i30 Owners Club

Juddering at around 1500rpm

IanB · 3 · 8410

Offline IanB

• 1st Gear

• Reading
I realise this topic has been aired before. My situation sounds a little different. My car, a 59 plate,  has driven >160k miles relatively trouble free. At about 95k and just before the 5 year warranty ended I had a complete engine rebuild due to the wrong coolant being used at manufacture. The car has continued to run fine until last year.
I now get a violent juddering at about 1500 rpm ( just cruising at 30-40mph ) as if I am i the wrong gear and the engine is stalling. Going manual shows I am in 3 and if I change to 2 the revs go to > 2000 and the problem goes. If I go back to 3 it will re-occur. If I am going slightly uphill or if the car is cold there is no problem.
I know this is a dumb question but how many gears are there in the auto gearbox? Could I have "lost" one? or is it a control issue of not recognising the load on the engine  and adjusting the gearing to match it?

• i30 1.6cdi

Offline IanB

• 1st Gear

• Reading
Further to my post above, I took my car to Hyundai and paid for their expert opinion.
I wasn't too impressed with the report which couldn't find a fault ( no codes!). As I had told them this at the start I was rather hoping for a more incisive conclusion than "we could replace the injectors and then the fuel pump."
However they did put in some Hyundai diesel fuel additive and I am pleased to say performance has improved considerably and the judder has disappeared! I'll see what happens when I next fill-up.
  • i30 1.6cdi

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hmmm... sorry you didn't get much feedback from the forum.

Does sound like the injectors needed life breathing into them...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal