i30 Owners Club

FD Headlamp Cluster - What's Missing?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
When I replaced my incandescent amber turn bulbs with combo DRL modules, the base on each module was somewhat smaller than the more complex contact-integrated OEM base. Nevertheless, I reused some of the OEM rubber as adapters, the module bases pressed into place and alignment with the help of cut lengths of coat hanger wire slid down into some conveniently located channels in the cluster assemblies.

I suspect these channels, which can be seen as holes in the top surfaces of the clusters, were included to house beam adjusters. Does any variant feature these mechanisms?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
To clarify, this image shows the OEM lamp holder in grey on the left and the channel is just beside it, circled in red. From a beam adjustment thread I just found in a search, I guess it's just somewhere to stick a screwdriver to adjust a cog below. Anyone interested in adding the integrated DRL function might need to do the same to make life easy. :D

ns

Oh well, mystery solved.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:32:23 by The Gonz »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
When I replaced my incandescent amber turn bulbs with combo DRL modules, the base on each module was somewhat smaller than the more complex contact-integrated OEM base. Nevertheless, I reused some of the OEM rubber as adapters, the module bases pressed into place and alignment with the help of cut lengths of coat hanger wire slid down into some conveniently located channels in the cluster assemblies.

I suspect these channels, which can be seen as holes in the top surfaces of the clusters, were included to house beam adjusters. Does any variant feature these mechanisms?
Fitted for , not with  :D Have not found anything

Go electric

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Quite a fancy feature for something I might adjust once every 100,000 km. :eek:
I suppose the European approach is to adjust every time you carry a load of groceries in the boot. :lol:
You know I like gadgets, and I will always wonder what might have been. :winker:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Quite a fancy feature for something I might adjust once every 100,000 km. :eek:
I suppose the European approach is to adjust every time you carry a load of groceries in the boot. :lol:
You know I like gadgets, and I will always wonder what might have been. :winker:
Have not looked at how it integrates  but if it's anything like the i40 that one is tied to sensors on the suspension :scared:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
if it's anything like the i40 that one is tied to sensors on the suspension
Holy sensor fusion, G-man, talk about dynamic levelling! :scared:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
if it's anything like the i40 that one is tied to sensors on the suspension
general example of the sensor Hyundai . Kia product

And some trivia I was unaware of.

I have Adaptive HIDs

HID headlights are several times brighter than conventional halogen lights, and because of this they can easily stun and dazzle other drivers and pedestrians. This is especially true on hills, and when driving over bumps and dips.

That’s why in Australia and Europe cars equipped with these headlights are required by law to be fitted with a self-levelling system that attempts to keep the headlights pointing down at the road.

Typically a self-levelling system will determine the car’s inclination by monitoring the front and rear suspension. Electric actuators, not too dissimilar to the ones that move adaptive headlights side to side, are then able to quickly adjust the projector’s beam up or down.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
So the HID intensity drove the legislation that drove the adaptive leveling. This isn't something that gets a lot of discussion but makes it really obvious to the constabulary when an HQ has aftermarket HIDs :eek:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
So the HID intensity drove the legislation that drove the adaptive leveling. This isn't something that gets a lot of discussion but makes it really obvious to the constabulary when an HQ has aftermarket HIDs :eek:
My thoughts too and likely why HID kits are not ADR approved

RACQ

Aftermarket HID conversions
Aftermarket HID conversions are available however their on-road use will generally contravene the relevant federal legislation. HID headlight conversions are not permitted under Queensland legislation either.

Nor do these simple retro conversions provide the necessary self-levelling system and headlight washers.

If the vehicle manufacturer offered optional HID lights on a particular model, then retrofitting the complete system, including the self-levelling system and headlight washers, to a similar model would be acceptable. But fitting a system to a different make or model is unlikely to be viable due to necessary certification requirements.

I got to ask, why would a headlight washer system be mandatory as well?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The 'A team' now bring you the Max 8 manual....

... the module bases pressed into place and alignment with the help of cut lengths of coat hanger wire slid down into some conveniently located channels ...
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The 'A team' now bring you the Max 8 manual....

... the module bases pressed into place and alignment with the help of cut lengths of coat hanger wire slid down into some conveniently located channels ...
Fair suck, Kiwi bro, I'm only adapting LEDs, not HIDs. :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal