Wanted: ideas!

The Gonz · 82 · 16181

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
With the easier-than-expected addition of a reversing cam, I'm now stumped as to how I should spruce up Firty further.

She has cruise control and climate control as standard and over time I've added GPS and reversing camera. I'm not that enthused about crdashcam.

What's next in the gadget world?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
HUD

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 22:38:20 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Modern stereo - Race Chip - close proximity key system with push button start - DRL's

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Remote windows up/down...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 22:36:03 by tw2005 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
NOS
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 22:35:41 by tw2005 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Fuzzy Dice

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Rocket launcher

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :eek: :rofl:

:workitout:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
HUD and Coffee machine,

Can't lose  :faint:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
So one of the giveaways among the stands at the Civil Security conference was a wireless charging pad, a neat flat square that connects via a cable to a USB supply.

I note that newer cars support wireless charging of later model smartphones, the tech reason being that both the cars and the phones have had induction pads built into them.

The charging pad I now have has inspired me to scan the marketplace and the material costs are ridiculously cheap. Now I ask:

How many members would be interested in getting their phones and cars to use wireless charging?  :wait:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Gonz, If my iPhone 7+ had WC built in I'd take you up on that, though power to the car pad would need to come from elsewhere as the USB port is dedicated to Apple play.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Gonz, If my iPhone 7+ had WC built in I'd take you up on that, though power to the car pad would need to come from elsewhere as the USB port is dedicated to Apple play.
@CraigB, you underestimate my appetite for nil impact modding. I wouldn't propose using up any of your existing ports.

Instead, I'd tap any nearby 12V wiring source to generate 3A of new USB power ($1) and add a charging receiver pad to you phone (another $1).  The most expensive item is the charger pad itself ($13), and I'd study your car's layout for how to build it in, probably under some thin black foam in a tray to stay invisible. :lol:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@CraigB, you underestimate my appetite for nil impact modding. I wouldn't propose using up any of your existing ports.

Instead, I'd tap any nearby 12V wiring source to generate 3A of new USB power ($1) and add a charging receiver pad to you phone (another $1).  The most expensive item is the charger pad itself ($13), and I'd study your car's layout for how to build it in, probably under some thin black foam in a tray to stay invisible. :lol:
Are you coming to Perth to fit it for me :fingers:

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
So one of the giveaways among the stands at the Civil Security conference was a wireless charging pad, a neat flat square that connects via a cable to a USB supply.

I note that newer cars support wireless charging of later model smartphones, the tech reason being that both the cars and the phones have had induction pads built into them.

The charging pad I now have has inspired me to scan the marketplace and the material costs are ridiculously cheap. Now I ask:

How many members would be interested in getting their phones and cars to use wireless charging?  :wait:

I use a "normal" wireless charger, acts as a phone holder too !!
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My car already has it..  :happydance: (and my S8 phone.) Thought about getting a wireless pad for home though. Didn't think they were very expensive on ebay or Kogan?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yep. For a trader to give them away I wouldn't expect them to be all that expensive. Here's a nice one for $12.

:link: Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad - Black :: CellPhoneCases.com

And a cheap one!

:link: Universal Qi Wireless Power Charging Charger Pad For Mobile Phone for iPhone 6 7 8 samsung htc

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I am more likely to use Ebay or Kogan, but that's cheap!  :Shocked:

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Yep. For a trader to give them away I wouldn't expect them to be all that expensive. Here's a nice one for $12.

:link: Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad - Black :: CellPhoneCases.com

And a cheap one!

:link: Universal Qi Wireless Power Charging Charger Pad For Mobile Phone for iPhone 6 7 8 samsung htc

mine was about the same coin, similar to this

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Found another option :link: Amazon.com: QI Receiver for IPhone 5- 5c- SE- 6- 6 Plus- 7- 7 Plus? YKing IPhone Wireless Receiver? QI Receiver? Charging Receiver - Lightning QI Wireless handy for home charging though not needed for the car as Apple Play will charge it anyway, only annoying thing would be unplugging the WC card to plug in Apple play every time in the car.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's why I might add WC to Firty eventually. I've grown to hate having to handle cables to make and break the connections (self-defeating).

Remember, I wire my gadgets independently of the existing USB ports - in fact I've already added another of my own for multiple devices.

For WC, I won't even have cabling visible :victory:

As for swapping out the WC card, I'd probably design a neat 'double adapter' style connection so the socket on the phone is still available through the card's connection, just needs some targeted googling. Besides, in my case, I'm adding WC to an old Android and an FD, so my connection needs are only for power anyway, besides bluetooth with my GPS for hands free.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 13:08:14 by The Gonz »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If Apple Car Play would work wirelessly I'd have WC installed in a jiffy :)

BMW introduced wireless car play back in early 2017, probably a few more years before it rolls out to the POV packs :undecided:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Looking at all the current approaches, I guess it makes a smart cradle about the easiest thing for most people, especially if they look to using the phone screen for anything like GPS.

I'd expect the evolution to go towards the smartphone being the brains of the car's comms and entertainment system anyway, with voice prompting already delivering hands free.

Do people still really want their car builder providing their satnav solution? :confused:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Do people still really want their car builder providing their satnav solution? :confused:

Not me, cant stand the built in factory navigation systems, they're mostly a year or more behind in map updates when compared to my Garmin device or the Tomtom Go Mobile on my phone.

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
I find wireless charging (S8) to be a lot slower than a dedicated cable on a QC charger.
Also, when charging in the car with phone sitting in consol, often forget to take phone with me when getting out of can. Just need a reminder like the new PD has!!
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I find wireless charging (S8) to be a lot slower than a dedicated cable on a QC charger.
Also, when charging in the car with phone sitting in consol, often forget to take phone with me when getting out of can. Just need a reminder like the new PD has!!

Yes, that reminder is a great idea. It even dings and brings up the message if you stay in the car for a bit, just before the screen switches itself off.  :goodjob:

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach

Nope, I use my portable tom tom unit. The Hyundai satnav is garbage and I hate google maps.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nope, I use my portable tom tom unit. The Hyundai satnav is garbage and I hate google maps.

I've actually found my PD GPS better than I expected.  I used it a bit on our big trip and the rest of the time i used google maps as easier to input addresses with android auto voice. I thought taking our Garmin as well might have been overkill!  :crazy1:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal