i30 Owners Club

Stubborn Water Marks on Windscreen?

Offline Frankyg

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi folks,
Decided to spend some time over the holidays to tidy the car (2013 I30 Gray ELITE) up a bit, with a focus on the glass and windscreen to kick off. So washed everything (big sponge and armour all car wash) rinsed off and chamois dry. Then gave the windscreen a glass clean.

Now this is the bit I haven't done before - used a clay bar. Bought a 3 pack of Meguiar's clay bars, got stuck in using a chunk of clay with plenty of water for lube. Now, it didn't bring up heaps of debris, but some. Certainly felt a lot smoother than the side glass panels.  I finished off with Rain-x 2 in 1 glass cleaner and repellant. I'm sure it will be a lot better than it was, but I noticed that even going over it twice with the clay bar, there were areas of the glass especially around the black borders that had water spots/stains. I've not really paid much attention to washing/drying the car so I suppose to be expected.

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting rid of the spots and stains on the glass? Don't want to spend much, as it's just not that important to me. I saw on a youtube some guy using 'Citrol' or something like that, anyone tried it or equivalent product in Australia?

There's one specific piece of paintwork I'll need to post about, where I left a bird crap sitting for waaay to long it's cracked the paint. it's on the rear spoiler, and I'll get some photo's of that before I ask for advice.

Cheers and thanks for any advice,
  • 2013 i30 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Manual, Grey

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi, Franky. That's the first time I've read where a clay bar has been used on glass. Everything I see about it says it's for your paintwork. In fact, according to one manufacturer, a clay bar won’t remove swirl marks, oxidation, stains or chemical etching, so that might be be a clue that it's not ideal for glass either.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have a similar problem on all my car windows - a water mark pattern all over the glass.  It was like it when new and is only noticeable when the weather is damp and the sun hits the glass at a certain angle.

I thought it may be aviation fuel - we live a mile from Birmingham airport and you can sometimes smell Aviation fuel when the planes are taking off when the wind is in blowing towards us.  However cleaning the windows with various solvents - including isopropyl alcohol - have made no difference.

I have tried all the leading window cleaners including "Invisible Glass" which make a brilliant job on the inside of the windows.  It failed.

I tried using a clay bar - failed

I tried fine cutting/polishing  paste on an unimportant rear quarter light window - it didn't do the job but was a bugger to remove.

I tried fine wire wool on the rear quarter light - failed again.

I eventually gave up and am convinced it is something within the glass and not on the surface.

Life's too short to let small things niggle one.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi, Franky. That's the first time I've read where a clay bar has been used on glass. Everything I see about it says it's for your paintwork. In fact, according to one manufacturer, a clay bar won’t remove swirl marks, oxidation, stains or chemical etching, so that might be be a clue that it's not ideal for glass either.
Agreed, also note that when using clay bars (on paint) you need to use a detailer spray for lubricant, water wont work correctly and doesn't suspend particles so you'll likely end up with swirl marks.

As for the glass I've previously used non abrasive nylon scourer pads with methylated spirits to remove more stubborn grit from the glass.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 08:59:18 by CraigB »

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
You could try Water Spot Removers like these :link: Buy Best Water Spot Removers Online | Waxit – Waxit Car Care
But by the sound of it, it has already etched into the surface.  Then it will require machine polishing for best results..
Otherwise you can try white vinegar neat. Soak paper towel with the vinegar & place it on the glass, leave on for 10-15 mins, don't let it dry out.
Then use 0000 steel wool to scrub the area..  Then wash off with car wash..
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal