Birth of the Ashes

eye30 · 4 · 1054

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
While out yesterday, came across the grave of Albert Neilson Hornby in the parish church in Acton.

The Test match in 1882 was a one-off game played at The Oval in London, England, and the English cricket team lost it to Australia by seven runs. In response, the Sporting Times printed the following "obituary" to English cricket:

In Affectionate Remembrance of ENGLISH CRICKET, which died at the Oval on 29th AUGUST, 1882, Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acquaintances R.I.P. N.B. – The body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia.

Thus was born the greatest rivalry in cricket which to this day is known as The Ashes.

See also:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._N._Hornby
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Come on mate.
Put up the overall win results.  :whistler:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I will save Lester the trouble....

England has won 106 Ashes tests, which is 28 less than the Aussies, and 32 series wins which is one less than Australia.

However - England's record against Australia at test match Tiddly Winks is impressive. England has never been beaten.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
Where I live is acknowledged as the place where the actual ashes trophy was created. There was a match between the touring English team and a local team at the Rupertswood Mansion havre in Sunbury.  The owners wife had a bail burned and put it into a small perfume bottle.  Voila, ashes trophy.

:link: The Birth Place of the ‘Ashes’ | ToMelbourne.com.au
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal