i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 476 · 230916

Offline slaya

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Hi Craig

Thanks for the advice. Glad I didn't order one :)

Matt
  • 2014 i30 Elite

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi Craig

Thanks for the advice. Glad I didn't order one :)

Matt
No problem :)

Hopefully someone with a late model satnav unit that has the apple play and android option can confirm what model name is given to their unit.

Offline thefonz106

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      VA
First Off, great guide, thank you!!!!

I just purchased a GD-03 from a wrecker in Aus, but will be attempting to put it in my 14 GT (US i30). Talking with some of the guys in the elantra gt/i30 facebook page, I was able to source this image of the aux pinout, that I'll attempt to wire into the main harness. Also I think.... to be clear think... that the santa fe aux/usb plug PART # 961202W500 comes with an extension cable for the dash that would work for this connector (TOO bad we just need the cable). I should be able to chop-off the end for a quick splice. Thoughts?
[/url]
  • 2014 Elantra GT (US i30)

Offline christurnbull

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      WA
If you do not have the GD-03 USB assembly you can buy a pre-made cable like this one

Thanks for your post Samgregory. I'm in the situation of having a GD-03 and the wrong usb/aux assembly (wrecker just pulled one from an early 2015 i30 and won't refund it)

Just to confirm, can you use a single-row (1 port) of a USB motherboard header to female USB cable? Such as one of these?

:link: Startech Panel Mount USB A USB Header 90cm Cable - USBPNLAFHD3 - PLE Computers Online Australia
 or
:link: USB 2.0 A Female Socket to 5Pin Male Panel Mount Header PCB Motherboard Cable TP 962160709912 | eBay

Edit: I now realise what you mean by pitch - the cables i mentioned are probably the traditional 2.54mm pitch and won't work. They need to be 2mm pitch, I understand. I'm now looking at :link: Panel Mount USB Cable Assemblies (since pcpartsandcables seems to be down) edit2: l-com want $50 USD for shipping for a $10 cable (shipping isn't calculated on their website - they email you after and ask for shipping)

I have bought some "seeed grove" cables from the iot website and will cut a usb extension cable instead. Probably 2-part epoxy it into place.

I popped the heatsink off the back of the GD-03 unit and it looks like it would be really easy to solder directly onto the mainboard where the USB socket is.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:45:35 by christurnbull »
  • Early 2015 i30

Offline thefonz106

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      VA
CONFIRMED. I GOT AUX TO WORK, at least in the american elantra gt - non sat/nav. This should theoretically work for the i30 as well.

I acquired the extension cable from a santa fe to the usb dock, that I assume runs to a lower point on the console. Part #961202W500. Removing the female end connector I was able to connect the cable and its 8 wires to the needed connections with the existing 16pin connector via t-tap connectors, and connected the male end to the 96120A5100 usb aux connection. :link: Amazon.com: Ginsco 120 Pcs/60 Pairs Quick Splice Wire Terminals T-Tap Self-stripping with Nylon Fully Insulated Male Quick Disconnects Kit: Home Improvement. This allows me to remove the HD-03 in the event that I want to add back the stock radio and without directly cutting the 16pin harness.

Just matched up the connections from the new to the old. It only works if you have the USB, as it provides power for the aux connection.

• 2014 Elantra GT (US i30)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks very much for the update and pictures. Well done!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline leodb

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi,

I’m trying to complete this on a 2013 wagon with a GD-01, at the same time I’d like to install a rear view camera as it didn’t come with one, I’ve found one that goes directly into the provision for it on the trunk release.

My question is, being a standard video input would that work for this? Am I better of getting an aftermarket stereo instead?
  • Hyundai i30 Premium MY14 Petrol

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi,

I’m trying to complete this on a 2013 wagon with a GD-01, at the same time I’d like to install a rear view camera as it didn’t come with one, I’ve found one that goes directly into the provision for it on the trunk release.

My question is, being a standard video input would that work for this? Am I better of getting an aftermarket stereo instead?
The GD -03 unit has options for the rear view camera that functions with the factory emblem cam, I don't know what connection is required though :undecided:

The option I went for was to have The Car Kit Company come out and install a revision mirror rear view camera :link: Reversing Cameras | The Car Kit Company , I prefer this option as you're generally looking at the rear mirror anyway when reversing and you don't need to take your eyes off the mirror to look down at the head unit.

Offline leodb

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Originally I was trying to avoid the mirror route but I think there’s too many variables with an aftermarket head unit keeping all the existing functions as factory I.e the USB, the microphone etc but think I’ll just get the mirror thanks for that I am curious to know how much it cost you as I plan to DIY it relatively cheaply
  • Hyundai i30 Premium MY14 Petrol

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That type shown in the link is $250 if you install yourself, has auto dimming and a very good rear micro cam.

Offline Hri100

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
Hi guys

I have a 2014 elite with navigation. Can anyone confirm that I will need to get a gd-03 unit from a vehicle with navigation or are they all the same?

Pictures all seem the same for the gd-03 models so I wasn't sure

Thanks
Matt

Same here but 2012. I thought I can have Apple Carplay OEM unit but the more I read, the more disappointed I get.
  • 2013 i30 1.6 CRDi Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I thought I can have Apple Carplay OEM unit but the more I read, the more disappointed I get.
As mentioned in my reply to your message, the units are a different shape.

If the later version satnav units have Carplay then that might be an option for you, the units should fit (dont quote me on it) though I'd expect there might be plug differences which a car audio shop could rectify for you if unable to do it yourself.

The other option is to get a third party unit fitted and matched with a new fascia from aerpro.

Offline Skoobij

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hello everyone, new member here.

I'm about to do this DIY but had a couple of questions first. Firstly thank you to VTH for the amazing and detailed DIY notes.

My question is about the auxiliary and cable assemblies. Anyone from Australia know where to buy the two parts online, or in Sydney? I'm having trouble with the international sellers previously posted.
The part numbers i'm after are (or perhaps there are alternatives?):
- Cable: 96595 D3000, or 96595 A5000
- Auxiliary: 96120 A5100

Thanks everyone! Love the community here.
  • 2012 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8L, Auto, Black i30

Offline IJustKnowStuff

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hey everyone, just signed up as I'm looking at getting a 2015 i30.

I'd love to do this upgrade, but would prefer the AUX to also work.

Since the A/B plugs going onto the GD0-03 head unit are the same as the GD-02, I was thinking could you install a GD-03 head unit, keep your original AUX/USB component and simply de-pin the USB pins from the A/B plugs that go into the GD-03 and redirecting them into the USB specific pins/plug next to the aerial plug?

An aweseome chap posted the GD-02 pinout in another post: :link: GD-02 Pinout

Does anyone have the GD-03 Pinout?

Only issue I can think about is if some grounding is shared, but I can potentially think of a few ways around that.

EDIT: Found a picture of the GD-03 Pinout

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:57:23 by IJustKnowStuff »
  • 2016 i30 Active, 5 Door Hatch, 1.8L Petrol, auto, Polar White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome IJustKnowStuff,

That's a cool username!  :goodjob:

You will know lots more stuff now you are a member here!  :snigger:

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
Fantastic guide VTH - I'm enquiring about a new head unit for my 2012 i30.

With regards to pin outs, I'm presuming with exception to the USB and AUX, the head unit is just literally a plug in swap over?

The GD-01's did come with reversing camera in the Premium line up (and IIRC the next option down from that), and from what I can gather online, the GD-03's certainly had SAT Nav in that range (at least in the Premium option).
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
and from what I can gather online, the GD-03's certainly had SAT Nav in that range (at least in the Premium option).
There were satnav units though they were not allocated GD-0”model numbers, supposedly the units were built/supplied by another manufacturer hence their slightly different shape on the lower fascia.

Offline Skoobij

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
With regards to pin outs, I'm presuming with exception to the USB and AUX, the head unit is just literally a plug in swap over?

Hi Plasticphyte - I also have a 2012 i30. It is literally plug and play with the GD-03, but you do need to de-pin the reverse cam as per VTHs instruction. I just did it a couple of days ago because my GD-01 headunit stopped producing sound suddenly. Took me around 40 minutes because I took my time (I'm not a mechanic/electrician by any means). I reckon it would take me closer to 20 minutes next time now that I know how rough I can be with the trim. It is so good having sound again! Thanks again VTH!

As an update from my post above - I ended up ordering the Auxiliary jack and wire harness from :link: Parts Hyundai | Factory OEM Parts Discounted | Online Dealer. They've been shipped but haven't arrived yet. Will post how it goes!

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus

Hi Plasticphyte - I also have a 2012 i30. It is literally plug and play with the GD-03, but you do need to de-pin the reverse cam as per VTHs instruction. I just did it a couple of days ago because my GD-01 headunit stopped producing sound suddenly. Took me around 40 minutes because I took my time (I'm not a mechanic/electrician by any means). I reckon it would take me closer to 20 minutes next time now that I know how rough I can be with the trim. It is so good having sound again! Thanks again VTH!

As an update from my post above - I ended up ordering the Auxiliary jack and wire harness from :link: Parts Hyundai | Factory OEM Parts Discounted | Online Dealer. They've been shipped but haven't arrived yet. Will post how it goes!

Auxiliary jack and wiring harness, you mean the jack with the usb and the usb wiring harness or the auxiliary wiring harness?

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Hi Plasticphyte - I also have a 2012 i30. It is literally plug and play with the GD-03, but you do need to de-pin the reverse cam as per VTHs instruction.
@Skoobij If Plasticphyte has the premium unit as his signature suggests then it's not plug and play as a GD-0" unit as I previously mentioned wont fit a satnav vehicle.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:51:01 by CraigB »

Offline Skoobij

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
@Skoobij If Plasticphyte has the premium unit as his signature suggests then it's not plug and play as a GD-0" unit as I previously mentioned wont fit a satnav vehicle.

Thanks CraigB! Didn't notice the signature! I think I misunderstood the post. In that case my post above is just another success story of a GD-01 to GD-03 conversion. :goodjob:

Offline Skoobij

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Auxiliary jack and wiring harness, you mean the jack with the usb and the usb wiring harness or the auxiliary wiring harness?

Hi aanastasiou4 - My line of work is in no way mechanical/electrical so I may have stated the parts incorrectly. I am referring to these two parts which make up the USB/AUX input and the USB connector that go from the USB/AUX to GD-03 headunit:
- Auxiliary Jack: 96120-A5100
- Wire Harness: 96595-D3000

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus

Hi aanastasiou4 - My line of work is in no way mechanical/electrical so I may have stated the parts incorrectly. I am referring to these two parts which make up the USB/AUX input and the USB connector that go from the USB/AUX to GD-03 headunit:
- Auxiliary Jack: 96120-A5100
- Wire Harness: 96595-D3000
Oh, okay!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline todd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks VTH for the great guide.  I replaced the GD-01 head unit in my 2014 on the weekend and it is working great.

In case anyone else is interested I had trouble getting a USB cable as the wrecker supplied the head unit and AUX port but cut all the cables!

Hyundai spare parts told me the USB cable was part of the main harness and couldn't be purchased seperatly and the main harness was AU$1500!

I managed to order the USB cable (96595-A5000) from Four Green for much less (US$12.62 + postage), however a few days later they told me they didn't have the part and gave me a refund.

There is an alternative KIA part (96198-3W000) which both Four Green and Korean Auto Parts have in stock.

While researching the cable however, I discovered I could order the connectors and make the cable myself.

The connectors are GT17 Series from Hirose and are made up several components which include:

Housing -  GT17HS-4S-HU (You'll need two of these)
Insulator - GT17H-4S-2C (You'll need two of these)
Outer terminal - GT17HS-4S-5CF (You'll need two of these)
Centre terminal - GT8-2428SCF(70) (You'll need eight of these)

It might be a good idea to buy a few extra in case you mess up the crimping.

I ordered all these parts from Digi Key Electronics

For the cable I used a shielded USB cable, the specific cable used in the Hyundai part is "DUSUNG E203693 AWM 2725 VW-1 80C 30V Low Voltage Computer Cable", however if you can't find this cable any shielded USB printer cable should work just fine.  Look for AWM 2725 on the cable and you should be fine. 

I happen to find some of the same cable used in the genuine Hyundai part and used a 45cm lenght which was enough to reach with some slack for ease of install.

Using some wire strippers, crimping tools and tweezers it took me 20 minutes of steady hands (the center terminal pins are tiny) to make up the cable.

As I mentioned earlier the wrecker cut all the cables and sent me the cut off ends so I also have the plug with some wires that go into the AUX port. 

I'm working on making up an adapter that will allow me to plug the cable in my car to the new AUX port.  I'm currently sourcing the connectors from GD-01 AUX port (96120-A5000) so I don't have to cut up the one I have to get the plug, but I'll keep you all posted if that turns out.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:18:36 by todd »
  • 2014 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:welly3: Todd.

Another excellent 1st post. Our new members are excelling themselves.  :hatoff:

Thanks again.  :goodjob:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
In case anyone else is interested I had trouble getting a USB cable as the wrecker supplied the head unit and AUX port but cut all the cables!
What sort of an fxxxwit does that :head_butt: should have asked him to resend a new cable :disapp:

Offline IJustKnowStuff

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Does anyone know if you can get an extension cable/part for the B plug that goes into the head unit? Or know the male and female part numbers so I could build one, similar to Todd?

I'd like to try re-routing the USB pins without messing with the original cables.
  • 2016 i30 Active, 5 Door Hatch, 1.8L Petrol, auto, Polar White

Offline todd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Its not easy identifying the connectors used unless they have some kind of marking on them.

The USB cable connectors had a manufacturer and model stamped on them so they weren't to difficult to find.

The other connectors, like the connector for the AUX port are a bit harder to identify.  I did find a marking on the plug on the back of the GD-01 AUX connector "KET" which turns out to be a manufacturer Korea Electrical Terminal

The problem I've found is if you can identity the the connector, the suppliers usually have a minimum order amount, sometimes in the thousands of units!  However you can sometimes get around this by asking for "samples" which they will send you for free  :)
  • 2014 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, White

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!

Hi Plasticphyte - I also have a 2012 i30. It is literally plug and play with the GD-03, but you do need to de-pin the reverse cam as per VTHs instruction.

I do still have my 2012 i30 Premium. I've been able to find a lot of what appear to be the "standard" head units fitted to the Sports models on eBay, but unfortunately not been able to find one from a Premium model. I'll probably have to physically scrounge through a wrecking lot to find something (I suspect the Premium models will be a bit harder to track down as they're not likely to have sold in as large a number as the "lower" end models).

Failing this I'll likely end up finding a third party head unit and install that instead. As much as I'd love to trade in for a new i30, I can't justify going through all that financial responsibility again! Paid my car off now and I rather like having that money back in the bank again! :)

What sort of an fxxxwit does that :head_butt: should have asked him to resend a new cable :disapp:

It seems to be fairly common. Most likely done to make extracting the goodies a quick affair rather than fussing about with properly removing the units with all cabling intact.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It seems to be fairly common. Most likely done to make extracting the goodies a quick affair rather than fussing about with properly removing the units with all cabling intact.
Cant say I've heard of anyone else receiving their cables cut in half, it wouldn't make extracting the units easier either because the unit and air con panel have to be removed first to gain access to the USB/AUX module and the cable simply unplugs, cutting the cable is just a foolish mistake or done on purpose by some numbskull and should be replaced at the wreckers cost :disapp:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal