i30 Owners Club

i30 Constant flat battery - need advice with GPS unit.

Offline johnny-chips

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
So the battery in my i30 keeps going flat if I don't drive for 2 days. At first I assumed it was a dead battery so I bought a new one... then it happened again. I took it to a local garage who checked the battery health and alternator - they said everything was fine, so at this point I imagined I was leaving a door open or the bluetooth receiver in the cigarette lighter was draining the battery; so I very, very carefully took everything out and turned everything off....

2 days later - dead battery.

I called the local Hyundai garage, and after explaining the issue the Mechanic said: "Does your car have a pop up GPS unit" (which it does) - he said if I wanted to save some money to just disconnect that.

I spent hours on google - I can't find any information on how to do this; or even the fact that this unit exists:

Can anyone help point me in the right direction - I just want to disconnect it!
  • i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Surely as the garage suggested to disconnect as it seems it is a known fault, assuming it is factory or dealer fitted, then they will be able to advise or do foc.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I've never seen one of those, obviously I've not been paying attention.

As an aside - after you shut the door and lock the car, is the dash display still lit up?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've never seen one of those, obviously I've not been paying attention.

As an aside - after you shut the door and lock the car, is the dash display still lit up?

I wasn't aware of those as a factory option on the FD either ( so don't feel bad)  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline quankino

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Take off the facia and see how wires go in there. We don't have that popup in Aus model :D
  • 2011 Hyundai i30 FD Trophy Auto

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
At least my home-grown version of that doesn't drain the battery. :Pout:

Google around and you'll find Youtube content on removing the fascia. Then you can replace the top panel with the much more functional storage pocket.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline johnny-chips

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks all,

> I've never seen one of those, obviously I've not been paying attention.

I've scoured the internet, it's like it doesn't exist outside of my card!

> As an aside - after you shut the door and lock the car, is the dash display still lit up?
You push it down and it turns off; the mechanic reckons it's NOT turning off when you push it down, hence the drain.

> Google around and you'll find Youtube content on removing the fascia. Then you can replace the top panel with the much more functional storage pocket.

You're not kidding; the inbuilt gps is worst than navigating blindfold with a map from the 1980s.
  • i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal