i30 Owners Club

i30 Petrol 1.6 2009 - Radiator fan not kicking in

Offline chrisgtl

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Yorkshire
Hi all,

I am currently working through a list of problems with my partners i30 1.6 Petrol 2009.

The passenger door wouldn't open from the inside - fixed last weekend with a new latch cable.
Engine ran lumpy - fixed with new spark plugs

Now for a biggy problem. AC is not blowing cold air but light on AC button comes on as normal when we press it. I see no change in idle revs when I press the AC button. I've also noticed the radiator fans never come on - I let the engine idle on the drive after an hour drive yesterday (ambient temp about 21C). Radiator fan never came on. Water pipe on top of radiator is red hot and the bottom water pipe of radiator is noticeably cooler. Dashboard temp gauge always reads normally. We never see it overheating. I'm also wondering if the water pump is working correctly as I couldn't feel lots of moving water/coolant through the radiator hoses.

I've checked all the fuses with multimeter both internal and external. All ok

I unpluged the radiator fan plug and jumped 12v from the battery to the plug and fan came on full speed, sounded fine and shifted lots of air.

I've swapped round some relays which made no difference.

I also checked the non-removable fuses with multimeter and see no problems there.

Questions;

1) Can I force the radiator fan to come on by using the blower/AC controls?
2) The radiator fan plug (three pin to two pin with resistor behind it looks rusty/green) can this be the problem?

I was hoping to see some voltage on the three pin plug side but zero voltage to report. What triggers voltage to be sent to the radiator fan cable? Three pins with red, white and black cables.

• i30 1.6 Petrol 2009

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal