i30 Owners Club

FLOATY SUSPENSION

i30RSA · 32 · 10490

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Any of you guys having trouble keeping your i30 on the road if you hit a bump. I recently hit a bump in the road with my car and it was like the backside was on a waterbed, floating all over the road. Seems like the floaty back suspension is a problem in the i30 and in Hyundais overall.

• i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Our suspensions in Australia are different to yours, if anything, I find the suspension a little taught, but the handling is excellent as a result.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
@DB08 - Well im quoting this guys post:

20mm rear sway bar fitted to an FD
March 15, 2013, 08:13:09 »

'I can notice no change when driving over speed humps with a single rear wheel. This should cause the side of the car that has the wheel on the flat to "squat" a little (more than before) and potentially cause a greater rocking motion. The same thing (but opposite direction rocking) should happen when a back wheel falls into a pothole. As both these things can only occur when the car is already being unsettled both front and back, it's likely that any small change here is effectively masked anyway. So no discernible difference for general driving. I also travelled the road between Mortlake and Warnambool, a truck route, which has lots of broken surface, ripples and sunken dips. It was unpleasant to drive on but it was always so - again, no difference'

My i30 does what he said in the first paragraph
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
@Phil - What distinguishes your suspension from mine ? As far as I know both our cars are build in Nosowitsch in Czeck Republic. Yeah, mine also handles great until it encounters a bump or a pothole in the road, which is when it sways and floats like a fat woman on a stippers pole  :lol: I recently had a loaded car and the entire car dropped past the tires, suspension doesnt seem that stiff to me !

I was so excited to buy this i30 and now its giving me more headaches in the first 3 months than the 2letter German brand gave me in a whole 3 years.
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I was saying no in answer to your question:

Any of you guys having trouble keeping your i30 on the road if you hit a bump.

On my second i30. I'm used to driving many, many different types of cars, including high performance cars, and I have never had trouble keeping either of my i30s on the road. Not even a hint of trouble.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Our cars are different, Australian cars are manufactured in Korea, not Europe, the new wagon just released however, is from Europe, a first for Australia. Suspensions for Korean manufactured cars are definitely beefed up, for Australian conditions.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
@Phil - What distinguishes your suspension from mine ? As far as I know both our cars are build in Nosowitsch in Czeck Republic. Yeah, mine also handles great until it encounters a bump or a pothole in the road, which is when it sways and floats like a fat woman on a stippers pole  :lol: I recently had a loaded car and the entire car dropped past the tires, suspension doesnt seem that stiff to me !

I was so excited to buy this i30 and now its giving me more headaches in the first 3 months than the 2letter German brand gave me in a whole 3 years.
Our Aussie cars (Mine, Phil's, DB08's etc) are NOT built in the Czeck Republic. They are Korean.
And the suspension has been modified to suit Australian conditions. Stiffer springs and shocky rates AFAIK. Certainly mine is as stiff and rides as well over bumps as its predecessor, a Subaru Impreza RV.
A couple of Aussies have modified or expressed an interest in modifying their roll bar but when you read through all of their posts as I have done over a couple of years you (well, I at least) form the opinion it's more "just because they can" than a desperate desire to fix a fault.
So, again. The answer to your question is "No".
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
I must admit its a great car overall but as for the engine problems I mentioned in another part of this blog and for the floaty jumpy suspension, thats problems I never had in the other cars I had. Well, lads, Aus by far has better road conditions then us here in RSA, at least your government or municipality keeps your roads in a reasonable condition BECAUSE THEY HAVE MONEY, I had to personaly fix the potholes in my street with concrete and tarr after I lost a tire on a sharp edge on the pothole, got pissed waiting for the municipality to come fix it, which they promised to do get this 2 years back already, their reason, they dont have money and the machinery got stolen !

Im not too up to date on the suspension thing but too my knowledge the i30 has a torsion beam rear suspension which makes it jumpy and twitchy whereas other brands has independant link rear suspension which is a dare I say 'more advanced' setup then the torsion beam suspension in the i30.

Why Hyundai has to cut back on cost and fit outdated suspensions to their cars I would never know, on that matter the $35 000 South African version of the Santa Fe doesnt even have Bluetooth or RDS and then you get the cheap i10 whic has both ! Whats with that !
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
AFAIK, the European cars still have independent link suspension and the Australian Korean cars have moved to torsion bar. So, far, there hasn't been very much said about the differences between the two suspensions except that theoretically, the independent link is considered slightly more refined.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Can't pick any difference in day to day driving.
Plus I'm hoping they've solved the inner tyre wear on the rears by switching.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Both my I30's were manufactured in Korea,no floatie suspension in either of mine,two of the best handling cars I've driven with out modifying the suspension,if you really want to drive something with a floating suspension,buy a ford any ford,now to me they are wallowing whales,but no the two I30's I have are great
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hey i30RSA

If the i30's in RSA have the torsion beam rear suspension, then i think they're also produced in Korea.. :question:  Should be visible on the VIN sticker.

Here in Europe we get the cars from the Czech Republic with independent rear suspension.

If you think your car is too floaty, then you could get a set of lowering springs fitted, that would certainly help a lot.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
My Korean built FD has independent rear sussies and definitely isn't floaty!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The GD i30's from Korea and the Czech Republic have both got independent rear suspension. The Europe built cars have a sophisticated multi link suspension, the Korean build have a torsion beam. Both versions have been highly praised in the motoring press for their ability to soak up road bumps without shock or disturbing the car's road manners.

I cannot recall anyone else on the forum having major problems with "floaty suspension" which leads me to believe that i30RSA's car cannot possibly be a genuine Hyundai - but a cheap and nasty Third World Country copy. These criminal buggers no longer confine their activities to copy watches and perfume - they copy just about anything nowadays. :evil:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Ha ha ha ha im cracking myself up, yeah probably like those BMW and Mercedes ripoffs you get in China, especialy in Shanghai :rofl: I did pay a crap load of hard earned money for my car from a big and well-respected Hyundai dealer in Johannesburg, so im sure its a genuine Hyundai  :cool:

Well enough bitching and moaning for a day. Will keep you guys up to date on my Korean nuclear missile (the car) waiting to explode in my garage !
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Any of you guys having trouble keeping your i30 on the road if you hit a bump. I recently hit a bump in the road with my car and it was like the backside was on a waterbed, floating all over the road. Seems like the floaty back suspension is a problem in the i30 and in Hyundais overall.

Interesting way you describe the after effects.
So I can get a better understanding of this:

What was your speed at the time?

Did just 1 wheel hit the bump or a combination of wheel and was it both axels, i.e.front or back, or just 1 side, left/right?

Bump: -
Was this a hole in the road surface?
 or
a "speed bump" like a purpose raised part of the road to keep speeds low, i.e speed calming?
or
the road surface not flat and parts have raised due to wear/tear/weather?
or
something else?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline fox2015468

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      nottinghamshire
Hi I've just joined today, glad I have found this post as I've only had my I30 for 4 weeks and my suspension feels wobbly and when going around corners if the roads got any defect on it the rear seems to hop giving the feeling of the rear sliding. I have lost confidence going around bends and I have to slow right down.  Also the tyre noise and vibration in the cabin and on the steering wheel is driving me nuts, going to take back to dealers ASAP to check it out.
  • 2012 i30 active blue drive crdi silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi I've just joined today, glad I have found this post as I've only had my I30 for 4 weeks and my suspension feels wobbly and when going around corners if the roads got any defect on it the rear seems to hop giving the feeling of the rear sliding. I have lost confidence going around bends and I have to slow right down.  Also the tyre noise and vibration in the cabin and on the steering wheel is driving me nuts, going to take back to dealers ASAP to check it out.

Hi Fox, I believe you are in the UK... I am surprised to hear you say that. Although quite a few complain about the road noise particularly in the series 1 i30 most are more than happy with the handling.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline fox2015468

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      nottinghamshire
Yes in UK, I'm new to Hyundai, never had a car that handles like this that's why it stands out so much, I do a lot of town driving for my job so all the streets have there own defects, feel like I'm rocking from side to side every time I hit a defect on the road.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Welcome to the forum fox2015468,

Something doesn't sound right to me. Did you notice this behaviour when you tested the car before purchasing. In Oz, I find the handling, one of the car's many good points. Our suspensions are tweaked here though and can be a bit tight, in fact.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

hi and welcome

it may help if you can let us know:
how old the car
is it the current model
petrol or diesel
mileage

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Check that all the wheels nuts are tight.  I once collected a Toyota from a scheduled service which felt distinctly odd and there was a loud chattering from the wheels. I turned around and went back to the dealers. They found that all the wheel nuts were loose - they had swapped the tyres around and the mechanic had spun the nuts on finger tight and forgot to tighten them with a wrench. The wheel studs were necked because the wheels had moved off the flange. All the studs had to be replaced.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline fox2015468

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      nottinghamshire
hi and welcome

it may help if you can let us know:
how old the car
is it the current model
petrol or diesel
mileage

hi the car is 1 year old and its the new model, its the 1.6 blue drive crdi manual, mileage is 17500. purchased from hyundai dealer, previous owner was erac uk ltd, was told it was an ex company car just found out erac uk ltd is enterprise car rental, bit miffed now because car could have been abused and could be a clue to the suspension situation, also feels like the clutch isnt 100 % either, dreading contacting dealer i know they going to fob me off  :undecided:

Offline fox2015468

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      nottinghamshire
Check that all the wheels nuts are tight.  I once collected a Toyota from a scheduled service which felt distinctly odd and there was a loud chattering from the wheels. I turned around and went back to the dealers. They found that all the wheel nuts were loose - they had swapped the tyres around and the mechanic had spun the nuts on finger tight and forgot to tighten them with a wrench. The wheel studs were necked because the wheels had moved off the flange. All the studs had to be replaced.
hi , checked nuts all ok thanks for suggestion :)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It's still under warranty, so any detectable faults have to be repaired.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

contact the dealer and ask them to obtain car history

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Where in the UK are you Fox? I'll lay odds there is a member close by who could help put your mind at rest, I'm in Telford, Shropshire if you are nearby.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Hey i30RSA

If the i30's in RSA have the torsion beam rear suspension, then i think they're also produced in Korea.. :question:  Should be visible on the VIN sticker.

Here in Europe we get the cars from the Czech Republic with independent rear suspension.

If you think your car is too floaty, then you could get a set of lowering springs fitted, that would certainly help a lot.

Yes the European i30s had multilink rear suspension since they started production. Some say it was a near direct copy of the VW Golf. I've never had any problems at all.

Please post a pic of the VIN sticker if possible, that might be interesting. I'm told that some Hyundais are assembled from kits in Egypt, maybe they found an old Hyundai Colt rear suspension lying around and bolted it to your car.  :D

Offline fox2015468

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      nottinghamshire
Where in the UK are you Fox? I'll lay odds there is a member close by who could help put your mind at rest, I'm in Telford, Shropshire if you are nearby.
Thanks Keith  but I'm in nottinghamshire, Will see if anyone is local.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal