Author Topic: HOW TO: FD Body - Remove/Replace/Swap OEM (2DIN) headunit  (Read 22544 times)

• au Australia
    NSW
Re: HOW TO: FD Body - Remove/Replace/Swap OEM (2DIN) headunit
« Reply #31 : May 13, 2020, 08:03:05 »
I looked into getting something similar, in the end, I just purchased the "Aerpro"  surround to suit the screen 7" screen. its a universal kit and just cut a hole in the existing dash.

I figured if I stuffed it , I would just get a replacement from a wreck
  • 2009  FD SR 5 Door Hatch, petrol 2.0lt, Auto, Red

• Author of War & Peace
  • Author
  • au Australia
    Brisbane
« Reply #32 : June 03, 2020, 10:47:06 »
Cheers for the reply, I've got a kmart dongle thats doing the job, charge port is on the back though so hard to mount anywhere semi permanent.  Might trawl ebay for one with a side charge port and double side tape it somewhere more suitable.

I can confirm as per The Gonz advice - I did it myself in my old FD i30.  Basically a plug and play swap (assuming your factory head-unit isn't an PA-760 - the FD-01 apparently can't replace the PA-760... something to do with an amp).

There was a text write up here about swapping - :link: Hi & Swap out of I30 Stereo. - I added comments (apparently) pointing to topics which included how to calculate the lock-code and adjust a setting or two.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

• Melbourne
« Reply #33 : June 12, 2020, 00:59:33 »
I have a 2009 FD in Australia, I'm thinking of swapping out the radio for one from a wrecked 2011 model that has factory bluetooth.  Seems to me it would be a simple straight swap, anyone know for sure?
Thanks.

Hey yeah i gave this a go. I swapped it out and had to pay a dealership $60 for a security code, and all of that worked out. but there was no sound coming out of it. the guy at the dealer thought it couldve been a broken radio. So I mean it might work but i would say try to test the radio works first before paying to get the code.
  • 2009 SR i30

• au Australia
    Hoppers Crossing,Melbourne
« Reply #34 : June 20, 2020, 02:00:48 »
Hi there I am trying to get my steering wheel controls to work just wondering if I am doing it right I believe that it is the two lower pins on the green plug is that correct I’m trying to wire in a kenwood dpx-5200bt, it has three wires  thank you for your help

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 02:12:51 by siri30 » »
  • 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol, 2.0lt , Manual , Red

• Author of War & Peace
  • Author
  • au Australia
    Brisbane
« Reply #35 : July 10, 2020, 23:48:35 »
I have a 2009 FD in Australia, I'm thinking of swapping out the radio for one from a wrecked 2011 model that has factory bluetooth.  Seems to me it would be a simple straight swap, anyone know for sure?
Thanks.

Hey yeah i gave this a go. I swapped it out and had to pay a dealership $60 for a security code, and all of that worked out. but there was no sound coming out of it. the guy at the dealer thought it couldve been a broken radio. So I mean it might work but i would say try to test the radio works first before paying to get the code.

I hate to tell you this... and I mention it more to warn others... sorry....

The Security Code can be calculated for free - see :link: FD-01 Headunit - Priced New

And if the S/N on the outside of an FD-01 (the one with factory bluetooth) unit is gone - it is also stuck inside the lid of the unit (as per a couple of posts further down the thread).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

• au Australia
    NSW
« Reply #36 : December 14, 2020, 15:58:00 »
UPDATE:
I just realized that I never posted pics of the install.

I have discussed with a lot of people who don't want to cut into their dash, to do a conversion like this, but I figured that as a screen trim was available, it must be ok. Also, if there was an issue, or if I wanted to take it out, I could always get a new radio / ac dash center from a wrecker at a minimal cost.

To get a screen, the "capacitive" touch screen was definitely worth the extra money, because the screen is in the sun a lot of the time and a std screen in my previous car, the display almost disappeared in direct sunlight.

The Kenwood unit ticked the boxes for wireless screen operation for phone, music, navigation etc, does support screen mirroring as well. I have found I plug it in when on a longer trip, as the phone battery gets used up pretty quick.

We also have 2 phones that link , with a "primary" phone, but easy to use.

Overall, very happy with this unit, which makes legal phone use easy, the screen mirroring I only use occasionally and don't use social media on this, but weather or other useful stuff is available.

I'm gradually getting the "upgrades " done so the car remains current with the convenient and legal options of 2020 vehicles.

• 2009  FD SR 5 Door Hatch, petrol 2.0lt, Auto, Red

• gb United Kingdom
    East cowes
« Reply #37 : April 30, 2021, 10:34:18 »
Hi where did you buy this?
  • Hyundai i30 2009 hatchback

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal