i30 Owners Club

CRDI Fluid leak- what is is and where from ?

Offline captaindagman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Hi all,

My 2009 CRDI ( UK spec , manual ) has started dropping a fluid from somewhere behind the engine.  It is a reddish/brown colour and feels like a thin oil.  ATF maybe ?  The clutch and brake fluid is not this colour neither is the coolant. As my car has a manual transmission, where would this be coming from ?

All comments gratefully received.
  • i30 crdi ( 115 PS ) 2009

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If not air con moisture then if engine oil ok presume gearbox area.

Is the fuel line ok.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
It wont be ATF unless its an auto (ATF = Auto Trans Fluid). PS is electric on these so wont be that, so that only leaves a couple of places.

Engine oil
Trans oil
AC refrigerant leak
AC moisture drain from the condenser (normal)
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

Offline captaindagman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
Thanks for that.

I think that narrows it down to transmission or air con.   What does AC refrigerant look/feel like ? is it an oil ?

I will check to see what sort of lube is used for the transmission. I seem to recall that it is factory filled for life. I've never topped it up.

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I think the reference to aircon was regarding condensate water dripping, not refrigerant. I don't think refrigerant would be a liquid leak.
Gearbox oil leak I would hope to be a rare thing these days. If it was, it would appear on the gearbox side of the car, rather than behind the engine as you stated.
Are you able to see anything from underneath the car as to where it is coming from and trace it back.?
@eye30 asked you about fuel lines. You have a diesel, does the liquid smell like diesel.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline captaindagman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
I have found the problem. When the engine is turned off and it is hot, coolant sprays out onto the hot turbo and the water evaporates. The ethylene glycol then drips down the back of the engine.
I don't understand what is going on. It does not leak when the engine is running but spurts out as soon as the engine shuts down. It is coming out of a small hole in the metal pipe tail just below the hose that comes from the reservoir/expansion tank.  The hole looks like it is manufactured as it is perfectly round and there is no sign of any corrosion.
I have filled up the reservoir and pushed the hose further down onto the tail so it covers the hole and put the clip back.  So far this seems to have cured the leak.  Question is why did it do it ? 

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
Of course, the one i didnt mention cause i thought it would be obvious lol.

Things move around over time with heat cycles, expansion and contraction, big service man hands, etc. Glad you found it!
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I'm pleased to hear that you traced the source and fixed it.
Can you confirm it was just excess coolant being dumped from the expansion tank overflow?
Any chance of a photo? That would be useful if anyone has the same problem in the future.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline captaindagman

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex
I have solved my problem by trading the car in against a 2018 Kia Cee'd 1.6crdi. It is the latest version of the same engine with a bit more power and torque - and 4 years warranty !

Thanks for your comments.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal