i30 Owners Club

Oil Change 1.6 CRDI

Mark65 · 3 · 1899

Offline Mark65

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Evening All,
Today I changed my oil early as I've done mostly short runs for a while, I had a feeling it was overfilled at the last service from Hyundai as it was about a cm over the full mark, I got just over 5.5 litres out  :eek:.
I read on here about the oil extractors so as I'm getting older I thought I would give it a try, I've seen the sumps for these on ebay and it seems by design using the sump plug you will not get all the oil out so that's another reason to try the pump, I just put the rear wheel up on the curb to tilt the car the front offside  :D, it all came out easy peasy, I used a Pela 6000, put 5ltrs in and had a drive, checked the level and it was pretty much bang on the full mark.
Its in its last year of warranty now but I think I will carry on doing the oil changes at 7-8 thousand mile intervals, it cost me about £39 for a genuine Hyundai filter and 5 litres of Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30, compared to the £120 Hyundai wanted for an optional interim oil change.
Also has it ever been confirmed that running the aircon really turns off the EGR valve on these models.

Thanks
Mark
  • i30 CRDi

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I always refill with 5 litres and it takes the level up to the full mark on the dipstick. I know the book says 5.3 litres but, like you, when it's been done at the dealers, the oil level is above the full mark.

Last time I bought some Professional AG 5W-30 I bought a 20 litre drum for £69-50. I look after two cars and change at 10,000 mile intervals, so 20 litres will do four changes. The oil filter fitted at the dealer is a Mahle OX351D, last time I bought these I paid £14-50 for two, but I also use Mann filters when they're on offer.

I haven't had much luck with oil extractors, I bought a 12V electric one from Lidl, which managed to suck about 2 litres out before giving up. I also tried a friends Pela 6000. but I found it really slow and the inside gets so dirty it's hard to tell how much has been sucked out. The tube that goes down the dipstick also got stuck and I nicked the plastic coating pulling it out, so I had to repair it with heatsink sleeving.

Since then, I've stuck to getting underneath and draining out through the sump plug. My drive slopes downwards, so by driving the front wheels onto wooden ramps I can have the car completely level and have enough space to get underneath to drain the oil out.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Mark65

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Hi, the pump was great but yes dirty, when done a quick swill with some white spirits or petrol cleans it, it has a stiff section that looks like outer brake cable on pushbikes so was easy to touch the bottom of the sump, my oil was terrible, stained everything jet black it touched.
I checked this morning when i got to work as I have done about 120 miles over the weekend and it was a bit darker but clean at the edges on the dipstick, I bought two more filters for £10 each last night and wouldn't you know it Opie oils has a voucher to knock 15% of the price of the oil now.
I thought about the blanking plate with the small hole on the EGR or just dropping the oil at 6-8k intervals as I plan on keeping this car a while, it had no problems on its MOT on Saturday, the MOT chaps were saying the rear axle is the same as a Ford Focus.
  • i30 CRDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal