i30 Owners Club

fuel consumption

foggy · 6 · 2397

Offline foggy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham , England
I am dissapointed in the fuel consumption of my 2016 1.6 diesel with the automatic 7 speed gearbox, I never get better than 48miles per gallon , ( remember this a diesel) my other diesel car of a different make returns 70 miles per gallon on a run on the open road, a bit less in town. what do other users get to the gallon,
  • 2016 i30 1.6 diesel automatic

Offline Bob.W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
Surprised you guys in the UK express it as MPG?  I thought that was just a Yank thing? For those more civilised amongst us on the metric system 48mpg is 4.9l/100km.

I've a diesel PD with the 7-speed DCT and can concur that on long trips I've been unable to do better than around the same fuel economy. Generally always end up with 4.9-5.2l/100km and I'm very conscious of gently accelerating and using momentum as much as possible rather than 'brake to throttle back to brake' driving practices.

I agree this doesn't stack up well against a lot of the other small diesel hatchbacks of comparable size - a friend's Citroen used to get down in the 3.xl/100km. So you're not experiencing anything 'odd' - they're just rather average in this regard which is pretty poor IMHO given they're much newer than a lot of these other more economical vehicles.
  • 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Surprised you guys in the UK express it as MPG?  I thought that was just a Yank thing? For those more civilised amongst us on the metric system 48mpg is 4.9l/100km.

But the US Gallon (3.875L) is smaller than Imperial Gallon (4.546L), so US mpg figures would read even worse.
Although we in UK measure fuel economy as mpg, we buy fuel in litres but beer in pints. You get the idea.

• i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Fuel Consumption Calculator

is always a nice way for our US and UK friends to upgrade their thinking.

My FD 1.6CRDi manual routinely achieves 4.2 or 3 L/hKm and when I'm careful I can get to work and back and keep it as low as 4.1, since the day I bought it.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Bob.W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
Fuel Consumption Calculator

is always a nice way for our US and UK friends to upgrade their thinking.

My FD 1.6CRDi manual routinely achieves 4.2 or 3 L/hKm and when I'm careful I can get to work and back and keep it as low as 4.1, since the day I bought it.

Well you are doing something amazingly well as even Hyundai themselves only claim 4.1l/100km for the FD: https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/details/2012-hyundai-i30-slx-manual-my11/SPOT-ITM-304422/

And thats assumingly with all the 'perks' of their testing which is generally very, very hard to replicate in real life so my hat off to you.  That said still incredibly hard to see why the PD's, with what you'd assume was a generation of improvements and a 7 speed DCT, which should be more efficient than a manual driver (as the DCT version is more economical in factory testing than the manual) is nearly 20%+ worse off than the FD.  Go figure.
  • 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I think it's inevitable. More smarts consume more energy, cleaner Diesel exhaust demands regeneration, which does nothing for overall economy, so I'm not all that surprised.
If you saw me 'hypermiling' (my only imperial term  :lol: ) you might understand my economy figures. I'm also that guy in the left lane of the 110 zone doing 90  :wink:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal