i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 476 · 230849

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
@LargePig
Oh I see what you mean, a quick Google suggests it maybe connected to the illumination. On reflecting what the original poster had trouble with when retro fitting the unit, it sounds possible as when they switched on the head lights the head unit went into a blank screen to a non existent reverse camera.
Maybe it was to dim the screen when the headlights were turned on.
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Here is the head unit fitted, no usb yet but it fitted perfect.
The USB Aux module was actually very easy to remove from my car surprisingly, as it was very tough to remove from the part I received.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 14:34:36 by StokeyBry »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Couldn't wait huh :snigger: bummer that you'll have to pull it all apart again to fit the cable but good job :goodjob:

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Couldn't wait huh :snigger: bummer that you'll have to pull it all apart again to fit the cable but good job :goodjob:

I couldn't wait no lol, :mrgreen: it was gathering dust and I had to fit it. It was good to test it which was flawless.
I know the only downside I suppose taking it apart again, although it was an easy job. I reckon I could have the cable plugged in within 10 minutes it was such a breeze.
I have thought ahead on the USB module and left it out for now until the cable is plugged into it.

I have a question about the USB port, can you use a USB hub to make two USB connections? so I can plug my phone into one and a USB stick drive in the other and have functions of them both?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I have a question about the USB port, can you use a USB hub to make two USB connections? so I can plug my phone into one and a USB stick drive in the other and have functions of them both?
I haven't tried tbh, might be possible with Android but doubt it would work with Apple...even the cables used need to have the correct chip with Apple otherwise they're non-discoverable.

Offline couleurs

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Another successful install here!  :happydance:

Plastic vents off, aircon module, dead GD-01 unit and AUX/USB module out in less than 30 mins... plastic removal tools made it easy.
Then plugged in replacement GD-03 unit along with USB cable and AUX/USB module to test. Headunit powered on but didn't get past the rear camera screen -- snipped the rear camera wire and unit came alive. Afterwards I upgraded to the latest software but had to do it twice as SW + Platform updated the first time but Micom did not. This took around 10 mins each time. Everything installed in around an hour.

Awesome headunit... Google Maps, Waze and Spotify all work great! The sound output and response time is much better compared to the original GD-01 unit -- especially after tweaking the equaliser etc.

Thanks to everyone for the easy install guide, tips and the software update links!  :goodjob:
  • 2014 i30 GD Trophy

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Another successful install here!  :happydance:

Plastic vents off, aircon module, dead GD-01 unit and AUX/USB module out in less than 30 mins... plastic removal tools made it easy.
Then plugged in replacement GD-03 unit along with USB cable and AUX/USB module to test. Headunit powered on but didn't get past the rear camera screen -- snipped the rear camera wire and unit came alive. Afterwards I upgraded to the latest software but had to do it twice as SW + Platform updated the first time but Micom did not. This took around 10 mins each time. Everything installed in around an hour.

Awesome headunit... Google Maps, Waze and Spotify all work great! The sound output and response time is much better compared to the original GD-01 unit -- especially after tweaking the equaliser etc.

Thanks to everyone for the easy install guide, tips and the software update links!  :goodjob:
How you got the software?

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
There is hidden content here which only members can see. Please Login or Register.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
This is what I get:(
I just tried the dropbox link as instructed and using the direct download tab a top right it works fine, don't use the cartronics link as it was taken down, Shambles has provided you another option though :)

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Maybe is because I am from the iPhone app! I will try from my computer. His reply displays on my phone “sorry, content not available”.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
reply displays on my phone “sorry, content not available”.

You have to be logged in to see the link I posted ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
reply displays on my phone “sorry, content not available”.

You have to be logged in to see the link I posted
I have updated it! But I connect my phone with usb. It shows the song that is playing but there no sound from the speakers. Same goes for bluetooth, apple carplay and ipod. Also when there is nothing connected I can hear the beep when I press something, when I connect the phone, the radio doen’t make the beep when I press something. Any help please?
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You'll likely need to run the update twice to get all components of the update installed, and when each update is completed you need use the initialise tab "don't just exit/finish"

This is all explained in the update procedure manual if you had downloaded and read it from the same first post where you were directed to.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
I did it twice and both of the times did the default settings. I also used a usb with songs. Again it recognised the songs but no sound.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I did it twice and both of the times did the default settings. I also used a usb with songs. Again it recognised the songs but no sound.
Did you initialise the system after updating? default settings isn't the same as initialising.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Did you initialise the system after updating? default settings isn't the same as initialising.
What do you mean initialise? After update, hyundai logo comes on, then tap on agree. Go to settings> system> default settings then press yes. Unit restarts and then do the update again and lastly procedure for default settings. Isn’t that it?

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
After pressing default then press initialise, make sure your version numbers are all correct as pictured.

Did you install the update from a blank USB formatted in fat32 ? you cant use the same USB with music on it  to do the upload :undecided:

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Yes, my usb was formatted before copying the file on it and it contains only the update file. The version displayed is the new one.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Was the USB music previously uploaded to the stereos memory/storage ?  might need to reinstall the music, does audio play from the USB on your computer ?

Other than that I don't have any other ideas what may be causing the problem :Dunno: I only plug the iPhone into my USB port and that works fine.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
The song was on another usb which is working perfectly! Do you know where to find the files for the previous firmware so I can roll back to that software?

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Do you know where to find the files for the previous firmware so I can roll back to that software?
Maybe @Shambles might have it :undecided: I'd try reformatting the USB first and reinstall the music as that might help.

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
I don't think that the usb is the issue! No sound comes through when I plug my phone and I also plugged in 2 more phones which didn't solved the problem.... The unit recognize all the devices, music titles etc. The only issue is the sound! The radio stations play normally though!
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
At the end of the day I am stuck with no aux music neither bluetooth for making calls....

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
At the end of the day I am stuck with no aux music neither bluetooth for making calls....

One way of fixing that clicking noise...  :snigger:

All you can do is keep working through the steps as explained by Craig.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus

All you can do is keep working through the steps as explained by Craig.  :undecided:
I already tried 4 times with no luck I think the only way is to get a new unit if I don’t sort this out. By the way which clicking noise are you talking about?
  • Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I already tried 4 times with no luck I think the only way is to get a new unit if I don’t sort this out. By the way which clicking noise are you talking about?

Wasn't it you that was having the Apple music clicking noise? :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal