i30 Owners Club

Removal of 3rd rear tail light (top) assembly

Cookt · 10 · 4201

Offline Cookt

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Just purchased the 2015 GD 3 I30 and want to remove the spoiler to get power for a rear in car camera.

I can get the trim off and the 7 nuts that secure the spoiler, but it still won't come off.

It appears to be  different to the earlier models.

Am I missing some hidden screws and what is the secret to getting it off?

Terry
  • I30 2015 CRDI Activ

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I fitted a genuine factory spoiler to a MY11 CW and it was supplied with thin heavy duty 3M tape, so my guess is yours has tape as well. If so there will be a very narrow gap between the body and the spoiler.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Umm why are you pulling the spoiler off?
There will be no power for the camera behind the spoiler.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Umm why are you pulling the spoiler off?
There will be no power for the camera behind the spoiler.

There would be if you drove around with your foot on the brake  :whistler: :lol:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Though the author will, no doubt, know what they is trying to and how they is trying to do it... their statement is merely an overview.

Where as I get made fun of for supplying copious amounts of detail *sigh*  :lol:

Though 'get power' does imply sourcing the power, it might also mean 'get power' by running extra cabling (e.g. cable for camera) - hard to know without further details.

Just taking a guess here (not having a GD3 to inspect)...

They mentioned 'in car camera' (I am assuming either for pointing out the rear - i.e. rear crash cam; or cabin camera - passenger surveillance and/or crash cam footage).   In either instance the easiest place to mount it would probably be at the top of the rear windscreen glass and you could hide the cables under trim, run through existing seals, etc..   So I am assuming they is either

a) hoping to connect to a 12V source in the boot door - (I think the motor, or control, for the parking camera deployment mechanism has 12V with IGN on) - such as if the camera is a complete 'dash cam' or is otherwise wireless (power would still be needed - but would assume to be sourced from 12V) 2nd camera; or

b) wishing, for a wired 2nd camera to a dash cam (such cameras usually run on much less than 12v), to run the cable (inc. power) to the camera via. the existing grommets/seals, flexible conduits, etc. - e.g. not compromise factory seals, there appears to be only one to supply everything in the boot door (plus washer hose).

Looking at a photo of a GD3 hatch boot door open where I can only see part of where the cables go into it - something that cruiserfied might be able to answer is how does one access at the top of boot the cables going into it?  Internal trim piece removal? Or via spoiler removal?   I would have thought internal trim - as via. spoiler would require a big enough hole for access and an external seal (potential failure point) to seal it.

Like cruiserfied I would wonder about spoiler removal to 'get power' (unless it is the way to access all incoming cabling) for a camera - unless the camera was going to be mounted on the outside of the car (but that contravenes 'in car camera' statement).   Many remote/2nd camera's for a dash cam rely on the dash unit to supply it with operating power at the right voltage (typ. 3.3v to 5v) for the camera (for a number of reasons - reduced component count, wiring, etc.. being a couple) - so the above mentioned 12V source would unlikely be useful in such a case; and the actual park/rear camera electronics (camera and deployment mechanism appear to be electrically separate) run on 6.6V (from memory) and is supplied only when it is activated (e.g. reverse)... so wouldn't be useful for constant supply.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
The reason i asked is because the only thing you can access by removing the spoiler is brake light and washer hose.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
The reason i asked is because the only thing you can access by removing the spoiler is brake light and washer hose.

Thought as much  :D   It makes the most design sense.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Cookt

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Thanks for the replies. The camera is 12 volt. I previously had it in my SAAB. As I couldn't find a wiring diagram, I was going to look for 12 volts hoping to find a supply. I will now look at another way of doing it - I am electrically/electronically qualified and know what I am doing. I just was just looking for the easiest way (it doesn't now look easy!).
  • I30 2015 CRDI Activ

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Is there not a 12V socket in the cargo area?

Offline Cookt

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Correct - you've fixed the problem. Many thanks.
  • I30 2015 CRDI Activ

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal