i30 Owners Club

Scratching/Rubbing Sound from Steering Column when turning the steering wheel

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
So for the last month or so in my 2018 i30 i have had this sound like something was brushing against the plastic or something inside the steering column are when i turn the steering wheel and mentioned it when I put my car in for its 15000km service. So the car got  serviced and on the end report it said "Inspected and confirmed customer concern. Noise is coming from Dry and Noisy internal bearings in the steering column. New column is required.

Apparently the new steering column is about $1800 for the parts alone so they have to get approval from Hyundai first to replace so just have to wait for a call back now. They said they have done a couple. So i just thought i'd write a quick post to let others know if they have a sound coming out from that area when they turn their steering wheel what it possibly could be.
  • 2018 I30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that. Interesting. I seem to recall one other similar issue on the PD being reported.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
This is a common problem, mainly with the i30N's.

There have been quite a few reports & steering columns changed under warranty
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline ricleo

• 2nd Gear

• sg Singapore

• 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4T, Auto, Black
somehow the steering column problem is a repeated issue for both Kia and Hyundai since a few generations back and they never improved, have seen a few i30 PDs in my country with steering column replacements as well.
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4T, Auto, Black

Offline Nesher

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel
I'd tell them that the car is still under warranty and it doesn't make sense that thing fails at 15K KM, insist on having it replaced/fix at their expense!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal