i30 Owners Club

Roo/Nudge Bar & Spotlights Kit Wanted

Mgmact · 15 · 4967

Offline Mgmact

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi,

Can anyone suggest where I can purchase a Roo/Nudge Bar & Spotlghts kit from for my new i30 SR Premium?

I bought the car new on December 18th 2015 and have already collected one kangaroo, partly in thanks to my early morning starts here in the ACT. The car spent three weeks in the repair shop as a result.

I saw an i30 on the road yesterday and it had what appeared to be a kit on the front grille. Ideally I'd like to add an electronic Shoo Roo to it as well.

Cheers
  • 2015 i30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome.

Long term member Just Rick has used/mounted both those items on his Series 1 (FD) i30. He had 2 almost identical i30's but one ended up getting written off by a roo! He lives in Beverley WA.

There is a bit about this on the site somewhere. Hopefully he will see this thread. I imagine what he used would fit the later models. I think he got them off ebay.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Nudge/Roo bars are a waste of time as far as protection from Skippys are concerned.
They offer a place to mount driving lights, that's about it...

What you really need is a bull bar but I'm not sure it would actually be legal...plus obviously there would be issues with the operation of airbags etc...  :undecided:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Nudge/Roo bars are a waste of time as far as protection from Skippys are concerned.
They offer a place to mount driving lights, that's about it...

What you really need is a bull bar but I'm not sure it would actually be legal...plus obviously there would be issues with the operation of airbags etc...  :undecided:

:whsaid:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:32:28 by FatBoy »

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hehe I suspect a bull-bar, apart from probably not being legal and airbag operation, just wouldn't look right in any case.

But I think the author's intention is to have one for a small amount of protection but more for auxiliary light mounting, etc..

Long term member Just Rick has...

... Hopefully he will see this thread. I...

umm... @Just Rick have you seen this thread?  (Yes I am being a smart s*&t Dazz :lol: ).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It's OK Gareth, I forgot to use that function...  :goodjob:

A nudge bar mounted LED light bar should "help" avoid Roos  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
It's OK Gareth, I forgot to use that function...  :goodjob:

Hehe thought so - and, of course, I had to make a point of it  :D

A nudge bar mounted LED light bar should "help" avoid Roos  :cool:

Uh huh - they are pretty bright... just like me!

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
@Mgmact

Have to agree with all that has been said so far  :goodjob2: Nudge bars for the I30 or any car I suspect are a total waste of time(other than being aesthetically pleasing to look at and as mentioned,somewhere to mount your spotties or light bar)

I have experimented with many spot lights and light bars each having their own pro's and con's, I found the best is a combination of both HID spotties and a 16"twin row,combination spot/flood CREE light bar,I have put many posts up on this subject which may be helpful

Electronic SHUROO, I absolutely swear by them, hint but don't actually buy one from Shuroo itself,you can buy them cheaper elsewhere,I found this out the hard way,but wherever you get one it can cost you between $450 to $560 and fit it yourself, it is not hard,this goes for your spotties as well,at least you'll know the job is done correctly and minimal damage to your new car (F#*@ing Auto Elec's)any other info you need just ask,mind you due to health reasons,I'm not as active as I used to be,but this little(or not so little family) is an excellent place for information,help,hints and just plain fun and frivolity, but sometimes answers can take a little while  :lol: Forgot to mention to date no one in Australia makes a Bullbar yet for the I30, which is a shame who ever can do it would make a fortune.Don't know how many times I've been asked if I knew someone who sold bullbars for the I30's
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Forgot to mention to date no one in Australia makes a Bullbar yet for the I30, which is a shame who ever can do it would make a fortune.Don't know how many times I've been asked if I knew someone who sold bullbars for the I30's

I saw an FD i30 with a bull bar down in Cygnet, Tasmania last year...   :)

Got my partner, Sue to take a quick happy snap but of course the photo is still on her phone so I can't post it up.

It's possible it was a local so I'm wondering if Fatboy has seen it getting about?  :undecided:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Forgot to mention to date no one in Australia makes a Bullbar yet for the I30, which is a shame who ever can do it would make a fortune.Don't know how many times I've been asked if I knew someone who sold bullbars for the I30's

Got my partner, Sue to take a quick happy snap but of course the photo is still on her phone so I can't post it up.

It's possible it was a local so I'm wondering if Fatboy has seen it getting about?  :undecided:

Yes seen one over here too,but unlike the nudge bars they're not legal,I could adopt one for Bruce,the reason you can't get a commercially made one specifically for the I30 is the way HY have mounted their airbag deployment sensors,manufacturers can't without a good deal of modification of the car make the bull bars/Roo bars air bag compliant
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Mgmact

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks so much to all of you who've replied and assisted so far!!!

I love my new top-of-the-wazza i30, and it was uber frustrating after only owning it for five weeks waiting for the repairer to fix it. Topic for another post, but I could make a mini-doco on the ineptness of the process between the insurance company & the repairer getting it over the finish line. In fact, the SR badge for the front right-side panel is allegedly on back-order, & until it's replaced, it's absence is glaring to me lol.

I agree that the nudge bar & spot-lights appear to be mostly aesthetic, when I noticed that one a coup,e of weeks ago. Admittedly it kinda looked cool though, almost mini-minor rally like in appearance.

The electronic shoo-roo me-thinks is clearly the most practical option, however as an aside I've opted for the zero dollars insurance-excess on my policy, specifically for the wildlife-strike issue here in the A.C.T. & the weird hours I often have to drive to & from work. I've taken the rental-car option, which via Eurocar was supposed to be a Hyundai i20 (or similar). Eurocar didn't have a i20 (or similar) available at the time, so they "upgraded" me to a Toyota Corolla. My i30 is the six-speed manual (2 litre), which I love, & the oh-what-a-feeling (not!!) was a automatic. Despite the so-called "upgrade" I felt a senior-citizen-tourist on my way to Bingo driving it (in government non-metallic white paint) & the only excitement to the driving experience was occasionally pressing the "Sport" button, which resulted in the lawn-mower sounding engine squealing a tad louder. Embarrassing & awkward. I was contemplating wearing a Groucher Marx nose & glasses kit when behind the wheel, so as not to be recognised by people who either know or hate me. It was a long three weeks!!

So with the zero dollar insurance-excess I can hit whatever I like adnauseum, however everytime this might occur is further structural and penal damage incurred, and more time behind the wheel of a car I know will pale into insignificance to my new motoring love. This must be an issue for most sedan and hatch owners regardless of make and model, and I'm now understanding the rationale behind why there's so many SUVs & the-like on the roads. As a professional driver for work, it is my opinion from observation & anecdotal stories from colleagues that the kangaroo numbers have increased & kangaroo and other wildlife strikes are only going to increase. As such, the ability to legally & safely install protective barriers such as bullbars etc has to be addressed and eventually instigated.

Cheers and many thanks!!!
  • 2015 i30 SR Premium

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
So with the zero dollar insurance-excess I can hit whatever I like adnauseum, however everytime this might occur is further structural and penal damage incurred, and more time behind the wheel of a car I

I suspect penal damage would be if you hit a pedestrian - the courts frown on things like that  :lol:   Having said that it seems it felt like a sentence while you waited for your SR to be repaired.

You should wear a Groucho Marx kit one day - just to see what reactions you get... esp. if you can get them on video :-D

Course a nudge bar may also be a good spot for a CB antenna if you want/have a CB to fit.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

I've seen it on a blue i30 driving around here.  I haven't been able to ask them where they got it from.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've seen it on a blue i30 driving around here.  I haven't been able to ask them where they got it from.

That's the one, I managed to find the photo but it wasn't very good.
The bull bar was a bit low, I thought...offering no protection for the headlights...  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal