i30 Owners Club

Best price for PD SR Premium filter kit?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hey, boys and girls, I'm after the best known price for a set of regular filters for Mrs G's 10,000 km service. Happy to take advice on eBay or SuperCheap specials. Our son is a qualified mechanic. We just want to do the parts prep. Now that I think of it, tips on oil at a good price are also appreciated.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wttc: I hope you enjoy the site..  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
No current sales on at the moment that I can find Gonz :( my preference of oil would be Penrite :link: Penrite Full Synthetic Engine Oil - 5W-30 6 Litre | Supercheap Auto with a matching synthetic oil filter :link: Ryco Syntec Oil Filter (Interchangeable with Z79A) - Z79AST | Supercheap Auto

If you're after standard I'm not sure what a OEM kit would cost though it would probably be more than a aftermarket filter kit :link: FILTER KIT for Hyundai i30 PD G4FJ 1.6L G4NC 2L 4/17 ON | eBay

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@The Gonz
That name does sound familiar.  :lol:
Can't your son score them at trade prices ?  :undecided:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Just use genuine filters they are cheap enough. Dont use cheap Chinese crap like RYCO. I always use genuine filters as they are cheaper  a lot of the time and you know that they fit right.  As far as oil goes just make sure you use the specified grade 5w30 A5 , personally I use Castrol as it is cheap when on special.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Mr President, @Dazzler

I was thinking along the same lines except in this case I was going to suggest that the members'  subscription had expired so a payment would be required to maintain currency and status.

However, in light of the fact the member is experiencing hardship having to call in family favours and mates rates on consumables to keep their new PD i30 current and serviceable I would like to propose we waive this fee.............

all those in favour?

:snigger:   :crap:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:rofl: :rofl: :judges:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Just use genuine filters they are cheap enough. Dont use cheap Chinese crap like RYCO.
Where did you hear that rubbish :link: Company | Air Filters, Oil Filters and Fuel Filters | Ryco Filters | Automotive Filters Australia

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/buying-guides/ryco-filters

RYCO and Wesfil are both Australian companies and their filters are used/rebranded throughout the world, SAKURA are another popular filter by Japanese manufacturers.

All the above filters are typically 89% efficiency though the newer RYCO SYNTEC filters are 99.8% efficiency with increased flow rates and larger filter surface area via more pleats. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 13:27:02 by CraigB »

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
RYCO  may be an Australian company but their products are cheap crap with the majority made in china. RYCO do not supply OEM. I have used mainly genuine filters for years now as most manufacturers have fairly reasonable prices for service consumables. I maintain 3 Mercedes Benz vehicles and use Mann Hummel filters for these as they are easier to get and are  great OEM quality made in Germany and cheap, for example $11 retail for an oil filter that is the same as the genuine Benz part only in a different box. The same filter from RYCO us $36 retail and made in China . Same goes with filters for an FG Falcon with RYCO being way dearer than genuine.
Wesfil/Cooper are part of RYCO or as they are otherwise known GUD Holdings although not all parts are the same with some Wesfil filters coming from different suppliers.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 16:41:13 by NotaN »
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Whether they are made in China or anywhere else matters little as they still comply to Australian standards.

As for price I can purchase Ryco for $13 and Genuine for $15 or Ryco Syntec for $21 which is a small amount extra to pay for one of the most effective filters available

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
If they were that good they would be oem especially nowdays with factory warranties getting longer. In all my years in the industry the only oil filter I ever saw cause an engine failure was a RYCO. To their credit they paid for all repairs. As I said earlier though if it's not good enough for OEM it's definitely not good enough for me. RYCO manufacturer is slopy especially with their glue application at times even causing restriction especially with Diesel fuel filters. I serviced a  100 series landcruiser at Christmas and the air filter element had seperated from the body of the filter all within 11000km, replaced with genuine that was $20 cheaper than RYCO.  I was offered a tour of the RYCO head office by their CEO Guy Nicholls a few weeks back after mentioning their inferior products on a forum he monitors,  I said if he could demonstrate their superiority over genuine I would love a look around their warehouse, unfortunately he wasn't able to do that.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Why would anyone in the eastern states be posting at 4am  :crazy1: (Oh hang on)  :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I beg to differ on their quality, many OEM products and parts can be better or worse than aftermarket and even the best brands can have the odd faulty part...you’ve seen one faulty filter so now they’re all shit :rolleyes:

I’ve personally used Ryco products for over 30 years and never seen a problem, including my race years relying mostly Ryco or K&N.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Why would anyone in the eastern states be posting at 4am  :crazy1: (Oh hang on)  :D
I don't know. .  :head_knock:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I've never had an issue with Ryco.

I do recall many moons ago in the days of the old Z9 filter stacking a shelf with a new batch of Ryco filters that had clearly been resprayed over motorcraft.

The only issue I can see in using non OEM filters is if there is a failure, you have buck passing as to who is at fault. Though if you buy grey import OEM you may find the stealer tries to say they are counterfeit.

I have used OEM, Ryco, Wesfil, Cooper and Nippon Max and none have given me issues.

I suspect it is a case of filters are filters, use what makes you happy.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Arent they included with the scheduled service.... or does your dealer request bring your own ?
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Arent they included with the scheduled service.... or does your dealer request bring your own ?

Gonz's Son is a qualified mechanic...  :cool:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Oops. almost forgot. What's the compatible Ryco model fuel filter for the PD petrol? :confused:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oops. almost forgot. What's the compatible Ryco model fuel filter for the PD petrol? :confused:

Pretty sure it's a 79A ( one of the most common)

If you search by vehicle on Supercheap site it will help you.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Pretty sure it's a 79A ( one of the most common)

If you search by vehicle on Supercheap site it will help you.
I already have the Z79AST OIL filter, Dazz. Just assuming the 10,000K service would include a FUEL filter change as well (I could be wrong).
As for SuperCheap, I'm there now but it tends to throw up a bunch of aftermarket gear as well which doesn't match the OEM.

<<EDIT>>

Never mind, I just found the part in the owner's manual that says the fuel filter doesn't get replaced until 60,000K :happydance:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:39:15 by The Gonz »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@The Gonz Sorry mate. At ease Sir!  :snigger: Didn't pick up the word Fuel.  :crazy1:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Turns out that as talented and in demand as he is, he hasn't paid the protection money to the RAA to wear the label, so he can't do logbook work. :crazy1:

Now we're set to book in to our local mechanic, a highly respected, honest, no nonsense owner / operator we've used before. We'll hand over the oil and filter we've sourced ourselves.

Here's a logbook question for you: will he need to source an air cleaner to satisfy the logbook level of servicing integrity (for our PD's 10,000 km service)?

If so, I've read that the only viable option in Australia is the K&N washable filter. I don't mind the idea but will he be likely to source it at a reasonable price or should I buy that myself?

Maybe I can convince the mechanic to stamp the service on the proviso the filter eventually arrives.  :confused:

:link: K&N 33-5050 HYUNDAI i30 & ELANTRA (2017, 2018) (interchangeable with 28113-F2000, WA5447) - Sydney Filters
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:48:06 by The Gonz »

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Would it not be easier and more beneficial  to just use your local dealer. A 10k service will cost $269 and will give you roadside assistance for 12 months, sat nav updates will be applied if relevant and service campaigns will also be taken care of.  I personally don't use the dealer network for servicing  but am a qualified mechanic with an ABN  and can stamp my own books I also only use genuine parts and keep the invoices for them. I recently serviced my wife's PD SR and it cost me a total of $131 for the 30k service that included oil & filter, air filter and brake fluid.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Turns out that as talented and in demand as he is, he hasn't paid the protection money to the RAA to wear the label, so he can't do logbook work. :crazy1:

Now we're set to book in to our local mechanic, a highly respected, honest, no nonsense owner / operator we've used before. We'll hand over the oil and filter we've sourced ourselves.

Here's a logbook question for you: will he need to source an air cleaner to satisfy the logbook level of servicing integrity (for our PD's 10,000 km service)?

If so, I've read that the only viable option in Australia is the K&N washable filter. I don't mind the idea but will he be likely to source it at a reasonable price or should I buy that myself?

Maybe I can convince the mechanic to stamp the service on the proviso the filter eventually arrives.  :confused:

:link: K&N 33-5050 HYUNDAI i30 & ELANTRA (2017, 2018) (interchangeable with 28113-F2000, WA5447) - Sydney Filters
Shouldn't need the air filter changed till the 2 year/20 thou service Gonz, though the K&N would still be a better choice and save money in the long run compared to replacing the standard one every so often    :link: K&N Panel Air Filter (33-5050) 24844364487 | eBay

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Shouldn't need the air filter changed till the 2 year/20 thou service Gonz, though the K&N would still be a better choice and save money in the long run compared to replacing the standard one every so often    :link: K&N Panel Air Filter (33-5050) 24844364487 | eBay

:whsaid: I only paid $100 back in late 2017.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The service came in at $138 using our oil and oil filter. As @CraigB  said, air cleaner wasn't needed. He rotated the tyres as well. :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal