i30 Owners Club

Keys (problems getting my key in and out the door lock)

Offline robertwiltsher

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Hi guys - I am having increasing problems getting my key in and out the lock on the door. I have a 2011 petrol 1.4 i30. Increasingly, it does not go fully in and has to be pushed before it enters fully and can turn in the lock, Is this serious, what could be causing it, has anyone else had this issue and what may need doing to fix it ? I was thinking that a spray of WD40 may fix it but haven't tried that yet. All assistance gratefully received ! Thanks  :victory:
  • 2011 i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Robert,

I'm a bit confused? Doesn't your model have remote central locking? Personally i prefer graphite powder as a lock lubricant but it can stain your clothes if too much gets on the key. WD 40 is definitely an option as well of course.  Either of these should do the trick.

I feel like my arms have been cut off or that I'm visiting a third world country if i have to insert a key in an ignition lock.

I can't recall the last time i used a key in a door lock to enter a car.  :crazy2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I use one regularly.
A special cut, non transponder blank which can go in the surf on a cord around my neck.
I used one for eight years with my FD. Despite worrying about the effects of salt, I never had an issue.
I much prefer graphite powder in locks of any kind rather than WD40, but not for any scientific reason.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I put little bit of gun oil once or twice a year. It stays on a bit better than WD-40.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline robertwiltsher

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Sorry - should have explained ! My transponder key has not worked for some time. Thanks for your responses !
  • 2011 i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'd be motivated to sort out the transponder issue, Robert. It's so much better than tempting fate with use of mechanical means over wireless, especially for the older cars, regardless of model. I think some posts here go into it.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I put little bit of gun oil once or twice a year. It stays on a bit better than WD-40.
... and it keeps the burglars away.  :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Even if you use the key to manually unlock the door, doesn't the transponder chip have to work properly to be recognised by the immobiliser? Did your car not come with 2 keys?

If the key isn't unlocking the car, it could be a number of things wrong with it, maybe the transmitter in the key fob or the receiver in the car. Either way, I would try and get the remote locking working. When I collected my current car I found one of the keys didn't work, so the dealer arranged for an RAC guy to come out in his van and make me a new key on the spot.

If you want to persist with using the key here is a YouTube video comparing various lubricants for pin-tumbler locks. Generally, oil-based lubricants can eventually gum up the lock and attract dirt.

:link: What Is Best Lubricant For Locks WD-40 Graphite Teflon Silicone PTFE Spray Tri-FLow - YouTube
  • i30 CRD

Offline sharpypaul

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Southampton
Hi, do you not use the key fob to unlock the door? WD40 won't do it any harm but it might not work. You have nothing to lose though  :)
  • i30 SE

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
The key has a profiled slot cut in it, so I don't know what the lock structure is like inside, but I imagine when you're pushing the key in it's pushing against spring-loaded pins. If the key hits an obstruction that stops it being fully inserted I can only think it's one of those pins that is stiff, or something in the actual keyway that is obstructing it. If it was the latter, I would expect it to block the key all the time, whereas you can get your key in, it just needs a bit of force.

If a dry graphite or PTFE lubricant won't free it up, you may have to take the door lock out and see if you can clean out the lock barrel, if it can be removed from the rest of the lock. When taking it apart be meticulous about what you're doing so you know how to put it back together. It may suddenly fly apart in a shower of springs.

I would still try and get the remote locking working. 
  • i30 CRD

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Car key locks can suffer from cold, salt and dirt accumulation over time. I used a little WD40 on old Corrola key lock years back and it freed it up nicely. Use a tissue or rag to wipe the key of the dirty residue each time after inserting and removing. The idea is to remove dirt rather than flood the lock.
I am aware WD40 has its critics and there maybe better products for locks, but it is something many of us may already have in our garages and I can say it worked for me.
Agree with others about getting the remote back working. What about your spare key? Dead key battery?
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal