i30 Owners Club

I30 Parking Brake not holding

Offline Fairhaven

• 1st Gear

• England, Tyne and Wear
Hi all,  my 2013 plate failed it's MOT recently due to a parking brake issue.  The garage subsequently stripped it down and I was told I needed 2 new rear calipers - which they fitted.  Following that the parking brake failed to hold on my steep drive , when I took it out of first to start up the engine (which it hadn't before).  I was then told that one of the calipers had failed and that my parking brake cables would need replaced, as they couldn't be tightened anymore.  Again they replaced the defective caliper (under warranty) and I got the 2 cables replaced.  Again once my car was parked on the drive and taken out of first to start up the engine the handbrake was unable to hold the car in place on the drive, and started rolling back.  I was told that my rear brake pads and discs were worn and if I replaced these it should solve the problem, which I did.  However the issue is not resolved.  I can reverse onto the drive and park then put the car in first ok.  However, when I need to drive off, as soon as I take it out of first it rolls back.  Anyone have any ideas what the issue could be?  I've spent over £1k recently on getting this fixed, and the garage are scratching their heads.   
  • i30 Petrol 1.4

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Other than not holding your car on the drive, did the handbrake pass the MoT after you had it fixed? If you've had new rear pads and discs, the pads may need bedding in for a bit before providing maximum braking effort. How steep is your drive?
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal