i30 Owners Club

Headgasket replacement. Hyundai i30 crdi 2009. Cant find any info.

Offline freddiefairlane

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Sweden
Hi fellas, just joined. I could really use your help. I need to swap out my headgasket on my Hyundai i30 crdi (90hp) 2009. I have a hard time finding any usefull information on how much of a teardown I have to do. I have already started, and where I am at now is that I really question if i have to remove the cover for the timing chain and remove one of the chains to get the camshafts out? It looks like it, but it feels odd that I have to. If anyone could link something that would explain this I'd be really happy. Additional information regarding the cylinder head and the timing chain on this engine is also very welcome.

I apologize if my english isnt up to scale. Thanks for reading.
  • Hyundai i30 crdi -09

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi fellas, just joined. I could really use your help. I need to swap out my headgasket on my Hyundai i30 crdi (90hp) 2009. I have a hard time finding any usefull information on how much of a teardown I have to do. I have already started, and where I am at now is that I really question if i have to remove the cover for the timing chain and remove one of the chains to get the camshafts out? It looks like it, but it feels odd that I have to. If anyone could link something that would explain this I'd be really happy. Additional information regarding the cylinder head and the timing chain on this engine is also very welcome.

I apologize if my english isnt up to scale. Thanks for reading.

Welcome Freddie, your English is great. Unfortunately while I clearly understand your post I have no worthwhile feedback to help you on this one.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I really question if i have to remove the cover for the timing chain and remove one of the chains to get the camshafts out? It looks like it, but it feels odd that I have to.

Chain goes from block to the cylinder head, so you definately have to remove the chain if you are taking the head out.

1. Remove drive belt.
2. Remove timing chain
3. Remove intake and exhaust manifold
4. Remove fuel delivery pipe
5. Remove thermostat housing
6. Remove vacuum pump
7. Remove camsaft bearing caps
8. Remove camsaft
9. Remove cam follower
10. Remove hydraulic lash adjust
11. Remove head bolts
12. Remove cylinder head.

These are from the shop manual. There may be some extra steps in the manual. I recommend you get one. They cost like 100-200sek. Will save you time/money.

Not sure if camshaft is mandatory to be removed. Maybe if there are head bolts underneath it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 20:52:26 by sundiz »
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline freddiefairlane

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Sweden
I really question if i have to remove the cover for the timing chain and remove one of the chains to get the camshafts out? It looks like it, but it feels odd that I have to.

Chain goes from block to the cylinder head, so you definately have to remove the chain if you are taking the head out.

1. Remove drive belt.
2. Remove timing chain
3. Remove intake and exhaust manifold
4. Remove fuel delivery pipe
5. Remove thermostat housing
6. Remove vacuum pump
7. Remove camsaft bearing caps
8. Remove camsaft
9. Remove cam follower
10. Remove hydraulic lash adjust
11. Remove head bolts
12. Remove cylinder head.

These are from the shop manual. There may be some extra steps in the manual. I recommend you get one. They cost like 100-200sek. Will save you time/money.

Not sure if camshaft is mandatory to be removed. Maybe if there are head bolts underneath it.

Thanks alot! Yeah there are head bolts underneath. Ofcourse I know that the chain must come of, but between the housing of the chain and the cylinder head there is a small gap, so I kinda wondered if I could in some way loosen up the upper chain and take the camshafts out and then pull the head straight up. Propably not but it would have saved so much f*cking time if it was possible, so I wanted to check up on that first  :wink:
  • Hyundai i30 crdi -09

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
In theory that trick might work. I did that once to another car. As I said, there are some things in the official manual, that are not mandatory or they can be done faster/easier. Not sure if you can check timing marks correctly with the cover on. How many kms your car got? I would check the timing chain guides and sliders while at there. If badly worn, replace with new ones. If a lot of kms, then might even change the chain.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline freddiefairlane

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Sweden
In theory that trick might work. I did that once to another car. As I said, there are some things in the official manual, that are not mandatory or they can be done faster/easier. Not sure if you can check timing marks correctly with the cover on. How many kms your car got? I would check the timing chain guides and sliders while at there. If badly worn, replace with new ones. If a lot of kms, then might even change the chain.
Yeah I will see if I can get my hands on a shop manual. Car got about 140000km I think
  • Hyundai i30 crdi -09

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal