i30 Owners Club

Help please, car won't start or crank over? Family car

Offline Voorhees2022

• 1st Gear

• Redcar and cleveland
Hello, guys. Hoping someone can shed some light on this. It's my family car and we heavily rely on this for work commutes, child care, etc.

Hyundai i30 1.4 petrol
 Car has been fine, started yesterday as normal. Within a few seconds of pulling away, I forgot something and turned the engine off, nipped into the house, came back out to find the car wouldn't start.

At first, I thought 'battery issue', called RAC breakdown out, they tested battery fine, electrics and locks, etc. Still working...

Car won't crank over with main key or spare I have

Mechanic couldn't get it started, advised not sure what the issue is, could be a security issue (immobiliser), a control module or some wiring loose or has snapped and is preventing the car turning over.

I've read on this forum and others that it could be the key not responding properly to the vehicle or something to do with the immobiliser, basically has stuck and is stopping the car being cranked over.

Key fob works, alarm doesn't go off as is able to lock and unlock the car. I disconnected the battery and allowed the car to reset itself and still have no luck. Please anyone suggest anything ?

I'll have to get the car towed which, thankfully, RAC will cover. I'm thinking an electrical garage, as I don't think it's something mechanical? Anyone any suggestions? Below is what i have tried:

Replaced battery in key fob: no difference and car still locks and unlocks
Disconnected battery and allowed car to reset in case not recognising key properly?
Checked wires and plugs around battery: all seem okay, nothing corroded, loose, etc.
RAC mechanic ran diagnostic tool and I used my basic reader, no error codes brought up
Fuse box has been checked by mechanic: all we're fine

Dashboard /tacho has immobiliser icon fully lit up when is in ignition but again car will not crank, no clicking from inside, although a clicking can be heard when the bonnet is up while trying to start the car

I've also tried my best to check the clutch pedal sensor that pushes in: is okay, not sure if could be that as if not registering the clutch is depressed, as car won't start without depressed clutch, but seems to push in okay?
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
It looks like you have already methodically checked out most things I can think of.

Have you tried your spare key?

I believe the clutch switch has been found guilty before now. How did you test that switch is working?

• i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline Voorhees2022

• 1st Gear

• Redcar and cleveland
It looks like you have already methodically checked out most things I can think of.

Have you tried your spare key?

I believe the clutch switch has been found guilty before now. How did you test that switch is working?

I assumed it worked as doesn't seem loose and is accessible, I asked directly on Facebook under the same i30 owners , few people advises starter motor itself, upon giving it and other try on pudh starting it started no problems and after engine was off same issue but this time a loud click followed by faint clicks, seems to be the starter motor has gone or is siezed up  so going to get it to a garage to get it looked at and/predictions replaced but thank you for response as car is lifeline like many people so needed some quick advice :)
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
This is not safe! This is not a permanent solution! This is trouble shooting only! Do this at your own risk!

Now we have that out of the way, I'm going to suggest bypassing the clutch switch temporarily to diagnose. Not done one on an i30, but should be a case of 2 spade terminals and a piece of electrical wire - make this into a jumper cable. Plug into clutch switch connector to close the circuit. If it starts, order a new clutch switch. Simply actioning the switch is not the way to test it. You need to be measuring voltages as you do it. I don't think it's the starter, given the symptoms. See how you go with the clutch switch

Offline Piejar

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
Hello! Had the same problem. Observe please immo icon on dashboard. It should disappear (unlit) after you put key in batt position (not in crank position). If it doesn't go off immo (key) is not recognized. This issue was very rare 8n my car but sometimes lasted for longer time. The only thing I did was disassembly of socket/jack joint of immo ring antenna (around keyhole). You don't need to umonut this antenna (coil) just clean and bend a little contacts to 8mprove contacts. I did this maybe 2 yaers ago and problem disappeared.
Key issue is to observe immo control! Car with a key on it
  • 2009 FD 5 Door CW, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Silver

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal