i30 Owners Club

Acceleration issues and stuttering on 2013 petrol i30 1.8l

Offline fizzybee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to having to fix my car. About 3 days ago on a highway drive, I was coasting down the on-ramp and when I began to accelerate, the engine hesitated, then started jumping. the revs remained low despite my foot being at least half-way planted, but intermittently it jumped up, as though it was bunny hopping. Now it's started doing it at start also, as though the idle is too low and it's threatening to conk out. If I drive it in manual mode, it's a bit better, but the hesitation is still there. In auto it can also struggle to change gear unless I absolutely floor it.
As some background, I've had the accelerator hesitation since it was quite new. I told Hyundai and they'd reset the ECU (I assume), it would run a bit better for a while, then within a couple of months, the problem would return. :head_knock: It was dangerous at times as I would be speeding up to enter highway traffic and if I didn't hit the 'sweet spot' with the pedal, the revs would drop out and the car would slow instead of speed up. Lots of reading is pointing to the TPS or the ECU in general, though I'm damned if I can actually figure out where it is on my engine. :eek: It took my 20 minutes to figure out how to take the engine cover off (and a lot of swearing).
I am newly separated from my hubby and am pretty broke, so I'm trying to see if there's anything I can do myself, not least because Hyundai have just not helped at all. I bought an OBD scanner and waiting for it to arrive, but am looking for any knowledge I can gain from experienced owners and tinkerers on this subject, before I dive in and possibly break it more!!
I've stopped driving it for now, as I'm sure it's not safe and I have a child I'd rather keep in one piece!
  • 2013 i30 6sp auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome,

Oh dear  that's not good at all. For an inexperienced newby you've done a very good job of explaining the issue and I'm so impressed that you have even ordered a scanner!

Nobody can say you haven't given it your best shot. Have you got any written evidemce filed anywhere that documents a similar issue while the warranty was still active? This could be handy going forward to lever some help from Hyundai Australia. 

They really do need a kick up the butt if they are hanging you out to dry.  :disapp:

I'm a sucker for a damsel in distress.  I'm not being sexist, but if I lived closer I'd be happy to help.

Early in your post I thought maybe bad fuel, but then you explained it's been there in some form or other for a long time.

Hopefully we get some helpful suggestions anf ideally an extra helpful member who lives nearby.  :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline fizzybee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Thank you for the kind words. I guess desperation has driven me to learn :) Hyundai don't appear to have kept many records on concerns I raised as they also advised me, on the phone, that it had a leaking rear strut, 2 years into it's new car warranty. they said they'd replace it for free.
They apparently put in an order for the part.... then nothing. I also forgot all about it as life and work are hectic and didn't remember until after the warranty had expired when I took it to Pedders as it felt like something was wrong.
After talking to them I remembered and rang Hyundai... they said there was no record of the leaking strut or an order placed.
I love my car and I don't think the issues are a reflection on Hyundai as a whole, but there are some dealers/shops, that just need to up their game.  :mad:
Also, I noticed you're in Tassie... I used to live in Hobart!  :cool:
  • 2013 i30 6sp auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thank you for the kind words. I guess desperation has driven me to learn :) Hyundai don't appear to have kept many records on concerns I raised as they also advised me, on the phone, that it had a leaking rear strut, 2 years into it's new car warranty. they said they'd replace it for free.
They apparently put in an order for the part.... then nothing. I also forgot all about it as life and work are hectic and didn't remember until after the warranty had expired when I took it to Pedders as it felt like something was wrong.
After talking to them I remembered and rang Hyundai... they said there was no record of the leaking strut or an order placed.
I love my car and I don't think the issues are a reflection on Hyundai as a whole, but there are some dealers/shops, that just need to up their game.  :mad:
Also, I noticed you're in Tassie... I used to live in Hobart!  :cool:

Yes, I think Hyundai are definitely one of the better main stream car companies but think they need to monitor the quality of some of their dealers service departments a bit more closely.  Some dealers don't seem to understand how much this can affect repeat business.  We see it all the time on here.  Same issue (not necessarily this one) with two completely different outcomes depending on the dealer.

Yes, who would have thought someone from little old Tassie would have co-founded this brilliant world wide site over 12 years ago.  So glad to be in Tassie at the moment even though we are very much missing our twice yearly mainland road trips. 

I think you should contact Hyundai Australia with details of this fault and your experience with the suspension issue as well. There is a small chance you will find a sympathetic ear. Explain your current tight financial situation etc. Not that you should have to.

I'm still hoping  one of our amazing members will come along with some other ideas to help you get one or both issues sorted.

Good luck.

Offline fizzybee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
That’s actually a great idea. I didn’t think to contact their head office. I might give that a shot. I don’t really have anything to lose!
  • 2013 i30 6sp auto

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
@fizzybee    Hello, have you had a full service done with the spark plugs replaced and checked the ignition leads?
I have encountered the stuttering before in a different vehicle but it was caused by a bad ignition lead so it may be worth a check
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline fizzybee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
No I haven’t had it serviced since the issue really escalated. But, it was serviced this year, around March from memory.
Having said that, my negative battery terminal connection was almost corroded right through and I just replaced it, so I’m wondering if this has triggered an electrical problem.
The ignition lead and sparkies are next on the list now, thank you so much for the advice!
I took it to Hyundai on Wednesday and they found no fault. They performed a gearbox software upgrade, but I have no confidence they did any more fault finding than just plugging the car in to a laptop.  :head_butt:
  • 2013 i30 6sp auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No I haven’t had it serviced since the issue really escalated. But, it was serviced this year, around March from memory.
Having said that, my negative battery terminal connection was almost corroded right through and I just replaced it, so I’m wondering if this has triggered an electrical problem.
The ignition lead and sparkies are next on the list now, thank you so much for the advice!
I took it to Hyundai on Wednesday and they found no fault. They performed a gearbox software upgrade, but I have no confidence they did any more fault finding than just plugging the car in to a laptop.  :head_butt:

Is there another Hyundai dealer or service centre you can try that is not too inconvenient for you? If so, go and see them and ask to see the service advisor or service manager. Explain your situation with regards to issues not being addressed under warranty... etc. Mention this thread on here and how you are looking for a better place to service your car on an ongoing basis. Let them know your circumstances and that you are doing it tough. I few tears wouldn't go astray.. from what you have told us, you must feel like crying some days. Good luck!   :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal