i30 Owners Club

i30 2008 elite diesel auto transmission slipping not changing through gears

kiwias · 47 · 15877

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Hi all
Have a 2008 i30 elite 1.6turbo diesel. Just started happening where i am driving and the car starts to rev a lot more for exceleration and noticed it does not change through the gears. The engine warning light comes on. When stopped and put it into either reverse or forward it clunks into gear. Then when stopped and may use it next time the engine light is gone and it drives fine again. It appears to only do this when its been driven for some length. It comes and goes. I had it in at my local Hyundai dealer Whangarei who basicly charged my near a $1000 to say they cant find the problem and that the engine light has gone and driving fine. They plugged it into there scanner which indicated some thing so they thought they had fixed it. They took the oil pan off to check the oil and any wear but all was good and gave it a gear box service.
Any idea please what this could be

Cheers
  • Hyundai 130 elite 2008 diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi all
Have a 2008 i30 elite 1.6turbo diesel. Just started happening where i am driving and the car starts to rev a lot more for exceleration and noticed it does not change through the gears. The engine warning light comes on. When stopped and put it into either reverse or forward it clunks into gear. Then when stopped and may use it next time the engine light is gone and it drives fine again. It appears to only do this when its been driven for some length. It comes and goes. I had it in at my local Hyundai dealer Whangarei who basicly charged my near a $1000 to say they cant find the problem and that the engine light has gone and driving fine. They plugged it into there scanner which indicated some thing so they thought they had fixed it. They took the oil pan off to check the oil and any wear but all was good and gave it a gear box service.
Any idea please what this could be

Cheers
I hate dealers for this very reason. That $1000 could have purchased a valve body  which this could be especially if intermittant.  What codes did they report?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Hi
Thanks for reply. I will find service form to see if they put what codes they found. Yes it  is intermittant. Does not do this all of the time. When it does affect the car and when you take off from start the engine revs quite high like a centrofugal clutch works but does move but not the torque you normaly have and i noticed it appears to only stay in one gear and does not go through gear changes and engine light comes on. I drove it today and tonight and all is fine. Could just happen out of the blue again but is happening more frequant but from what i can see only on longer journeys not just around town
Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Kiwias,

Sorry to hear of your troubles and the costs associated with fixing it. Intermittent faults are so frustrating for everyone, but especially the owner.

Like Gerard says the valve body mechanism in the 4 speed can get troublesome with age. Hopefully the transmission service has improved things for a while at least.  :Good_luck:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi
Thanks for reply. I will find service form to see if they put what codes they found. Yes it  is intermittant. Does not do this all of the time. When it does affect the car and when you take off from start the engine revs quite high like a centrofugal clutch works but does move but not the torque you normaly have and i noticed it appears to only stay in one gear and does not go through gear changes and engine light comes on. I drove it today and tonight and all is fine. Could just happen out of the blue again but is happening more frequant but from what i can see only on longer journeys not just around town
Cheers
Could be in limp, next time it revs but no power, manually select 2 and see if that improves. Just thinking , a bad Valve Body may not trigger codes but bad speed sensors will,

A couple of years ago I had to drive about 400k with a trans in limp. I had manual 2 and 3 to work with, I had to manually shift and it was harsh. I had burnt out speed sensors. When it goes in limp there is no transmission control by the computer or shift solenoids

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:25:12 by tw2005 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
If you have a scan tool or OBD2 code reader, scan it whilst that check light is on and note the codes, may give some clues as to what is going on.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Another thing and not sure if it ever affected the i30 but elantra models maybe just prior had suspect soldering in the shift solenoid harness which sits internal of the box.

That could cause erratic behaviour and going into limp.  Likely premature jumping to conclusions on the valve body, really need some data, I'd clear the codes too once you have them written down, and see what appears each time.

Bluetooth OBD2 scantools can be cheap online and then use a smart phone or tablet  to read them

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I've posted this before, good viewing even if it may not be your issue.

:link: How To Fix Transmission A4CF2 Shift Problems / Check Engine Errors - YouTube

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Hi

Thanks for help

Dealer mechanic notes as reads

carried out further assesment on fault code p2112
found trans oil burnt
found the actuator unplugged
replaced trans oil and filter
rechecked for DTC's all ok

So not sure what that all indicates

Cheers

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Ok
My wife has just been on a round trip 60km journey and the engine light has come on and the car has gone back to reving high and still moving but does not change through the gears and i tried to put it into auto manuel and into first and or second and does not go into any  of those gears just stays in what ever gear its in. Is there a heating issued causing it. Seems to happen when the car has been on longer trips??
If it was in limp mode i know with a privious  car make it will only let you drive slow no more than 40 to 50km per hour. This car still gains normal fast speed?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Ok
My wife has just been on a round trip 60km journey and the engine light has come on and the car has gone back to reving high and still moving but does not change through the gears and i tried to put it into auto manuel and into first and or second and does not go into any  of those gears just stays in what ever gear its in. Is there a heating issued causing it. Seems to happen when the car has been on longer trips??
Maybe, I guess you don't have access to an OBD2 scantool?  I'm a little suprised you don't get manual 2 or 3 .

This is from experience, you won't have 1st so forget  that, starting off in 2 will be sluggish and laboured, go easy and build speed up and then manual shift to 3 say  at 50 k, the gearing is tall in the diesel. I'll have to read a bit up on it but with no electronic controls the manual valve which moves with the shifter should route the pressure to cause a 2 -3 shift at least.

If the car is slow and laboured there's likely no difference at 2 or 3.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Like I said earlier you can drive this with manual 2nd and 3rd with no restriction other than the limiting factor of engine performance. So whatever you can max out in 3rd is the limit.

Round town would not be fun, on the highway I got away with it

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
May need to gather more data from a scan ,

P2112 Throttle Flap Vaccum Modulator- Circuit Low

Not related to loss of gears unless @nzenigma Gary has some guidance on that one but to me that's the flap at the throttle body opening that helps with a smooth shutdown of the diesel engine. Basically a choke that shut air off at shutdown.

As closing or opening vacuum line from vacuum pump which is installed at the end of cam shaft, with the method of duty control, Throttle contor Actuator controls throttle flap valve when engine is turning OFF.
When turning engines OFF, Throttle flap valve cuts intake air to prevent overrun phenomena.(In spite of turning engine OFF, engine does not stop and runs for a while due to rotating inertia of engine and fuel leakage at injector nozzle. )
To check its operation, watch if it operate when turning engine OFF

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
For what it's worth you can troll through this.  I can only guess what may be going on with yours at this point.
 I'll have to re-read it myself, I may not have had a check light on, I don't remember, I do remember what happens when it fails on the fly, slight jolt, RPM increase because it drops out of 4th back to 3rd and no electronic controls / kickdown.

All shifts are only selectable by manual shift, those are only 2,3 and R. All selections are harsh and that's again because no electronic controls or solenoids operating which also regulate line pressures and shift timings to smooth it all out.

:link: 2010 i30CW Transmission Failure / erratic gears

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Hi again

I have just taken car for another drive. The engine light stayed on but the car drove normal for about 10 mins then it felt like the gear box or some thing started shuddering slightley then went back to high reving and slow to take off and felt like it was real heavy on the motor? hard to explain. I stop and turned the car off then started it up again and put it into manuel second and took off and was very slugish. I stpped again and put it into manuel 1,2,3 as such and it did not show sign of kicking into any of those gear ratios just seems to be one gear what ever that one is. I put it back into auoto drive 3 and drove and no sign of changing through the gears and felt a load on the  motor while taking off and driving
Looks like i need to buy a scanner and plug it in while drive and this accuring

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi again

I have just taken car for another drive. The engine light stayed on but the car drove normal for about 10 mins then it felt like the gear box or some thing started shuddering slightley then went back to high reving and slow to take off and felt like it was real heavy on the motor? hard to explain. I stop and turned the car off then started it up again and put it into manuel second and took off and was very slugish. I stpped again and put it into manuel 1,2,3 as such and it did not show sign of kicking into any of those gear ratios just seems to be one gear what ever that one is. I put it back into auoto drive 3 and drove and no sign of changing through the gears and felt a load on the  motor while taking off and driving
Looks like i need to buy a scanner and plug it in while drive and this accuring
Not much more I can add really, but have a read of my dramas, Had a re-read, Looks like I may not have had check light.

I still think Valve Body is on the cards, if the box is working normally  prior to going limp suggests it's in the control side .

I'm still confused why your trying 1,  it will only manually  shift  if the shifter is moved.

Did you leave it in 2 and build speed and shift to 3? In failsafe it should have 2,3 and R manually selectable

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
here's a summary of Transmission related codes

1 P0707
 TRANSAXLE RANGE SWITCH CIRCUIT LOW INPUT

General Description

The Transaxle Range Switch sends the shift lever position information to the TCM(PCM) using a 12V (battery voltage) signal. When the shift lever is in the D (Drive) position the output signal of Tansaxle Range Switch is 12V and in all other positions the voltage is 0V. The TCM(PCM) judges the shift lever position by reading all signals, for the Transaxle Range Switch, simultaneously.
DTC Description

The TCM(PCM) sets this code when the Transaxle Range Switch has no output signal for more than 30 seconds.

2 P0708  Fail Safe 3
 TRANSAXLE RANGE SWITCH CIRCUIT HIGH INPUT

The Transaxle Range Switch sends the shift lever position information to the TCM using a 12V (battery voltage) signal. When the shift lever is in the D (Drive) position the output signal of Tansaxle Range Switch is 12V and in all other positions the voltage is 0V. The TCM judges the shift lever position by reading all signals, for the Transaxle Range Switch, simultaneously.
DTC Description

The TCM sets this code when the Transaxle Range Switch outputs multiple signals for more than 10 seconds.

3 P0712
 TRANSAXLE FLUID TEMPERATURE SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW INPUT

The automatic transmission fluid(ATF) temperature sensor is installed in the Valve Body. This sensor uses a thermistor whose resistance changes according to the temperature changes. The TCM supplies a 5V reference voltage to the sensor, and the output voltage of the sensor changes when the ATF temperature varies. The automatic transmission fluid(ATF) temperature provides very important data for the TCM’s control of the Torque Converter Clutch, and is also used for many other purposes.
DTC Description

This DTC code is set when the ATF temperature output voltage is lower than a value generated by thermistor resistance, in a normal operating range, for approximately 1 second or longer. The TCM regards the ATF temperature as fixed at a value of 80 °C

4 P0713
 TRANSAXLE FLUID TEMPERATURE SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH INPUT

The automatic transmission fluid(ATF) temperature sensor is installed in the Valve Body. This sensor uses a thermistor whose resistance changes according to the temperature changes. The TCM supplies a 5V reference voltage to the sensor, and the output voltage of the sensor changes when the ATF temperature varies. The automatic transmission fluid(ATF) temperature provides very important data for the TCM’s control of the Torque Converter Clutch, and is also used for many other purposes.
DTC Description

This DTC code is set when the ATF temperature output voltage is lower than a value generated by thermistor resistance, in a normal operating range, for approximately 1 second or longer. The TCM regards the ATF temperature as fixed at a value of 80 °C.

5 P0717  Fail Safe 2-3
 A/T INPUT SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT - OPEN or SHORT(GND)

The input(turbine) speed sensor outputs pulse-signals according to the revolutions of the input shaft of the transmission. The PCM/TCM determines the input shaft speed by counting the frequency of the pulses. This value is mainly used to control the optimum fluid pressure during shifting.
DTC Description

The PCM/TCM sets this code if an output pulse-signal is not detected, from the input speed sensor, when the vehicle is running faster than 30 km/h. The Fail-Safe function will be set by the PCM/TCM if this code is detected.

6 P0722  Fail Safe 2-3
 A/T OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT - OPEN or SHORT(GND)

The Output Speed Sensor outputs pulse-signals according to the revolutions of the output shaft of the transmission. The Output Speed Sensor is installed in front of the Transfer Drive Gear to determine the Transfer Drive Gear rpms by counting the frequency of the pulses. This value, together with the throttle position data, is mainly used to decide the optimum gear position.
DTC Description

The TCM sets this code if the calculated value of the pulse-signal is noticeably different from the value calculated, using the Vehicle Speed Sensor output, when the vehicle is running faster than 30 km/h. The TCM will initiate the fail safe function if this code is detected

7 P0731  Fail Safe 3
 GEAR 1 INCORRECT RATIO

The value of the input shaft speed should be equal to the value of the output shaft speed, when multiplied by the 1st gear ratio, while the transaxle is engaged in the 1st gear. For example, if the output speed is 1000 rpm and the 1st gear ratio is 2.919, then the input speed is 2.919 rpm.
DTC Description

This code is set if the value of input shaft speed is not equal to the value of the output shaft, when multiplied by the 1st gear ratio, while the transaxle is engaged in 1st gear. This malfunction is mainly caused by mechanical troubles such as control valve sticking or solenoid valve malfuctioning rather than an electrical issue.

8 P0732 Fail Safe 3
 GEAR 2 INCORRECT RATIO

The value of the input shaft speed should be equal to the value of the output shaft speed, when multiplied by the 2nd gear ratio, while the transaxle is engaged in the 2nd gear. For example, if the output speed is 1000 rpm and the 2nd gear ratio is 1.551, then the input speed is 1.551 rpm.
DTC Description

This code is set if the value of input shaft speed is not equal to the value of the output shaft, when multiplied by the 2nd gear ratio, while the transaxle is engaged in 2nd gear. This malfunction is mainly caused by mechanical troubles such as control valve sticking or solenoid valve malfuctioning rather than an electrical issue.

9 P0733 Fail Safe 3
 GEAR 3 INCORRECT RATIO

The value of the input shaft speed should be equal to the value of the output shaft speed, when multiplied by the 3rd gear ratio, while the transaxle is engaged in the 3rd gear. For example, if the output speed is 1,000 rpm and the 3rd gear ratio is 1.000, then the input speed is 1000 rpm.
DTC Description

This code is set if the value of input shaft speed is not equal to the value of the output shaft, when multiplied by the 3rd gear ratio, while the transaxle is engaged in 3rd gear. This malfunction is mainly caused by mechanical troubles such as control valve sticking or solenoid valve malfuctioning rather than an electrical issue.

10 P0734 Fail Safe 3
 GEAR 4 INCORRECT RATIO

The value of the input shaft speed should be equal to the value of the output shaft speed, when multiplied by the 4th gear ratio, while the transaxle is engaged in the 4th gear. For example, if the output speed is 1,000 rpm and the 4th gear ratio is 0.712, then the input speed is 712 rpm.
DTC Description

This code is set if the value of input shaft speed is not equal to the value of the output shaft, when multiplied by the 4th gear ratio, while the transaxle is engaged in 4th gear. This malfunction is mainly caused by mechanical troubles such as control valve sticking or solenoid valve malfuctioning rather than an electrical issue.

11 P0741
 TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH STUCK OFF

The PCM/TCM controls the locking and unlocking of the Torque Converter Clutch ( or Damper Clutch ), to the input shaft of the transmission, by appling hydraulic pressure. The main purpose of T/C clutch control is to save fuel by decreasing the hydraulic load inside the T/C. The PCM/PCM/TCM outputs duty pulses to control the Damper Clutch Control Solenoid Valve( TCCSV ) and hydraulic pressure is applied to the DC according to the TCC duty ratio value. When the duty ratio is high, high pressure is applied and the Damper Clutch is locked. The normal operating range of the Damper Clutch Control duty ratio value is from 30%(unlocked) to 85%(locked).
DTC Description

The PCM/TCM increases the duty ratio to engage the Damper Clutch by monitoring slip rpms (difference vlaue beteween engine speed and turbine speed ). To decrease the slip of the Damper Clutch, the PCM/TCM increases the duty ratio by appling more hyraulic pressure. When slip rpm does not drop under some value with 100% duty ratio, the PCM/TCM determines that the Torque Converter Clutch is stuck OFF and sets this code.

12 P0742
 TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH STUCK ON

The PCM/TCM controls the locking and unlocking of the Torque Converter Clutch ( or Damper Clutch ), to the input shaft of the transmission, by appling hydraulic pressure. The main purpose of T/C clutch control is to save fuel by decreasing the hydraulic load inside the T/C. The PCM/PCM/TCM outputs duty pulses to control the Damper Clutch Control Solenoid Valve( TCCSV ) and hydraulic pressure is applied to the DC according to the TCC duty ratio value. When the duty ratio is high, high pressure is applied and the Damper Clutch is locked. The normal operating range of the Damper Clutch Control duty ratio value is from 30%(unlocked) to 85%(locked).
DTC Description

The TCM monitors the slip RPM(the difference between engine speed and turbin speed) and raises the its duty ratio in order to operate Torque Conveter Clutch.
If the duty ratio is 0 % and TCM can't sense its slipping, the TCM determines that the torque converter clutch has been stuck and sets this DTC.

13 P0743 Fail Safe 3
 TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE - OPEN or SHORT(GND)

DTC Description

The PCM/TCM checks the Damper Clutch Control Signal by monitoring the feedback signal from the solenoid valve drive circuit. If an unexpected signal is monitored (for example, high voltage is detected when low voltage is expected, or low voltage is detected when high voltage is expected) the PCM/TCM judges that TCCSV circuit is malfunctioning and sets this code.

14 P0748 Fail Safe 3
 VF SOLENOID VALVE CIRCUIT - OPEN or SHORT(GND)

Variable Foced Solenoid (Linear Solenoid) : With the duty control which uses higher frequency(600Hz), instead of the existing PWM type which adapts low frequency(60Hz) to control,spool valve can be conrolled precisely.
In PWM control,the amount of oil flow is determined by the duration of "ON"signal among continuously repeated ON/OFF signals.
In VFS, the amount is decided by how widely spool valve open the passage of going through.
DTC Description

The TCM checks the VFS Control Signal by monitoring the feedback signal from the solenoid valve drive circuit. If an unexpected signal is monitored (for example, high voltage is detected when low voltage is expected, or low voltage is detected when high voltage is expected), the TCM judges that the Low and Reverse control solenoid circuit is malfunctioning and sets this code.

15 P0750 Fail Safe 3
 ON/OFF(SCSV-A) SOLENOID VALVE CIRCUIT - OPEN or SHORT(GND)

The Automatic Transmission changes the gear position of the transmission utilizing a combination of Clutches and Brakes, which are controlled by solenoid valves. This Automatic Transmission consists of a: LR ( Low and Reverse Brake ), 2-4( 2-4 Brake ), UD ( Under Drive Clutch ), OD ( Over Drive Clutch ), REV ( Reverse Clutch ).
DTC Description

The PCM/TCM checks the Low and Reverse Control Signal by monitoring the feedback signal from the solenoid valve drive circuit. If an unexpected signal is monitored (for example, high voltage is detected when low voltage is expected, or low voltage is detected when high voltage is expected), the PCM/TCM judges that the Low and Reverse control solenoid circuit is malfunctioning and sets this code.

16 P0755 Fail Safe 3
 PCSV-A(OD&LR ) SOLENOID VALVE CIRCUIT - OPEN or SHORT(GND)

The Automatic Transmission changes the gear position of the transmission utilizing a combination of Clutches and Brakes, which are controlled by solenoid valves. This Automatic Transmission consists of a: LR ( Low and Reverse Brake ), 2-4( 2-4 Brake ), UD ( Under Drive Clutch ), OD ( Over Drive Clutch ), REV ( Reverse Clutch ).
DTC Description

The PCM/TCM checks the Over Drive Clutch Control/Low & Reverse Brake Signal by monitoring the feedback signal from the solenoid valve drive circuit. If an unexpected signal is monitored (for example, high voltage is detected when low voltage is expected, or low voltage is detected when high voltage is expected), the PCM/TCM judges that Under Drive Clutch contorl solenoid circuit is malfunctioning and sets this code.

17 P0760 Fail Safe 3
 PCSV-B(2-4 SOLENOID VALVE) CIRCUIT - OPEN or SHORT(GND)

DTC Description

The PCM/TCM checks the 2-4 SOLENOID VALVE Control Signal by monitoring the feedback signal from the solenoid valve drive circuit .If an unexpected signal is monitored, ( For example, high voltage is detected when low voltage is expected or low voltage is detected when high voltage is expected) the PCM/TCM judges that 2nd Brake drive contorl solenoid circuit is malfunctioning and sets this code.

18 P0765 Fail Safe 3
 PCSV-C(UD) SOLENOID VALVE CIRCUIT - OPEN or SHORT(GND)

DTC Description

The PCM/TCM checks the Under Drive Clutch Control Signal by monitoring the feedback signal from the solenoid valve drive circuit. If an unexpected signal is monitored (for example, high voltage is detected when low voltage is expected or low voltage is detected when high voltage is expected), the PCM/TCM judges that the OVER DRIVE CLUTCH drive control solenoid circuit is malfunctioning and sets this code.

19 U0001
 CAN TIME OUT

The TCM can either receive data from the Engine Control Module or ABS control module, or it can send data to the ECM and ABSCM by using CAN communication. The CAN communicaton is one of the vehicle communications method, which is now widely used to transfer the vehicle data.
DTC Description

The TCM reads data on the CAN-BUS line and checks whether the data is equal to the data which the TCM sent before. If the data is not the same the TCM decides that either the CAN-BUS line or TCM are malfuncting and sets this code

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:03:15 by tw2005 »

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Rightey ho awsome info

I need to get a scanner hooked up and lets see what it spits out. Hope fully some thing or else the slippery boat ramp may be next stop?
cheers

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Rightey ho awsome info

I need to get a scanner hooked up and lets see what it spits out. Hope fully some thing or else the slippery boat ramp may be next stop?
cheers
I've just highlighted what the manual states that can trip failsafe, some say 2-3 selectable, some say 3 but the manual can be vague.

It could be electrical with heat but then if the valve body is worn out heat could also alter tolerances / clearances etc so that too affects how it functions and pressures as well.,

If you had to pick what the most common failure for these would be I would pick valve body.

One thing not mentioned, how many ks? how the transmission has been serviced through it's life? How often flushed, how it's been flushed etc etc.

My personal take on this is regular fluid changes would be a good idea. I think 100000k is too long, I prefer 60000k and I currently use penrite Full Syn, have also used Mitsubishi genuine SP3.

The valve bodies in these had a part number change and the same VB is also used in some other 4spd boxes. They are known to wear.

A4CF2 is the box also a4CF1 is the lighter duty version, should be enough reading on these and their issues using google.

I think $1100 delivered from Korea, dealers, bend over and grab your ankles.

If I was in a pinch and short on dollars I'd try and find a low k box, any box that had the same VB, remove it and swap it into existing, can be done with box in vehicle. One of mine had paperwork showing a VB change at a private mechanic and $2500 comes to mind.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Brilliant work Gerard! Thanks so much! :hatoff: :clapthanks: :thanks:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Thanks for all of this gerard
Its nice to know others are out there to help and put some time behind the scenes to work out solving the problems.
Do you think it is still worth my while hooking up a scanner to see if any code pops up
Cheers Mate

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Stirling effort Gerard. :goodjob2: I must say kiwias ' description made me think, torque converter. :undecided:
But valve body being virtually the only failing part ( and fairly rare) I would be looking hard at that.

If this was anytime last week, I could have come for a drive mate, I was in Whangarei  :rolleyes:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Silly question but if the engine light comes on that should indicate some things wrong??. But according to local Hyundai dealer it may not pin point the true fault??.
Ive just taken the car  for another short drive and driving fine but still with engine light on. It only seems to happen when the car has been for a legthy drive and engine and gear box maybe warmed up a lot more??. Does not seem to happen just around town.
The engine light also disappears by its self when going properly again. I did not think the engine light would correct its self and the only way was with a scanner to reset

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Silly question but if the engine light comes on that should indicate some things wrong??. But according to local Hyundai dealer it may not pin point the true fault??.
Ive just taken the car  for another short drive and driving fine but still with engine light on. It only seems to happen when the car has been for a lengthy drive and engine and gear box maybe warmed up a lot more??. Does not seem to happen just around town.
The engine light also disappears by its self when going properly again. I did not think the engine light would correct its self and the only way was with a scanner to reset
Codes don't always pinpoint the fault but certainly would give clues. Some faults need clearing some if not repeated for X number of cycles self clear but could remain in the history.

I recently worked on a car I purchased faulty,  by the time I got the vehicle running it had no current codes but plenty stored in history.

I have a factory level tool. 

If your not going to scan it, what's the plan of attack? Might be time to skip the dealer and find a respectable Auto Trans specialist.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Codes don't always pinpoint the fault but certainly would give clues. Some faults need clearing some if not repeated for X number of cycles self clear but could remain in the history. 

If your not going to scan it, what's the plan of attack? Might be time to skip the dealer and find a respectable Auto Trans specialist.

If there is one thing the dealer has said that is correct, codes are not definitive! They may point directly at a faulty component or lead to an associated fault. Or, as in this case ( I suspect) go to some erroneous area, like the inlet flap.

The dealer's mechanic has pissed about wasting your $1000 and claimed an electrical plug was loose so that he could justify his gouging.

Too often we see this sort of thing happening to other members. As Gerard has advised, find an independent shop with some old school mechanics who work on a variety of makes and models.

After some sleep, I consulted the crystal ball:phone1: She advises me thus: intermittent electrical connection within, or going to, the valve body eg. bad solder joints or wire fracture. See Link.

Ball  :phone1: also points to the often perfect performance of the transmission. This is not characteristic of a mechanical failure such as a permanently worn valve body.

Ball  :phone1: also commends Gerard's early comment that money wasted should have been spent on new or 2nd hand valve body.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Amazing what a blokes balls can tell them  :rofl:
In NZ. Any idea where i could track down a second hand or recond if such a thing valve body

Cheers

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :mrgreen:

Same as here Bro, wreckers for old low kms one or ebay for a new one. While back, a wrecker on the Gold Coast had new from Korea for $800

As Gerard said, can be changed why box is still in the car. DIY if you are handy on the tools.

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Just been on ebay. appears to br several ? options for valve bodies. Could you steer me to the correct and appropriate one to purchase please
2008 i30 elite diesel 16ltr turbo hatch back auto
Cheers

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Just been on ebay. appears to br several ? options for valve bodies. Could you steer me to the correct and appropriate one to purchase please
2008 i30 elite diesel 16ltr turbo hatch back auto
Cheers

Links or description for what you're looking at on Ebay?

What are the wrecking yards like there?

I still think more fault finding could be adviseable here. What I think or anybody else, does not mean we're right.

I',e just pasted some random threads, may pay to do a search using valve body and read up on other histories.

Unfortunately a lot of people do not come back with the resolution so we never know if it was fixed, or what.

:link: Yet another transmission problem or something else

Note comments from Cruiserfield

:link: TCM (Transmission Control Module) location

:link: Automatic 2-3 shift issues.

:link: I30 1.6 Crdi 5 years old automatic transmission failed - NO REVERSE GEAR

Part numbers were, the latter superceeds

4621023000, 4621023020

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:40:15 by tw2005 »

Offline kiwias

• 2nd Gear

• Northland New Zealand
Hi again
Sorry been away. Just a thought as to where to start the trail to discover the problem. I am not sure if the car is having a transmission fault or if it is going into limp mode. I do not know what the signs are of limp mode in the make and model. A previous car went into limp mode and would only let me travel at 40km it being a manual mond you. Could this car being going into limp mode for what ever reason?. So if it is in limp mode and the engine light comes on and i plug a scanner in should it read the problem?? It may not even be the trans at all. Could it be some sensor or so

Cheers

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal