i30 Owners Club

Toyota and Lexus have put a sales stop on all Hybrids

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
A brake issue scare has prompted Toyota and Lexus to temporarily suspend sales of all petrol electric models.

This has to be good news for other manufacturers coming up to EOFY peak sales period!

Might not be good for me either! Hope it doesn't hold up the arrival of my new Camry hybrid!  :Pout:

:link: Toyota and Lexus halt sales of select hybrids over brake issue | CarAdvice
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Whats the issue? I drove one on Thursday and it was very sharp on the brakes, not a lot of feel to them.

I don't recall this being such an issue on the Hybrid Camry I hired a couple of years ago.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Whats the issue? I drove one on Thursday and it was very sharp on the brakes, not a lot of feel to them.

I don't recall this being such an issue on the Hybrid Camry I hired a couple of years ago.

Yes, not a lot of detail. Latest reviews say the feel is better in the hybrids than it used to be. I found it acceptable in my 2012 Hybrid. Infact, I don't recall having issues even with my 2010 Hybrid.

The stopping distances are longer for Hybrids apparently. Maybe they are going to try and calibrate to bring those down.  :cool:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Would have thought Toyota would be on top with hybrid tech.

My guess would be that they wear poorly, being hybrid most of the breaking is done by the electric motor, the performance might degrade when they are worn and have to be used in an emergency to bring the car to a full stop from motorway speed.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Would have thought Toyota would be on top with hybrid tech.

My guess would be that they wear poorly, being hybrid most of the breaking is done by the electric motor, the performance might degrade when they are worn and have to be used in an emergency to bring the car to a full stop from motorway speed.

It is considered one of the benefits of regenerative braking (long brake pad life) Seems really odd after all these years of doing pretty much the same thing with their Synergy Hybrid system incorporating a planetary CVT and regenerative brakes. All they have done over the last few years as far as I am aware is fine tune the economy and performance of the Atkinson Cycle motors and make some adjustments to the size and output of the electric motors.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal