i30 Owners Club

2014 i30 SR Transmission Shifting Problem

Loop · 7 · 1669

Offline Loop

• 1st Gear

• QLD
Hi,
New here and recently a SR owner.
Seems a great little car but the shifting is not quite right.
It hesitates and sometimes goes into an incorrect gear before it finds the correct one.
Put your foot down from a standing start it absolutely leaps off the mark and the problem only surfaces when cruising and a bit extra is asked for mainly on slight inclines or merging into a faster lane and you need some extra speed quick.

In top gear using cruise control at 110kms/hr and you come to a slight hill it starts to hesitate and finally changes down and revs and the speed goes up over the set speed and i have to put my foot on the brake to bring it down to the speed i want.
Even at 80kms/hr it will do the same thing when it comes to a hill...struggles in top for a bit,hesitates and finally changes down and revs and the speed spikes up again and i have to hit brakes.
It seems like flaring or slipping but i don't hear anything when it does it or see the revs spike up.
When it's in the correct gear it goes great it's the problem of finding that correct gear and giving me some extra torque when i need it that is the problem.

Fuel consumption seems to be a little high to as i do mainly highway driving and it was getting up around 7.8-8L/100 kms.

Had it to 2 transmission shops and test driven and they don't think it's a valve body problem. One thinks i should try using higher octane fuel as he thought it might be "hunting".....although it doesn't really seem down on power to me it just seems to have trouble maximising the engine output to the transmission.

The car has 93k kms on the clock and serviced regularly but the dealer says the transmission has never been touched as it has life long fluid in it and there's no way to check the level,color or smell without removing the pan.
I've been told there are software updates available and should have it looked into by a dealer but i'm always hesitant to go to a dealer but probably will in this case,in Brisbane.

Anyone had or know of or heard of an issue like this?
Does it sound like software or TCM issue or valve body?

The problem isn't major but it's annoying as i know it can perform much better.
  • 2014 I30 SR

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
At least here they can change auto trans fluid for our 2014 gd with 1.6gdi engine... Only thing they cant change is the trans oil filter. It is built inside transmission so that you would need to drop transmission and disassemble it.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Loop

• 1st Gear

• QLD
At least here they can change auto trans fluid for our 2014 gd with 1.6gdi engine... Only thing they cant change is the trans oil filter. It is built inside transmission so that you would need to drop transmission and disassemble it.

Must be all done that way to save on space i guess as just a dipstick is a handy tool to check the level and appearance of the transmission fluid.
  • 2014 I30 SR

Offline Loop

• 1st Gear

• QLD
I managed to eliminate the transmission as the problem and thought the VVT Solenoids could be the culprit where the transmission would change down because they weren't advancing the valve timing quick enough when more power was wanted.

After reading this...

3. Engine stumbles when climbing hills or under load
A faulty VVT switch will also cause the engine to misfire or appear to stumble when your vehicle is loaded with extra weight, climbing hills, or when you apply quick pressure to the throttle for instant acceleration. This is caused commonly by an electrical issue with the switch and not always the switch itself. If you notice this problem and contact a local ASE certified mechanic to inspect the issue, it's highly likely that they won't have to replace the variable valve timing switch. However, proper diagnosis is needed to verify that it's a problem elsewhere. If you ignore the problem, the potential of further engine damage will increase. 

which exactly describes the issue i have. I decided to take it to the local mechanic and get them to remove the solenoids and give them a good clean as well as checking the electrical side of it was working properly. I knew there was only one bolt holding each in and it ended up 1 hour labour all up to do the job.

The solenoids weren't that bad but they gave them a good clean and the result is i think it's finally running properly. The VVT seems to advance as soon as i put my foot down just a little instead of hesitating and causing the transmission to change down and the engine to rev. First time i put my foot down i just went wow..!! big difference but because of lockdown i couldn't take it for a long drive but will tomorrow now it's lifted.

Two transmission shops and 3 different mechanics couldn't work it out but lots of internet research and finally the quote above made me confident i knew what it was. Seems a very small bit of crap in a/the solenoid/s may have been causing the problem.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 06:37:38 by Loop »
  • 2014 I30 SR

Offline Loop

• 1st Gear

• QLD
Success confirmed  :goodjob2:
It's running much better now.
  • 2014 I30 SR

Online TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Success confirmed  :goodjob2:
It's running much better now.

Good to hear.  Smart sleuthing on your part.  :victory:

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal