i30 Owners Club

2009 1.6 Petrol, won't start properly

CipOlt41 · 13 · 13185

Offline CipOlt41

• 1st Gear

• ro Romania
      Cluj
Hi gents, new here, thanks for having me.

My car is a late 2009 i30cw 1.6 Petrol (126HP), 135.000 km on the clock, bought second hand.
Ever since I got it, it had an issue when first starting, as it would crank while the RPMs would slightly rise but not start. Usually, the second time it would fire 8/10 times.

Now, I've learned to live with it like this, for the past 2 years, but I would still like to fix the issue, removing the stress on the battery, starter motor and so on.

Things I have done so far was to change the purge valve and change the crankshaft sensor recently. I never had the check engine light on.
I took the car to my local Hyundai dealer and they also couldn't find anything.

While turning the key, I can see the little orange car with a key inside, but it does not flash, it stays solid and after the car starts, it disappears.

It seems to start better when having a full tank, but I'm not sure if this is a symptom or just a red herring.

The battery is at least 4 years old, but I gave it good charge with one of those Lidl Battery chargers, last time somewhere in April.

Any ideas you might have, please feel free to share.

Thanks and have a great day!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 12:33:06 by CipOlt41 »
  • i30, 2009, petrol 1.6

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon:

I'm no mechanic, but how long since it has had a service? I wonder if it could be something as simple as the plugs need changing? Have you tried an injector cleaner additive?

Be interesting to know how long since things like the plugs and the fuel filter have been replaced.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CipOlt41

• 1st Gear

• ro Romania
      Cluj
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

I have used in the past a couple of bottles of STP petrol treatment, with no real improvement, as for the spark plugs, they were visited sometime last year, by a mechanic and said that they were in good shaped and he just used a brush to give them a gentle cleaning.

I suppose it would be good idea to have them changed, maybe at the next oil change.

As for the fuel filter, I'm not entirely sure if that needs to be changed, remember I have a petrol Yaris first gen and even that had a life-time fuel filter. (I am a complete noob, I might be wrong)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 13:18:28 by CipOlt41 »
  • i30, 2009, petrol 1.6

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Have a check around the forum for immobiliser issues & failure symptoms too.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CipOlt41

• 1st Gear

• ro Romania
      Cluj
Have a check around the forum for immobiliser issues & failure symptoms too.

Hi Shambles,
I did, and still looking, that's why I mentioned the orange car with they key in it on the dash board, before anyone asked :)

Have a good one!
  • i30, 2009, petrol 1.6

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Plugs (iridium) should be changed at 120,000km, cleaning iridium plugs is a waste of time as the electrodes run extra hot and clean so there shouldn't be anything to clean really, the plug core is what breaks down over time causing weak spark and possible misfires.

Petrol fuel filter roughly every 4 years for replacement.

Offline CipOlt41

• 1st Gear

• ro Romania
      Cluj
Plugs (iridium) should be changed at 120,000km, cleaning iridium plugs is a waste of time as the electrodes run extra hot and clean so there shouldn't be anything to clean really, the plug core is what breaks down over time causing weak spark and possible misfires.

I guess I'll start with plugs, as for the fuel filter you are mentioning, is that the one located under back seats, somehow coupled with the fuel pump or are you referring to something else?
Also, shouldn't a bad filter give some symptoms while driving?
  • i30, 2009, petrol 1.6

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

is that the one located under back seats
That's the one :goodjob2:

I'd expect a filter to give problems while driving as well, especially when under load.

Offline CipOlt41

• 1st Gear

• ro Romania
      Cluj
Feel free to add more opinions, guys :)

Thanks in advance!
  • i30, 2009, petrol 1.6

Offline coast11

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi there,

I’m experiencing similar issues since I’ve bought my used car.  Spark plugs changed, crank shaft sensor replace and now the most expensive repair recently, my ecu cloned (cost over £500 to do) and it’s still intermittently doing it.

Did you find a solution ?

Thanks!
  • 2010 i30 1.6

Offline CipOlt41

• 1st Gear

• ro Romania
      Cluj
Hi there,

I’m experiencing similar issues since I’ve bought my used car.  Spark plugs changed, crank shaft sensor replace and now the most expensive repair recently, my ecu cloned (cost over £500 to do) and it’s still intermittently doing it.

Did you find a solution ?

Thanks!

Hi there and sorry for the late reply.

unfortunately I haven't manage to progress with resolving my issue.

I've changed the crankshaft sensor and the purge valve but it didn't help...

I don't know what could be the issue, I've also checked the fuel pressure and also took it to the official Hyundai dealer and they also were clueless.

Recently came back from a 2k km trip and the car did well so I'm pleased with here and learned to live with this small inconvenient. :)

Maybe I'll try to replace the purge valve as I bought the first one from Aliexpress  and it was a cheap replace.

I remember when I changed the crank shaft sensor it started well for the following 20 times and I was certain the problem was fixed... :)

Let us know if you find a solution!

Cheers
  • i30, 2009, petrol 1.6

Offline florindaniel

• 1st Gear

• ro Romania
Hey, i have the exact same problem only that sometimes it starts, the engine has a very low hum and shakes pretty bad than it shuts down. Something that someone told me but i never really tried, was to spin the key only 2 levels, to start the electric system, wait until most the dashboard witnesses disappear, and then start the engine. If this is a frequent problem, you can try this. In my case this only happened maybe 10 times in the last 6 months.
  • 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4, Manual, Grey

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal