i30 Owners Club

Glow plugs might be broken, Car starts very hard in winter, waiting doesnt help

Offline Neversleep

• 1st Gear

• ro Romania
Hello everyone, I'm new to the club and I'm happy that i could join. :D
The things is , I already have a question for you, fellow i30 owners. I own (as my description says) a 2014 i30, 1.6 crdi (diesel), 5door wagon, (the 110bhp engine model). As I'm not a mechanic or anything close to it I don't know if I have a problem with my car's glow plugs or they should be just like this. My car starts very hard in the winter (in Romania around -5 to -10 degrees Celsius), even if i wait more than 10 minutes with my ignition(key position) ON . Many people told me that I should wait 2 to 3 minutes or less for my glow plugs to do the magic and warm the engine chamber to a temperature that helps the car start normally, this being shown by the glow plug indicator in the dashboard(the indicator should turn off when the chamber warmed up enough)... The thing is that my glow plug indicator turns off imediately after turning the ignition on(1 or 2 seconds after), leaving me to think that they might not work properly... So i have to try to start the car like 2 or 3 times before it acually starts. It doesn't even have to be -5 degrees outside .. Anywhere between -10 and +5 degrees celsius the car has a hard time starting up with no signs of the glow plugs helping me at all , no mater how much i wait (even 10 minutes).
So my question is:
 Do i need to go to the service , so an authorized mechanic could take a look or not? Or can it be solved at home by replacing something?
If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it very very much.
(Ps: sorry for the long text but i tried to decribe every detail that could help in solving the problem) Cheers! Have a good day!!
  • 2014 I30 5-door wagon, diesel 1.6 crdi, manual, grey

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
 :wttc:

When your car does start after this lengthy wait, is there a lot of white'ish smoke from the exhaust?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Neversleep

• 1st Gear

• ro Romania
I did not notice any Whiteish or any decoloured smoke, other than the normal "winter smoke " (maybe vapors) caused by low temperatures, whitch is a normal thing in winter(maybe) .. but nothing unusual... I did notice that the rpm are higher on cold start and go down as the engine warms up and also noticed some weird random vibrations, that can bee seen on the rpm screen too, the needle jumping a bit down and up again when idleing...

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Glow plugs or glow plug relay could cause bad cold starts. Any mechanic should be able to measure if they are broken or not and change them. Home mechanic can do this also. But if in doubt, take it to a shop for the job.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Neversleep

• 1st Gear

• ro Romania
Thank you all for the replies :D .. My only last 2 questions are that if there was a problem with the glow plugs or glow plug relay, shouldn't there be a warning indicator in the dashboard for that? Or anything telling me that there is a problem with them, besides the rough cold start?

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Some cars monitor the state of glow plugs, but I have not seen any Hyundai have that feature. Probably thats why there are no fault lights/codes.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal