i30 Owners Club

Drive Belt Tension

scuzz · 3 · 1879

Offline scuzz

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK, Merseyside
Hello everyone!

Thanks to the amazing threads already on here I've changed my drive belt on my auto 2014 hatchback as it was squealing something terrible.

I tested the engine and no noise, perfecto - however when I stopped it and had a lookover I noticed the belt looks like its slipping over the tensioner a little and I'm just looking for some peace of mind really. The old belt looked similar before I took it off, like it was a little over the edge...  I've attached photos. First one should be the old one and second the new.

Is this normal or do I need to replace something else?

• Hyundai i30 2014 1.6 CRDI

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I've just had a look at the belt on my car and it doesn't overhang the tensioner pulley like yours does. You can see the pulley is flat with a radius along the edge. The edge of my belt lines up with where the radius ends, ie. it sits on the flat part of the pulley. It look like your tensioner is sitting too close to the engine block by a few mm, and looking at your photo, the edge of the pulley looks very close to the body of the tensioner.

In your photo one can also see a rusty coloured band on the surface of the pulley, I wonder if this is where the belt used to run.

It may be worth taking the belt off and feeling if the tensioner pulley is floating from side to side.

• i30 CRD

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Isn't the tensioner pulley wheel plastic? whats with the rust anyway - maybe the bearing is shot or something?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal