i30 Owners Club

i30 1.6 CRDi 2014 (64 plate) Non Starting Issue :(

Offline Funkyfin2000

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Hi All,

New to the forum - thanks for having me and hope someone can help with a pretty serious issue. The car is a 2014 i30 CRDI 1.6ltr.

The issue was intermittent with the car sometimes not starting - and then the problem has got worse, with the car not starting at all now from the key/ignition.

I've done a You Tube video to help you see the issue - but essentially, all the electrics and car work fine, but when you go to try and crank the engine nothing happens. You get clicking from the fuses/solenoid, but nothing happens at all.

When you push the key to the cranking position the radio and main beam lights go off as well but come back on when the key returns to normal position.

A mechanic has looked at it - and has been able to start the car by 'hot wiring' it under the boot - but I don't know how to replicate this. To me this indicates that the starting circuit is fine - and that this must be an ignition fault maybe?  It can't be immobiliser or battery fault, as it can be started from under the bonnet somehow and has run after this fine and with no issues.

Any ideas or clues to help track this down would be very helpful :(

Please see the videos here:

and under the bonnet to:

Much help needed would be awesome before I spend more and more money at it without fixing it :(

Rich
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 19:21:47 by Funkyfin2000 »
  • i30 CRDI 1.6

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi there  :wttc:

Is there any warranty remaining?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Funkyfin2000

• 2nd Gear

• UK

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
A 2016 model should still be covered...?

Offline Funkyfin2000

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Apologies I've made a complete booboo on my part!! It's a 64 plate.... 2014... My bad. I'll edit my post.
  • i30 CRDI 1.6

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Could it be the contact that detects you have the clutch pedal pushed in when trying to start? Is there a microswitch on the pedal that is not being actuated?

The click you can hear under the bonnet when trying to crank it, is that from a relay in the fuse/relay box, or does it sound like the starter motor solenoid pulling in?

Without a wiring diagram I can't be sure, but I think the starter motor is interlocked with the oil pressure sensor, so you can't crank the engine if it detects oil pressure healthy (engine already spinning)
  • i30 CRD

Offline Funkyfin2000

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Its a manual not an auto - so no clutch work needed to start... should be twist the key and it cranks and goes.

The clicking appears to come from the fuse box... where is the starter solenoid? the other side of the engine bay I presume?

It's so odd! It's at the garage again but needs careful diagnostics, working back from the ignition I reckon!

Thanks for your input - any more helpful items would be great!
  • i30 CRDI 1.6

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Its a manual not an auto - so no clutch work needed to start

That's weird. On my 2014 Style Nav I had to depress the clutch otherwise it would not crank - designed to inhibit the starter unless the clutch pedal was depressed (which is what @BrendanP is referring to).

Offline Funkyfin2000

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Its a manual not an auto - so no clutch work needed to start

That's weird. On my 2014 Style Nav I had to depress the clutch otherwise it would not crank - designed to inhibit the starter unless the clutch pedal was depressed (which is what @BrendanP is referring to).

ignore me - I was probably being silly about the auto. I am putting the clutch down but it still doesn't start....

So.... possibly the clutch switch could be an issue....
  • i30 CRDI 1.6

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
possibly the clutch switch could be an issue

That might be what your mechanic bypassed when he "hot-wired" it. Is that same mechanic at the garage where it is right now? Might be worth calling them and let them know you've had an epiphany ;)

Offline Funkyfin2000

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Different mechanic, but it sounds like that could be the issue.

Do we know if there is defo a clutch switch and is it in the pedal box?
  • i30 CRDI 1.6

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Your Owners Manual should confirm that you need to engage the clutch, hence the switch will be within the clutch pivot region.

Have a look at the posts from Martini in this topic which give a good insight into the location of this switch.

Offline Funkyfin2000

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Very useful, will mention this to the garage, sounds like it could very well be the issue. If everything else is fine, ie the car can be started from under the bonnet, and all the solenoids and fuses click etc when ignition is engaged, it could very well be this switch.

Anyone else has this issue at all? Does the switch tell the engineer module its OK to start, what is the point of it?
  • i30 CRDI 1.6

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
what is the point of it?

My guess is it's there to prevent you lurching forwards with a powerful diesel engine when you crank while engaged in gear.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Got this from an internet search.

There is a clutch safety switch which needs to be engaged in order for your ignition to work when you turn the key. It can only be engaged when you press down on the clutch pedal. This is to prevent you from trying to start the car while it's in gear. Just a safety feature they installed in cars a long time ago.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I tried it on my car, just out of curiosity, and trying to start without pushing the clutch pedal all the way down makes the radio display and all the other indicators in the centre console go blank. If you have cruise control I think there's another micro switch to cancel it when you push the pedal in very slightly.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Funkyfin2000

• 2nd Gear

• UK
So the same behaviour as my video basically???
  • i30 CRDI 1.6

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I think so. I tried to re-watch your video again but it comes back with a message saying the content has been removed.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Funkyfin2000

• 2nd Gear

• UK

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
QUICK REPLY
Yes. I took a photo of the switch and tested it by kneeling down and pressing the rod in with my finger whilst starting the car - which it did. Make sure the car is in neutral!!

• i30 CRD

Offline Bonzai_101

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Dublin
Morning

Some of the posts here sound like a rabbit hole.

I had a 1.2 Corsa with the same problem - a less complicated vehicle albeit .
The immediate solution was a to stick the car in 4th gear and Rock it and forward and backwards .
I got this from a  Youtube Video for troubleshooting starting Motors .
The starting Motor requires the most electricity during the running of the car .
I may be wrong but I still think your issue is related to the alternator and starting motor .
I'd like other peoples thoughts from the Forum before we decide what to do next ....
  • 2008 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6 CRDi , Manual , Grey

Offline Funkyfin2000

• 2nd Gear

• UK
It's still in the garage so as soon as its out and they update me I'll let you know.
  • i30 CRDI 1.6

Offline Woodyman

• 1st Gear

• england England
      Lincolnshire
Hi
Check earth connection to engine and body,a quick confirmation of bad earth can be done with jump lead on battery earth and other end on good engine metal contact,if engine works with no dip in lights it will silmply be a bad connection  just clean body clan and engine strap,belief or nor the engine strap is often missing or damaged
Hope this works for you
Good luck
  • i30 2018 model SET- GDI 5 door hatchback petrol 998 cc Colour RED

Offline Funkyfin2000

• 2nd Gear

• UK
The car has been scrapped! The garage couldn't find anything wrong - its been sold on to the garage and scrapped :(
  • i30 CRDI 1.6

Offline Brian5291

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
Aww shame looks like a low mileage too. My sister in law had the same issues as she used have to press the clutch down to switch it on but it wouldn’t do anything at one point like your video, after a long investigation was the clutch pedal sensor, at first we replaced it with one bought off eBay but still the same issue, then we purchased it from Hyundai and it worked again straight away. I hope you didn’t lose too much money on it.
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 CDRI MK2

Offline Funkyfin2000

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Thanks mate, yeah lost a fair bit really but hey ho :( Not great. Its still sat at the garage as I run past it everyday!
  • i30 CRDI 1.6

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal