missed a couple of cars early on.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Agree, pillars are wide- airbags? , had to learn to "look around" pillar when we got the GD, totally missed a couple of cars early on.

My Calais was a great car with nice styling but Commodore A pillars are one of the widest.  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:evil: Old farts learn quickly and retain the information.  :goodjob2:

Millennials :scared: seem to be the total opposite.  :whistler:

The greatest percentage  of LF pranged cars that I see, belong to the young , often P plate females.

The A pillar air bag is problematic.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

The greatest percentage  of LF pranged cars that I see, belong to the young , often P plate females.

@nzenigma
You mean US old farts   :lol:  :rofl: :winker:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

@nzenigma
You mean US old farts   :lol:  :rofl: :winker:

:twisted: That IS us mate. Weve figured out that the big trick is to keep getting older.   :mrgreen:

You stop doing that and.......... :faint:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal