i30 Owners Club

Cabin fumes

android · 14 · 5513

Offline android

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sinny, Straya

• Sinny, Straya
I have a 2008 diesel with 60000 km on the clock. About a month a go it was getting hard to start so I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the glow plugs and put in a new battery. Problem fixed...it now starts perfectly...but, ever since then (for about a week now) what smells like exhaust fumes have been coming out of the air vents when the car is stationary (i.e. no fumes when the car is moving). The fumes go away when I press the recirculate button.

So I took it back to the dealer who looked at it for half an hour and said they can't find the problem and suggested it might be some oil on a hot part, so just let it burn off over a few weeks. Sounded reasonable, but the smell is really bad (not like burning oil and probably unhealthy) so I opened the bonnet myself to see if I could see anything amiss. I'm not a mechanic so that was a forlorn hope  :D. Anyway, as luck would have it, I did find something: the driver's side front bolt holding the engine cover down was sheared off - just lying loose in its well  :Shocked:

I'm guessing that the engine cover would need to come off to change the glow plugs, but if it wasn't then bolted back on firmly, would that cause exhaust gases to leak into the engine bay and then somehow get sucked into the cabin?

Pip
Welcome to the forum.
Loose cover will not be the problem but I'm thinking if they broke that they might have stuffed something else. Take it back.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome to the forum android.  :razz:  I'm with pip on the matter ,take it back and let the dealer fix it.  :idea:
a split injector O ring could be the cause of the smell in the car,it only needs one injector leaking a small amount of fuel and burning on the exhaust manifold.  :winker: :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
We have concensus. Take it back and get them to fix what they broke as a starting point.
And welcome to the forum.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Android .. If they don't take you seriously mention this forum with members in over 60 countries  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Welcome aboard...  I concur absolutely with whats been said those fumes could overcome you more quickly than you imagine if they are exhaust fumes... that would be the longest sleep you've ever had.  Sorry to be melodramatic  :blubber: :blubber: :blubber:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi android and welcome to the site.

Have you checked that the exhaust isn't leaking fumes its entire length?

Also, do you have the window open when stopped so any fumes exiting the exhaust at the rear/ underbody/engine could be filtering into the cabin area.

Check spare wheel area to make sure all bungs to the underside are in place.

Like all the others have said  --- take it back and use the warranty facilities..
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline android

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sinny, Straya

• Sinny, Straya
Well, this time it was a Happy Ending :happydance: ...

I dropped the car back to the dealer and they found and fixed the problem before lunch. And the sheared bolt was replaced as well (they must have a trick for that).

2i30s was closest to the mark...apparently, one of the new glow plugs was not seated firmly and letting a bit of diesel leak (or spray?) out onto the exhaust manifold - the resulting fumes were being sucked into the cabin when the fan was on Fresh.

Thanks for all the good advice guys - I really appreciate it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's great  :happydance:(Good work Steve AKA 2i30's) :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Good result - glad it got sorted.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Well, this time it was a Happy Ending :happydance: ...

I dropped the car back to the dealer and they found and fixed the problem before lunch. And the sheared bolt was replaced as well (they must have a trick for that).

2i30s was closest to the mark...apparently, one of the new glow plugs was not seated firmly and letting a bit of diesel leak (or spray?) out onto the exhaust manifold - the resulting fumes were being sucked into the cabin when the fan was on Fresh.

Thanks for all the good advice guys - I really appreciate it.

Excellent news, we can cancel the undertakers quote  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
That's great  :happydance:(Good work Steve AKA 2i30's) :goodjob:
had an almost identical fault on a diesel engine at work a few weeks ago,it smoked out the factory.  :Shocked:

Offline android

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sinny, Straya

• Sinny, Straya
 :eek: I must be jinxed...the cabin fumes are back only a week after it was fixed - not so bad this time, but not good either. And it *was* fixed - I can vouch for that. The air was fresh for a while. What are the chances of yet another glow plug becoming leaky after 7 days? Do replacement glow plugs usually cause problems like this?

Oh well, back to the dealer I guess (3rd time now).

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
:eek: I must be jinxed...the cabin fumes are back only a week after it was fixed - not so bad this time, but not good either. And it *was* fixed - I can vouch for that. The air was fresh for a while. What are the chances of yet another glow plug becoming leaky after 7 days? Do replacement glow plugs usually cause problems like this?

Oh well, back to the dealer I guess (3rd time now).
they are only sealed by a small o ring,its possible another one is leaking ,but not as bad as the first one.  :disapp:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal