i30 Owners Club

Euro sway bar on Aussie car?

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
I corner hard. Its how I get fun at legal street speeds.

Can the 17mm Rear Anti Sway Bar replace the Australian 14mm one? Direct bolt on?

Its a stock Hyundai part, hopefully it'll be cheaper than a custom made part.

But the question is (if it CAN direct bolt on) how do I order the UK sway bar to Australia?

Pip
Dunno if it is a direct replacement but would assume so. If you search here you should find a couple of threads for local source of custom bar at about $250.

From what I remember from those that changed it, 20mm did not cause any nasty surprises. 17mm might not provide sufficient "fun".  :wink:

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
Agreed, howeve rit WILL provide 100% hyundai parts and NO warranty disputes.

Though I agree, if I cant get one I'll be grabbing a custom one.

Pip
It would be interesting to get an official answer WRT warranty for such a simple modification but... AFAIK the general rule would be that if the modified part was the cause of a failure/warranty claim then that claim would be disallowed. The warranty on all other components remaining unaffected.

You would need to have a mounting point or such to break to see a failure, and in which case you wouldn't be chasing Hy anyway. :rolleyes:

As I said, it would be nice to have an official answer but it sounds like a benign enough modification to me.

Offline wisconsin-autocrosser

• 2nd Gear
  • Cone-head

• us United States
      Milwaukee
FWIW, the US-Spec Elantra-Touring (I30CW) has a 21mm RSB. I'm sure there are lots of online US based Hyundai parts suppliers...like this one. 

http://www.hyundaiaccessorystore.com/hyundai_elantra_rear_sway_bar.html

• 2nd Gear
  • Cone-head

• us United States
      Milwaukee
The US/Canada-Spec 'Elantra-Touring' is the I30CW elsewhere--it should bolt right on.

Pip
21mm bar USD$217 delivered.

Interestingly that's cheaper than buying local!

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
it is indeed....

so (sorry for the noob), are most CW parts a direct swap onto the standard i30?

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black
Having had a 20mm rear bar made for my i30, I think 21mm would be great. There is still some understeer when really pushing into corners which one more mm in the bar could reduce a bit without getting into oversteer territory. Would have investigated that bar if I had known about it at the time. Still the best change I have made to the car ... larger rear bar should be standard!

Andrew
  • 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
OK I'll admit my ONE big fault when it comes to cars: Ive NEVER dealt with a dealer before when it comes to parts.

I always do my own work, and get aftermarket stuff. So:

In Australia we have US spec cars, just right hand drive (yes?)
Is that bar available on any Australian Cars, so I can order a "i30CW rear sway bar" and 'be done with it'?
Does it direct bolt on? (how does one research that?)

Delicious sway bar; come to me. Stiffer springs (possibly lower... we'll see) and better bushings. It'll be cheap, it'll be effective, it'll be AWESOME!

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
kind of a  n00b question, what does a different length sway bar do for the handling ? I have a UK spec I30, and find that cornering hard a bit like Master Scythe, the fun of it is great. But the car understears a lot. possibly a combo of the tyres and other factors
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Pip
kind of a  n00b question, what does a different length sway bar do for the handling ? I have a UK spec I30, and find that cornering hard a bit like Master Scythe, the fun of it is great. But the car understears a lot. possibly a combo of the tyres and other factors
It's not the length but the thickness. The thicker it is the more it resists body-roll. The force captured from the roll is converted to balancing the steering.

A roll-bar is a (torsion-bar) spring that partially (re)connects both wheels in an independant suspension.

It's hard to write this in a few sentences and I'm sure I've done it before. :D Assuming a rear bar, (the opposite happens for the front) while arresting the roll the downward pressure on the outside wheel is transferred (via the spring) to the inside wheel as upward (negative) pressure which unloads (lifts) it. The reduced grip increases the slip angle and the "loosened" rear-end promotes over-steer and vice-versa.

Done right and depending on where the weight is WRT the centre of the car it should be possible to achieve a neutral or other balance. Of course, all the other suspension components have a bearing and while roll-bars are magic for tuning the balance, it's still a complex process and not nearly as simple as just choosing a thicker roll-bar for one end or the other!

Understanding that a rear bar reduces understeer and a front bar increases it, is a starting point.

Of course, this is simplistic, for instance if roll-bars are just used for balance why do cars have both a front and a rear bar?

• 2nd Gear
  • Cone-head

• us United States
      Milwaukee
kind of a  n00b question, what does a different length sway bar do for the handling ? I have a UK spec I30, and find that cornering hard a bit like Master Scythe, the fun of it is great. But the car understears a lot. possibly a combo of the tyres and other factors
It's not the length but the thickness. The thicker it is the more it resists body-roll. The force captured from the roll is converted to balancing the steering.

With all due respect, that is not entirely true.  All things being equal, a bar of the same "thickness" but made a little shorter in legnth will become somewhat stiffer, whereas making the bar a bit longer will make it less stiff.  Case in point:  Look at any 'adjustable' sway bar.  Most have 2 or 3 holes to where the endlink attaches.

This is a custom swaybar that I had made for a 2002 Focus. It is 24mm material and in the middle setting, which is the setting that corresponds with the factory endlink angle, it acts like a 'regular' 24mm bar.  Move up to the front hole and it works muck like a 25mm bar, and the rear hole like a 23mm bar.  Made for a nice situation in order to tune for street/track/autocross etc.

I have also had similar bars made for MK.V Volkswagens, and BG mazda Proteges.  FWIW, I could have bars like this (in a number of possible thicknesses) made for the I30...but I fear they would be rather expensive to ship outside the US.  I would normally sell a RSB like this with all hardware/bushings for about $200USD plus shipping.

Pip
With all due respect, that is not entirely true.  All things being equal, a bar of the same "thickness" but made a little shorter in legnth will become somewhat stiffer...
Yes, of course. :wink:

Nice looking bar BTW. :cool:

Pip
I had a look today under both a CW and a hatch. Looked to me that the sway bar was identical (as was the suspension - not allowing for spring differences) and unfortunately the OZ bar for both appears to be 14mm by my eyeball reckoning.

However if the US CW bar is 21mm (and really is identical WRT fitting) then this will be a bargain and a useful upgrade, IMO.

I could be wrong about the fitting match though. :rolleyes:

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
So once again, I'm forced to ask, how we find this out for certain?

Will one of us have to buy a US sway bar from a CW to find out? SURELY someone can be asked.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Looks like you may have to be the Guinea pig, Master Scythe....... :wink:

Personally, it's seems a lot of stuffing around just to make your i30 handle that little bit better....or not..... :-\

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
Speaking to a friend who works at Repco, its cheaper for $200 to get one custom made, due to shipping from overseas (as you'd have to).

Damn....

Pip
I couldn't get one locally made and shipped for less than $250. I forget from where now... it was just a quote. The one from the US was $220 or so depending on exchange rate. And genuine. But does it fit?

Pip
Ok, thanks to Elle B - wisconsin-autocrosser (who's been absent for a while) I've ordered this:

It's a Hy OEM 21mm rear sway bar from the US Elantra Touring (CW). I expect it to be a direct bolt-on replacement for the original 14mm bar fitted to Oz i30s and also the 17mm bar fitted to UK cars.

Calculations say it will be 5 times stiffer (400% increase) than original 14mm and I'm hoping it confers more neutral handling when pressed. We'll see.  :undecided: :D

FYI the UK bar at 17mmm will be about 2.2 times stiffer. Here's the formula: (larger/smaller)^4

Cost turned out to be $172 delivered after the exchange rate paypal gave (about 4% worse than official). None-the-less it's a price much less than a year ago and better than local custom sourced bar. The biggest cost was shipping; I took the cheapest option so don't know when I'll see it!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:12:28 by Pip »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'll be interested to see how it changes things, pip.... :)

Especially whether it makes the ride harsher..... :undecided:

Pip
I just hope I notice any difference, good or bad. :)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I just hope I notice any difference, good or bad. :)
are the D rubbers and the metal wraps going to fit one another,hopefully your wraps will fit the D rubber and the diameter of the hole in the D rubber is the only difference.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Pip
Comes complete with these I understand. I assume it would need to because as you imply, the old ones will be too small.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Comes complete with these I understand. I assume it would need to because as you imply, the old ones will be too small.
:goodjob2: :goodjob:

Pip
Ok, thanks to Elle B - wisconsin-autocrosser (who's been absent for a while) I've ordered this:

It's a Hy OEM 21mm rear sway bar from the US Elantra Touring (CW). I expect it to be a direct bolt-on replacement for the original 14mm bar fitted to Oz i30s and also the 17mm bar fitted to UK cars.

Calculations say it will be 5 times stiffer (400% increase) than original 14mm and I'm hoping it confers more neutral handling when pressed. We'll see.  :undecided: :D

FYI the UK bar at 17mmm will be about 2.2 times stiffer. Here's the formula: (larger/smaller)^4

Cost turned out to be $172 delivered after the exchange rate paypal gave (about 4% worse than official). None-the-less it's a price much less than a year ago and better than local custom sourced bar. The biggest cost was shipping; I took the cheapest option so don't know when I'll see it!
Hmm, second time I've posted this...
I have cancelled the order due to an imposed shipping cost increase. USPS would not ship it and so total cost went up to $332.  :(
Looking locally now.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's a shame Pip  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Hmm, second time I've posted this...
I have cancelled the order due to an imposed shipping cost increase. USPS would not ship it and so total cost went up to $332.  :(
Looking locally now.
try this link pip.  :idea:   http://www.ultraracing.com.my/Catalog.asp?Brand=Hyundai&Model=I%2030&page=1

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
and here is a list of dealers in oz.  :winker:   http://www.ultraracingaustralia.com.au/index.php?categoryid=22

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal