i30 Owners Club

HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

VTH · 476 · 230842

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I asked the seler the same question and he told me that he said many times to the employees that disassemble the cars not to cut the wires but they keep doing it.
As I've said once before "numbskulls", employees need to be give the boot if they cant follow a simple instruction :disapp:

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
I asked the seler the same question and he told me that he said many times to the employees that disassemble the cars not to cut the wires but they keep doing it.
As I've said once before "numbskulls", employees need to be give the boot if they cant follow a simple instruction :disapp:
I totally agree with you!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline todd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi couleurs, I've used Korean Auto Parts before.. You can pay with Paypal (I recommend this) and they give you a tracking number which always makes me feel better :)
  • 2014 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, White

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Hi couleurs, I've used Korean Auto Parts before.. You can pay with Paypal (I recommend this) and they give you a tracking number which always makes me feel better :)
Did your order arrived? I read many reviews online that its a scam website.

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline todd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yes, my part arrived.  Ask them to give you a tracking number and pay with Paypal so if there is any problem you can get your money back.
  • 2014 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, White

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I read many reviews online that its a scam website.

Koraps is highly reputable. The reviews you may have seen would be from people who've probably had the odd delivery issue, so went online to complain.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
I read many reviews online that its a scam website.

Koraps is highly reputable. The reviews you may have seen would be from people who've probably had the odd delivery issue, so went online to complain.
Most probably yes!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
Hey all, just an update on my progress.
I have ordered a GD-03 unit from ultimatejap on ebay for $288 (£160) with express posting to the uk. It was difficult with the time difference because I would be in bed as they would be at work, and when I get up they would be finished work  :sleeping:
Still got there in the end  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
Now it didn't come with the cable for USB but I have ordered one from Lithuania. It is the 96198-3W000 model from KIA SPORTAGE III, £25 for that delivered.

After all the digging and searching now I just wait. I will update once they have  arrived and I have it fitted and thanks to the person who posted alternative part numbers for the cable it was a big help.
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Hey all, just an update on my progress.
I have ordered a GD-03 unit from ultimatejap on ebay for $288 (£160) with express posting to the uk. It was difficult with the time difference because I would be in bed as they would be at work, and when I get up they would be finished work  :sleeping:
Still got there in the end  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
Now it didn't come with the cable for USB but I have ordered one from Lithuania. It is the 96198-3W000 model from KIA SPORTAGE III, £25 for that delivered.

After all the digging and searching now I just wait. I will update once they have  arrived and I have it fitted and thanks to the person who posted alternative part numbers for the cable it was a big help.
Perfect! I was also not able to find the cable from Hyundai parts and I got one for the sportage!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Shared parts between Hyundai and Kia are handy at times.  :goodjob:

Sometimes you can even save money with things like Diesel fuel filters.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
Shared parts between Hyundai and Kia are handy at times.  :goodjob:

Sometimes you can even save money with things like Diesel fuel filters.  :victory:
Yes!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Redcari30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
hi All

all worked as shown by VTH. thank you VTH and then Todd for the cable tip from Digi.

What went right and wrong

1) When I ordered the cable parts I though 'I like the blue plastic interiors more'. Wrong - stupid me! The blue and grey are keyed slightly differently so the blue will not fit into the i30 radio sockets. It is basically the same , just a little plastic tab stops it sliding in. Lucking I work in a place with a workshop and they machined off the offending bit. Would have been very fiddly by hand. Moral is buy the parts Todd said

2) The USB cable itself is easy enough to make if you have the right tools, strippers etc etc. Again I was lucky to get help from friends in the electronics workshop at my work. Can be done with basic tools at home but you need to be patient as Todd said.

3) Taking the dash to pieces was OK as per VTH's excellent guide. Patience and more strength than yo think at times to unclip. It is make to assemble quick, not disassemble! The AUX step was a bit tricky and in the end I just cut the reverse cable in a way I could re-splice it together if I ever needed. I didn't have the right tools and trying to remove the grey cover was just tearing it to pieces.

I did get some plastic trim tools and they helped a lot prying things without damaging.

4) Radio worked fine and no pin was asked for. It still had loaded music from the previous owner who wrecked the car in a prang. Car looked not too bad in images so I am sure they were OK but still, they have my sympathy!

A sincere thanks to the club, moderators, VTH and Todd.

• 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks very much for the feedback and the appreciation.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Herooftime06

• 1st Gear

• pa Panama
      Panama
I've found great information here!

Installed the Nav head unit in my Elantra GT 2014 (not the GD-03, not available in the US), i wonder if i try to install the "tll3000h.hdf" update for the GD-03 it Will work in my NAV system? It looks like the GUI is very similar.

• 2014 Elantra GT, Fuel 1.6LT, MT, Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Installed the Nav head unit in my Elantra GT 2014 (not the GD-03, not available in the US), i wonder if i try to install the "tll3000h.hdf" update for the GD-03 it Will work in my NAV system? It looks like the GUI is very similar.

I don't think I would try. You might "stuff" it.  :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

I don't think I would try. You might "stuff" it.  :undecided:
:whsaid: you’ll definitely stuff it, NAV units aren’t built by Cartronics which is what the firmwares are for.

Offline Redcari30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
HI

I am having that occasional crackle form the left front as well on usb. Did anyone solve it?

I suspect maybe the AUX connector ground lines need to be grounded. I know it is seperate but the usb line has 4 wires plus the external shield line and their is a little circuit board on the whole AUX assembly. maybe the gorund is shared somehow.

ta

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
HI

I am having that occasional crackle form the left front as well on usb. Did anyone solve it?

I suspect maybe the AUX connector ground lines need to be grounded. I know it is seperate but the usb line has 4 wires plus the external shield line and their is a little circuit board on the whole AUX assembly. maybe the gorund is shared somehow.

ta
The only crackle I get is related to an iPhone issue which is widely reported about the web.

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Ok so I have received the head unit, I can't believe how fast the delivery was, it was posted on the Friday afternoon in Sydney and delivered Monday to the UK.

[/url]

Now the usb cable I ordered from Lithuania is still waiting to be despatched and they were purchased at the same time, probably would of been quicker ordering the cable from koraps haha. Hopefully have it by the weekend though so I can get started on the swap.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@StokeyBry that's very quick postage :goodjob: did you order the USB module as well? that was the hardest part to remove, stubborn little bugger.

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
@StokeyBry that's very quick postage :goodjob: did you order the USB module as well? that was the hardest part to remove, stubborn little bugger.

Yes I have the USB module and the 12v ports all as one,  will it be easier swapping the entire part instead of trying just swap the USB module?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Yes I have the USB module and the 12v ports all as one,  will it be easier swapping the entire part instead of trying just swap the USB module?
You have to swap the entire module/part

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Yes it is difficult to remove, I was going to replace the entire part but they have damaged it upon removal, so I will just replace the module

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes it is difficult to remove, I was going to replace the entire part but they have damaged it upon removal, so I will just replace the module
When I said replace the entire part I am referring to just the part (module)I pictured with the USB and AUX plugins, not the full panel.

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Yes I understood that  :goodjob:
That was just what I got sent with the head unit. I was just going to swap the entire part for easiness, but with the damage they have made removing the part I will just be replacing the USB module.
Overall I am happy with the supplier, it was well packaged but the dismantlers are numbskulls  :crazy1:

Offline aanastasiou4

• 3rd Gear

• cy Cyprus
HI

ta
If you are using an iPhone it is a bug with iOS. Hopefully Apple fixes it in the next update!

• Hyundai i30 2012

Offline Redcari30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
That was just what I got sent with the head unit. I was just going to swap the entire part for easiness, but with the damage they have made removing the part I will just be replacing the USB module.
Overall I am happy with the supplier, it was well packaged but the dismantlers are numbskulls  :crazy1:

Overall that is one of the harder steps, you only pull our the top part of the lighter/AUX unit and lean it forward. That gives you access to the the clips that hold in the AUX unit. I only replaced the AUX unit but having the whole assembly from the wrecker makes it easier to study how it all works. Be a little careful removing the AUX unit as the plastic tabs that hold it in are very thin. The unit from the wrecker had one of those snapped but as I used my existing lighter 12V socket assembly it didn't matter.

As I said, study the whole assembly you got first. Good Luck

PS: In defence of numbskulls, they would get paid nothing and the lighter 12V unit is not easy to remove without damage. Finally as the wires are normally part of the wiring loom you need to cut them. Unless you know the exact details of the GD i30 GD-03 unit you probably wouldn't realise the USB is a standalone cable. Be nice if we all got a USB cable but I reserve my criticism for dealers and Hyundai. When I rang a dealer they couldn't work out the part and really didn't show much interest. Hyundai themselves ( or other brands) could join the internet age and have official parts for sale online retail. I imagine dealers sell 99% of parts via servicing cars so you wouldn't remove much business.I am sure they order via some online system.

Offline LargePig

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Basingstoke, Hampshire

Hey :) How did you get on? I'm going to be doing the same swap when my unit comes from Aus. Planning to depin A9.... WTF is Detent?
:link: Pinout_GD_GD-01_Audio_Notes.pdf - Google Drive
  • 2015 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4lt, Manual, Black

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hello, I haven't started yet as I am waiting on the cable for the USB module, but hopefully get started this weekend.
Where did you purchase your head unit from and does it come complete with the usb module and cable?

Also the link for the pinout you posted is for a GD-01 head unit which is different to the GD-03. This post has the pinout for the GD-03

GD-03 Pinout  :link:

Hey :) How did you get on? I'm going to be doing the same swap when my unit comes from Aus. Planning to depin A9.... WTF is Detent?
:link: Pinout_GD_GD-01_Audio_Notes.pdf - Google Drive

Offline LargePig

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Basingstoke, Hampshire
I got the headunit from eBay from rockleaautoparts in Australia, I already sourced the cable and aux unit in advance.

Sorry, should have been more clear about why I posted the diagram. The current wiring is on the left, showing a9 is "detent", whatever that means...

Thanks for the GD-03 pinout link though :)
  • 2015 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4lt, Manual, Black

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal