i30 Owners Club

Aust - FD i30 - Missing Outside Temp. Here is how to fix it!

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
This week I decided to change the headunit in my 09 i30cw from the factory PA-710 to the strange FD-01 headunit available only what seems to be in Australia only.

I bought mine from a wrecker and was lucky to get one in good condition. I'll explain the key differences between the two units and the positives and negatives between the two.

Standard PA-710 Headunit

PROS:

- Very tidy screen information layout (Black bar at the top clearly displaying Outside Temp, Function and Clock in AM/PM or 24hr time)
- The screen is few tiny millimeters larger (no one would usually notice this)
- Preset station buttons show programmed station of each button
- Writing on buttons is large and easy to read
- Quickly changes between songs and song title without delay
- Doesn't require a security code to be put in when the battery in your car goes flat
- Consistent font with capital letters only when needed (Being very picky)

CONS:

- To use iPod / iPhone you need the special Hyundai cable (with USB and 3.5mm connection)
- No charging of iPod / iPhone
- By selecting Random play on the headunit doesn't mean it will change your iPod / iPhone to random, yet it will pick its own songs and find you listening to the same songs over and over again)
- Sounds quality is very boomy and adjusting Bass and Treble settings doesn't do a lot.
- No Bluetooth Connectivity

Strange Aussie FD-01 Headunit

PROS:

- Bluetooth connects quickly everytime
- Changing between different phones is easy (via Bluetooth)
- iPod / iPhone will charge while connected
- Does not require you to purchase a special connection cord. The standard iPod / iPhone cord that came with your phone does the job. (If you try to use the cord that goes with the PA-710, it wont work and you will get a connection error)
- When selecting Random play, the headunit ACTUALLY uses the Random function built into your iPod / iPhone so you wont be listening to the same songs over and over.
- Sound quality seems to have improved with the sound settings making quite a difference. (Still of course not on par with brand name aftermarket units)
- Hands free seems to work quite well and I havent had any complaints from people not being able to hear me at the other end.

CONS:

- Some clown thought a headunit specifically designed for an i30 needed a security code in case another i30 owner stole it from you.
- Display is a few tiny millimeters smaller (as mentioned before any normal person wouldn't notice this)
- Because you have gained Bluetooth connectivity you can no longer have a Clock and Outside Temp showing at the same time. (You can simply change between the two by pressing DISP)
- Display does not have the clean fresh look of the PA-710, although layout is still similar font sizes are not as well proportioned
- Preset Radio station buttons no longer have the station above them (most likely because the screen is that smigg smaller in width)
- Writing on buttons is smaller when compared to the PA-710, but still clear and easy to read (Again being a bit picky)
- Changing of song titles when using an iPod / iPhone is a bit slow (you could have changed 3 songs and its still catching up)
- Use of capital letters when it isnt necessary (Again being very picky) 

SO with that all out of the way I have decided to keep the strange FD-01 headunit and deal with the fact that the screen is a tiny bit smaller and not as nicely layed out, in return getting satisfactory sound quality and Bluetooth connectivity.

LOST OUTSIDE TEMP DISPLAY?

AND for people who already have the strange FD-01 headunit that seems to have popped out of nowhere in Australia you may be missing a feature... OUTSIDE TEMP.

Here is now to easily get it turned on without a trip to the dealer and a stupid explanation that your car isn't equipped with this feature.

What you need:

- An AUX cable

Method:

- Insert AUX cable into the AUX port (you can remove your USB cable for the time being)
- If the headunit hasn't already changed to AUX, select AUX
- Press and hold 1 and 4 at the same time
- "Temperature Use" will now be displayed
- You have now successfully activated the Outside Temperature display

You can now change between CLOCK / OUTSIDE TEMP / SCREEN OFF by pressing the DISP button

If you would like to check the firmware version of the FD-01...

- Insert AUX cable into the AUX port (you can remove your USB cable for the time being)
- If the headunit hasn't already changed to AUX, select AUX
- Press and hold 1 and 6 at the same time
- You will see the following screen displayed

Also to 'Test' your screen for dead pixels use the following combination:

- Press and hold 1 and 5 at the same time (screen will flicker for a few seconds) - This is pretty much pointless.

Anyway I hope I've delivered an informative post...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:27:27 by elantraelite »
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day mate

My Wife's 2011 FD I30 has the display change between time and temp as a feature.

They do like to keep improving things.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Anyway I hope I've delivered an informative post...

Nope, you delivered an excellent post  :Agoodpost: :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Out of curiosity,

How much did the blue tooth unit cost and how long did it take to swap it over?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Dean  :goodjob: Well done  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :D :goodjob: Nice post!
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Many thanks for this post,but I have a question if you know the answer,I have the FD-01 unit,when I took delivery of the car it had the temp selection,but when I chose it all I got was 40C, after many trips to the dealers,they said they couldn't fix it and simply turned it off,saying some of these units didn't have the facility to take the outside temp,then another told me it may have been the receiver unit under the bonnet,the next dealer told me the first dealer we bought the car from did not do the pre delivery correctly I should take it back there again and they were the ones who kept giving the run around,giving me excuse after excuse,but it is a nice feature to have,if anyone knows where the outside ambient temp sensor is I would appreciate it so I can check it out and see if I can get the temp working.
Again thanks for this post I can take my computer out to the car and have a play on the weekend
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Out of curiosity,

How much did the blue tooth unit cost and how long did it take to swap it over?

I bought mine for $200 from Hyon Auto Parts in Broadmeadows

There was one on Ebay last night that was going for $180, but got snapped up in a few hours.

The install look no longer than 15 minutes to do and it was my first time.

ACTUALLY, Hyundai made removing the fascia SO easy that it was more simple than changing parts out of an Excel!

All you need to do is...

- Open the upper storage compartment
- Remove the rubber mat inside
- Unscrew the four screws (2 located towards the windscreen and the other 2 are right behind the latch and are flat looking screws)
- Gently lift the compartment up
- Now close the compartment lid and pull the storage unit towards you.
- Once that is removed unscrew the centre screw underneath (the fascia is only held with one screw and a heap of plastic clips)
- Once the screw is removed gently give it some pull and the fascia will come free.
- Remove the 3 connectors for the HVAC and Hazard controls and put aside.
- You'll see the headunit screwed in with 4 screws, remove them and disconnect the 3 connectors on the back of the headunit.
- Simply pull out
- Replace with the FD-01 unit which should come with its mounting brackets if you bought it from a wrecker. (remember to ask them for the security code /or take photo of the serial number and get the Hyundai dealer to decode it for you.) (Warning DO NOT buy a headunit from a wrecker if the serial number sticker is unreadable. This will reader the Headunit useless.)

- Follow instructions in reverse

(Im sorry I havent attached photos detailing this.)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Many thanks for this post,but I have a question if you know the answer,I have the FD-01 unit,when I took delivery of the car it had the temp selection,but when I chose it all I got was 40C, after many trips to the dealers,they said they couldn't fix it and simply turned it off,saying some of these units didn't have the facility to take the outside temp,then another told me it may have been the receiver unit under the bonnet,the next dealer told me the first dealer we bought the car from did not do the pre delivery correctly I should take it back there again and they were the ones who kept giving the run around,giving me excuse after excuse,but it is a nice feature to have,if anyone knows where the outside ambient temp sensor is I would appreciate it so I can check it out and see if I can get the temp working.
Again thanks for this post I can take my computer out to the car and have a play on the weekend

I've heard the sensor is located in front of the radiator, however I haven't actually looked myself so don't take my work as the bible.  :winker:

I'd imagine that the dealer has not replaced anything for you and just stuffed you around. It will be one of two things. The sensor located at the front of the engine bay or the headunit it self. The dealer should have at least replaced the sensor, being the cheapest place to start. If that doesn't fix it, replace the headunit. If the car is under warranty these are all things they should be taking care of.

Hope you have some luck with them.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks for your replies, I hope it might help some people out  :P

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
if anyone knows where the outside ambient temp sensor is I would appreciate it so I can check it out and see if I can get the temp working.

I asked this many moons ago.

I think it is in front of the radiator, near the bottom
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Tried the button 1 & 4 trick and my MY11 2010 FD SL is displaying temperature -40C.

Can't see how to change this, maybe it doesn't have a sensor?

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I had a slight hiccup with my Temperature yesterday morning and it came up with a smugged mark on the screen next to the Temperature and then it started counting down the Temperature, then it started again at 59 degrees and started counting down again until it reached the right temperature.

I think its safe to say Hyundai most likely disable this function because it has so many bugs in it.

I doubt your car wouldnt have the temperature sensor, as australia seems to be the only country that got the FD-01 headunit. - thats only my assumption.

I highly doubt the sensor is to blame in my case as I never had any issue when using the PA710 headunit .
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 23:46:23 by elantraelite »

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Tried the button 1 & 4 trick and my MY11 2010 FD SL is displaying temperature -40C.

This is exactly what mine has done from new,I have had four dealers look at it and they have all came up with some cock and bull story,but the most common is that some of the head units had a problem that could not be resolved,so they would just turn that function off,If I was game I would change out the two units between the two cars we have to see if the one with the working temp gauge,works in the car which has the non working unit,but I'm not that game just in case I screw something up in the unit which has the temp working
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria

This is exactly what mine has done from new,I have had four dealers look at it and they have all came up with some cock and bull story,but the most common is that some of the head units had a problem that could not be resolved,so they would just turn that function off,If I was game I would change out the two units between the two cars we have to see if the one with the working temp gauge,works in the car which has the non working unit,but I'm not that game just in case I screw something up in the unit which has the temp working

It really isn't hard at all to do. It is one of the easiest headunit removals i've come across. I've removed fascias from our Excel, Getz and Elantra and by far this is insanely simple to remove, everything unclips easily and there isnt any way you could damage anything other than using excessive force.

If you're not keen on giving it a go then Id demand Hyundai changed it if you are still in warranty. (But I think I did read somewhere that the stereo is only covered unit a 36month warranty)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I'll go through the warranty my two are still under two years old

Offline Skiffie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
and here i was thinking that the outside temperature magically appeared when my head unit got replaced under warranty...

I'll start a fresh thread for that little issue, to see if anyone else has experienced the same.
  • 2011 SX Auto, Vivid Blue - bog standard!

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
WARNING - It has come to my attention that the FD-01 looks like it wont be compatible with an i30 that currently has the PA760 headunit.

Some i30's that have the PA760 will have an AMP attached.

Unfortunately it looks like the FD-01 doesn't have the ability to power an external amp. 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal