i30 Owners Club

Audio problem I30 1.5 DPI (Trend, year 2021)

RS · 17 · 12839

Offline RS

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
Hi all,

I have big problems with the audio of my new I30 (Trend, year 2021). This is very basic audio, only radio, USB and bluetooth phone are enabled, as 'Trend' is the basic. It constantly makes a 'mosquito like' sound, which isn't very loud but it is still audible and pretty annoying and bothers me a lot.

After switching  audio off it usually goes away but not always. Sometimes I need to press audio button on and off many times to cancel this sound (only dissapears in clock display mode).

Does anybody know the solution of this? Hyundai repair service here said they are not able to fix this, which is unbelievable, but as you see, it happens... Maybee this is a kind of 'audio Corona' :lol:

Otherwise, this is my 4th Hyundai, the first beeing Pony in '90, after that was Accent, I20 and I never had anything else but some minor issues with Hyundais.
  • i30 2021

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hyundai repair service here said they are not able to fix this, which is unbelievable
Yes that is indeed unbelievable for a new car. That must be a warranty issue which you should strongly challenge the dealer and Hyundai in your country.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline RS

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
Thanks, but Hyundai repair service at first try to fix the problem. But they were totally unsuccesful and even more, they claim other new cars with the same level of equipment have the same problem (which is a bad excuse for their incompetence).

I was curious about that statement and they showed me (OK, only one) brand new I20 with the same problem. For them it seems only me complain about that annoying sound!  So their  conclusion was that this is a normal behaviour for audio of  i30 Trend, i20 Trend etc. Brilliant!

Of course warranty is 2 years for an audio, so I have time. I think we'll finish our dispute with Hyundai repair service  in court, of course this is  stupid, but as you see... It would be better to fix this in a normal way, maybe a good technician should find an error quickly.

Otherwise the car is fine, drives comfortable and safe (it is not a sporty car, but this was expected) consumption is 5.8 litres on the highway, one litre more in town, which is not too much. Only this terrible audio. :fum: :fum:

I also noticed that AFTER switching the engine off a very similar high pitch sound comes from engine space and lasts few seconds. Usually it is accompanying with some 'clicks', I suppose this comes from relays. This doesn't seem to be normal for me. Or it is? Is this somehow connected to the described  audio problems?
  • i30 2021

Offline filthyPierre

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Queensland
So, does this mosquito-like noise come from the audio system's speakers? This may be due to poor fitment locally - usually the cars are shipped from Korea (or Czech Republic for the i30N) without radios or nav systems. These are fitted locally once the car arrives in the country and before being sent to dealers. This way they can put whatever is specific to your country in your country, they don't have to ship a whole bunch of different radio variants from Korea.

So, if the noise is coming from the audio system's speakers, it could possibly be a bad (or missing) noise suppressor somewhere - car electrical systems, especially the ignition system, produce lots of electrical noise which can manifest via the radio system as buzzing or other annoying noise if there are no noise suppressors. Noise suppressors are usually a black cylinder on a cable near the plugs (sometimes at both ends). Inside is basically a cylindrical iron-rich core that absorbs any noise that might be transmitted from elsewhere in the car and picked up by the radio - wires basically act as antennae so the iron cores (chokes) try to stop any interference from getting through. Sometimes they work well, other times, not so much.

If your dealer isn't fixing it and using the old "they all do it" excuse, contact your country's Hyundai importer and complain to them. They will usually be more likely to take notice than a dealer.

Good luck!

P.S. Your other noise, hissing and clicking is most likely just the car shutting down. You'll probably notice similar noises when you turn the ignition on before you start the engine.

• 2020 PD i30 NLine Premium, 1.6lt, DC, Liquid Metal

Offline RS

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
Hi and thanks for suggestions! The sound comes from the audio system speakers (front and rear). This car originates from the Czech republic, but i think our local dealer didn't fit the audio here (too much job for them), probably it was fitted in the Czech republic.  The ignition system is not suspicious causing this problem as this  sound is present even when the engine is completely off.  Next time I will tell the guys at repair service  to check those iron-ferrite filter blocks (against interferrence problems), if they exist here at all.
Here you can find that sound, to get better picture how it looks like.  Turn the volume up, as it is not loud.

:link: hyundai i30 1.5 DPI TREND - AUDIO problem - YouTube

Best regards!
  • i30 2021

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
That sounds like radio interference from a processor or something electronic, not ignition interference. But that was discounted, as you say you get it with engine off.
Question: Do you have your mobile phone or some similar radiating electronic device near the radio or it's antenna?

Ah. You are I guess using your phone to film the video. I assume you get the same interference when your phone is way out of the car. Have you removed all other electronic items, phones, ipods, laptops, etc etc leaving the car empty. When empty do you still get the interference?
I am wondering if it is a bad DC/DC converter within the audio system that is creating the noise.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 16:09:33 by Greyhound »
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline RS

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
If I have a smartphone in the car or  not, there is the same situation. Also I've checked there are no other electronic devices in the car or near it and it was always the same... In the city, in the forest, everywhere, day or night - anytime. Switching the lights on, wipers etc., - no effect. I've also tried to cover the DAB antenna with a metal box for cookies (Faraday c.) and then remove it, but hear no difference at all, so I think it doesn't come from antenna either.

Real nightmare, luckily it is not very loud, but it is always audible during quite parts of  the music.

I think it will be the best to throw this Hyundai's radio junkware in the garbage and buy a decent audio form Pioneer or Kenwood.
  • i30 2021

Offline Svemogucci

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb

• 2021 PD 5 Door Hatch, Gasoline 1.5, Manual, White
Hi, i have the same problem with buzzing of audio unit and the same statement from the dealers that this is 'normal'. This is true however, because every hyundai with this type of audio unit is having this issue...why there is so few of us owners trying to get the seller to fix this, i really dont know, because this buzzing is quite annoying.
That said, i'm trying for over 8 months to get seller to fix this, but with no success so far. But, 2 months ago they send me a message that the manufacturer will send modified audio unit and they will install it after arrivial at the dealer shop.
So, there is hope:)...
But, that was like i said, 2 monhts ago and still i'm waiting for a call.
  • Hyundai i30 2021

Offline RS

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
Hello, still the same problem after more than a year! Never buy any Hyundai car again! https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/Smileys/default/thumb-down.gif. Complete ignorants, they ignore their customers for a  small price of a basic audio! Really very 'clever marketing solution'  if they are still hoping they sell me another car of this brand next time. Come on... Or this is a special Hyundai edition audio only for ex Balkan states??

So Mr. Svemogucci, please let us know, when your modified audio finally arrives, I'am very curious about that.

Best wishes!
  • i30 2021

Offline Svemogucci

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb

Hope wasnt long lasting. I contacted the dealer to see if this modified unit arrived, but they dont even have open request for it - they said, when i have send them this email for proof, that maybe hyundai representative order this so i should contact them. When i ask them to give me a contact, they said that they dont have it, and when i ask them to give me an adress, they said  its the same as ours..lol...they are not just a dealers, they are also a hyundai representative!!
They i knew that all of this is just a lie, they dont have any real intention of finding a solution. Basically, operator confirm this by saying that audio unit performs normally and they dont have any complaints from other customers, only me.
Crazy.. :crazy1:
So, i will now try to contact hyundai foreign office and make a complain regarding this issue. Probably they will say the same thing...that this is normal. After that i will report the dealership to state inspectorate and demand my consumer rights.
But this is all quite annoyence and i wonder if its worth the fight. This audio unit is just piece of shit.
  • Hyundai i30 2021

Offline RS

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
Hello Svemogucci!

The same as here... I'am 'the only one' who complains about their  (the dealer is AutoBinck) 'normal' radio. It seems at least here in Balkan are  two 'only ones':)

I think the Europe Hyundai guys (in fact these cars come from the factory in Czech republic)  gave instructions to dealers not to even try to fix this problem, because they know very well they are selling us a piece of shit. They hope most of people are deaf or stupid or both and they will cope easily with minority of others. One of Hyundai repair services here even sugested that I shall listen to the loud folk music and I will not notice that annoying sound. In the meantime warranty will end and  this model will 'go out of production' so the problem won't exist any more for them.

All cars can have problems, even Lexus, but only good brands take care of their customers and that' the difference!
As I've said before I was always satisfied with Hyundais, I've drove them from 1990 till now, but I will never again buy this brand :fum:. They are not the same as before, they don't care about customers at all and this is the best sign of bad company.

Please let us others know if you'll succeed.

Best regards!
  • i30 2021

Offline amp

• 1st Gear
Hello, I have identical issue with my i30 Comfort year 2022. The "buzzing" sound  from the radio unit starts when i start the car, even when radio is off. If I turn the radio on and then off again, the sound stops, but whenever I turn on the radio that sound is there... I am planning to drive it to dealers repair service because of this.
  • Hyundai i30 2022

Offline Svemogucci

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb

Dont get your hopes high, only solution is to install different audio unit, but that probably wont happen talking from my experience with the dealership.

I wonder however is audio unit from previous i30 have that buzzing sound, it should be the same unit. Or just look the same.
  • Hyundai i30 2021

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I didnt read the whole thread but this sounds like an earthing problem

Offline Svemogucci

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb

NEW DEVELOPMENT! - just got call from dealership that they have received an improved version of the radio unit which the manufacturer claims should eliminate the buzzing noise problem. I have an appointment at the end of the month to change the radio, so I'll let you know if this solves the problem.
At least it sounds more serious and professional from Hyundai, finger crossed...
  • Hyundai i30 2021

Offline amp

• 1st Gear
That would be great. I visited the dealership's repair service for unrelated issue and had no luck with this radio thing. If this can be solved I'll surely press them with it  :D
  • Hyundai i30 2022

Offline Svemogucci

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb

FIXED! - repaire service changed the radio unit and there is no more buzzing noise. They said it's modified unit send from the manufacturer. It's the same model, but looks like they modified something which made the buzzing sounds, but i cant say what because dealership was clueless also.
  • Hyundai i30 2021

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal