Too Cold for my i30

AlanHo · 27 · 9376

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My 2 month old i30 diesel refused to start this morning. This is the first time in 22 years that I have ever had a problem with a car either not starting or breaking down on me. I was surprised and jolly miffed.

The car was parked outside the garage overnight and we had a frost last night - but not all that bad. I tried to start it a few times - but then decided fetching the newspaper could wait and I went back in the house to get warm and have my breakfast.

I tried again an hour later - but still no joy - and I was almost ready to call the RAC. Before doing so, I decided to connect up my battery charger. Half an hour later I tried the starter and the car burst into life as if nothing had ever happened.

This leaves me rather nervous. Whatever the problem was is no longer evident and I see no point in taking it to the dealership. Unless of course - someone here has had similar problems and can councel me otherwise.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Was it as cold as this?

My battery is probably 3 years old and have never had an issue, I would be tempted to check that the connections are tight assuming that you have not found out that you had left on the interior light or something.  Failing that perhaps you need a battery check, maybe a fault :question: :'(
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Even in summer, mine failed to start on 2 occasions, and once last winter - luckily always at home.
Strangely, I filled in a questionnaire from J.D. Power, I answered all the questions as excellent, but the very last question was "Has the vehicle ever failed to start", it actually upset me to state "Yes", just strange to ask that right at the end, may be telling us something.
Each time I got out the car, locked it, unlocked it, repeated it if needed to, then got in & it would start.
Certainly dents the initial (optimistic) confidence acquired......

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
Get the battery checked at the dealership, they can do a load test, last year there was a faulty batch of batteries and several owners on here commented. Deff a problem somewhere.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Was this the first really really cold start?

I would expect it to be a battery issue unless the battery has drained due to an electrical leak fault
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
If it was turning over don't forget to let the gloplugs do their thing. Otherwise check your boot is shutting properly.

Mine started at minus six degrees this morning without so much as a cough

Sent via swype & tapatalk on Android

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Chap across the road from me had to replace the battery on his car 2 weeks ago just when we had that mild, if there is any such type, frost.

He later found the receipt - 12 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yes 12 years car is, I think, 16 years old. Very old shape peugot.

I suggested he take the battery back and asks for a refund and quote "not fit for purpose" :lol: :lol:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Even in summer, mine failed to start on 2 occasions, and once last winter - luckily always at home.
Strangely, I filled in a questionnaire from J.D. Power, I answered all the questions as excellent, but the very last question was "Has the vehicle ever failed to start", it actually upset me to state "Yes", just strange to ask that right at the end, may be telling us something.
Each time I got out the car, locked it, unlocked it, repeated it if needed to, then got in & it would start.
Certainly dents the initial (optimistic) confidence acquired......

This sounds like the key transponder not working properly? (immobiliser)

Pip
My 2 month old i30 diesel refused to start this morning...
.. Unless of course - someone here has had similar problems and can councel me otherwise.

Your description of the problem does not allow much speculation.  :rolleyes:

Did the engine turn over? If it did so, then charging the battery would be unlikely to be part of the fix. If it turned over only slowly then yes, perhaps. If it did not even attempt to crank then immobiliser possibly due to a problem with the key. If it happens again try the other key... if you have one.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

If it was turning over don't forget to let the gloplugs do their thing. Otherwise check your boot is shutting properly.
Mine started at minus six degrees this morning without so much as a cough

Lorian - it seems you have hit the nail on the head. I checked the car last evening and found that the rear hatch was not fully closed. I cannot recall using the boot for a few days and it is almost certain that this caused the problem and drained the battery. When I had the problem yesterday, the car cranked OK but the whole  dashboard display started flickering and even with the ignition key turned off there was a constant clicking noise from behind the engine - perhaps the fuel pump. This left me unsure whether it was an electronic or battery problem.

The computer display is very clear when a door is open - but the rear hatch open indicator is just a small horizontal bar which I had not previously noticed. I am guilty of being accustomed to my previous Audis giving a nagging audible warning when a door, boot or bonnet was not closed and have therefore been in blissful ignorance that on this car the rear hatch needs a hard slam to close it reliably.

This poses another question - does the i30 hatch normally require a firm slam to close it - or does mine need adjustment?

Pip
This poses another question - does the i30 hatch normally require a firm slam to close it - or does mine need adjustment?

Sounds like you got it.  :D

On the hatch lid there are two black rubber "door stoppers" that land on round plastic pads. The stoppers are threaded and can be turned by hand which might allow some adjustment.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Just don't screw them in too far or the hatch will rattle while you are driving.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

This sounds like the key transponder not working properly? (immobiliser)

I tried the spare key - to no avail, so yes, it may be the immobiliser...

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
With regard to doors/hatch not being closed properly, I have noticed on mine if a door doesn't fully close (usually due to the 6 year old being to busy to do anything properly :rolleyes: :rolleyes:) that the car display on the dash remains on as will the interior lights, also the alarm will not arm (no flashing indicators) and the doors do not lock.

I don't know if these also apply to the hatch and it's too damned cold to go find out but there are a few ways of keeping an eye on such things in my experience.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Pretty much the same thing, problem is when you are new to the car it can take a while to get used to the locking noise, and if you are walking away from it while locking its easy to leave it compromised, internal lights on etc.

I had the same issue about a week after I had the car, I just happened to look out the window one night and notice the light on. A bit of jiggling with those rubber stops and never had an issue since.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have adjusted the screwed rubber stops half way up the inside of the rear door and the hatch now closes more easily. I took the car for a spin and it appears that I have managed to do this without causing any rattles. All the ferocious speed bumps in the local roads provide a good testing ground.

I now realise that I have carried over from my previous cars the habit of walking away from the car and hitting the keyfob lock button without looking for the lights to flash. I hear the clunk of the locks and assume the car is secured. I must break the habit and in future look for the indicator lights to flash as an assurance that all the doors and rear hatch are locked properly.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

I must break the habit and in future look for the indicator lights to flash as an assurance that all the doors and rear hatch are locked properly.
Would you prefer a bleep ?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I still walk away without looking, hard habit too break

Pip
Would you prefer a bleep ?
Yes, something subtle and quiet that only goes off when alarm is armed. I'm not deaf but am blind when walking away with my back to car. :wink: I've often left car unlocked. :-[

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

It would appear I am not alone in being a bit careless about locking the car.

We went out in the car a couple of times yesterday and it seems that my incident has made me paranoid about making double/treble sure all the doors are shut and locked.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

my incident has made me paranoid about making double/treble sure all the doors are shut and locked.
That is my only concern about the vehicle, I cannot just walk away, must always try the door, marginally better than using a key, ok for unlocking though.
Is there a "bleech" that can easily be fitted ?

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
If you leave a door or the hatch ajar, the indicators will not flash as the alarm cannot activate, so you can walk away, you just have to do it backwards to check the flashes happen :wink: :D

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Ok to see on overcast or dull days and when dark - not always easily seen in very bright, low sunshine.

However, If I hear a "bleech", it registers immediately, and you can just walk away - forwards....

Offline briandk

• 2nd Gear
I actually had to try 3 times before mine startet this morning. It's a bit cold here though:

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Man, u guys are doing it tough up there. Out of interest did the battery have trouble cranking the motor, or does the motor crank normally but is not firing?

Offline de Bounce

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Thomastown
Pity the locking system is not a bit smarter.
I had a 99 Toyota Vienta (V6 Camry)
It made no noise when it locked successfully with the remote however it would give a double chirp if it didn't/couldn't.

Might be something in the body computer which could be set by a Hyundai Service centre!
  • 2010 MY11 FD SLX CW 1.6 CRDi in Clear Blue

Offline briandk

• 2nd Gear
Man, u guys are doing it tough up there. Out of interest did the battery have trouble cranking the motor, or does the motor crank normally but is not firing?

Mine cranked normally and the engine did fire, it just turned off again almost instantly.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal