i30 Owners Club

Deciding if I should buy.

Hydi · 9 · 3647

Offline Hydi

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Dublin
Changing my 16-year-old Honda Jazz for something bigger, I’ve almost plumped for a Hyundai i30. Other cars consider were a Seat Leon, Ford Focus and Opel Astra.

Having driven my old Honda for so long, modern cars are a bit of a mystery to me, so I have some worries:

1. Steering. With electric steering on the i30, do you still get a feel for the road? I like to feel the resistance straight from the tyres.

2. Visibility. Since I’m not great at reversing, I fear that the small rear window could be a problem. Reviewers also mentioned the size of the A pillars at the front.

3. The accelerator. Being fixed to the floor, the accelerator pedal is about an inch lower than the clutch pedal. Is there a danger that my right foot could get stuck under the clutch pedal during emergency braking? It’s probably a matter of getting used to it.

I’ve found a nice 2016 De Luxe Blue Drive with 70,000 miles on the clock. It’s in very good condition, with one previous owner. It’s dark grey in colour. My preference is for a light colour but it’s pretty well impossible to get anything other than white, black, grey or silver. Maybe I’m being too choosy!

Thank you.

• Hyundai i30

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I cannot comment on Ford, Seat nor Opel.  I can speak about Hyundai having owned one for seven trouble-free years of motoring with an I30. I no longer own a car and am all-electric as in Electric Mobility scooter :-) You'll not go far wrong buying a Hyundai.  My two cents 👍

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I have a PD model and you are looking at an earlier GD model, but I don't think the setup is much different. You will sense the i30 is much wider than the Jazz, as well as longer in length.

Steering:  I find it well centred and responsive compared to some cars I have driven.

Visibility: Does that car have a rear parking camera? If it does, that will serve you well for additional rear visibiity (as long as you keep the camera lens clean). Many modern cars have thick A pillars these days. I don't think i30's are thicker than others, but you have to get used to them.

Accelerator: I cannot comment except I have had no issues between accelerator and brake. Drivers seat position may be important for some people perhaps.

• i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Wow! Cars are expensive in the Republic. My car is a late 2015 CRDi SE in that grey colour, and I paid a lot less than that when it was 10 months old and 3000 miles on the clock. I've now done about 85,000 miles with no real problems. I do most of my own maintenance and this forum is a great resource for advice and trouble-shooting. I had an earlier 1st generation FD model which my partner now drives and that has now done about 234,000 miles. Most reliable cars I've ever owned
  • i30 CRD

Offline Hydi

• 1st Gear

Dublin
I cannot comment on Ford, Seat nor Opel.  I can speak about Hyundai having owned one for seven trouble-free years of motoring with an I30. I no longer own a car and am all-electric as in Electric Mobility scooter :-) You'll not go far wrong buying a Hyundai.  My two cents 👍
Thank you asathorny. With Hyundai you seem to get a whole lot of car for the money. I tested the vehicle today and it drove nicely. No problems with the pedals once I got used to them. Or with the rear view either. I'll get a mechanic's report next and will more than likely buy the car.
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Hydi

• 1st Gear

Dublin
I have a PD model and you are looking at an earlier GD model, but I don't think the setup is much different. You will sense the i30 is much wider than the Jazz, as well as longer in length.

Steering:  I find it well centred and responsive compared to some cars I have driven.

Visibility: Does that car have a rear parking camera? If it does, that will serve you well for additional rear visibiity (as long as you keep the camera lens clean). Many modern cars have thick A pillars these days. I don't think i30's are thicker than others, but you have to get used to them.

Accelerator: I cannot comment except I have had no issues between accelerator and brake. Drivers seat position may be important for some people perhaps.
Thank you greyhound. Yes, it did feel wider and heavier than the Jazz. Having said that, I got used to it very quickly. It sensors but no camera. Mind you, sensors are something new to me, so they should be a big help.

The accelerator was actually fine. The steering was a bit light, though I didn't try the Sport setting. Again, it's probably just a case of getting used to it.
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Hydi

• 1st Gear

Dublin
Wow! Cars are expensive in the Republic. My car is a late 2015 CRDi SE in that grey colour, and I paid a lot less than that when it was 10 months old and 3000 miles on the clock. I've now done about 85,000 miles with no real problems. I do most of my own maintenance and this forum is a great resource for advice and trouble-shooting. I had an earlier 1st generation FD model which my partner now drives and that has now done about 234,000 miles. Most reliable cars I've ever owned
Cars are very expensive here BrendanP. The government takes a huge chunk of the price in VRT. That and other costs makes driving very expensive too. I had toyed with the idea of importing a car from the UK but it would still cost me.

I must say that I've only heard good things about Hyundai.
  • Hyundai i30

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Thank you asathorny. With Hyundai you seem to get a whole lot of car for the money. I tested the vehicle today and it drove nicely. No problems with the pedals once I got used to them. Or with the rear view either. I'll get a mechanic's report next and will more than likely buy the car.
I hope all goes well and that you come to enjoy your new car, if/when you get it, as much as I enjoyed mine :-)

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
it's probably just a case of getting used to it.
Ah, So you bought it [subject to inspection i now see]. Welcome as as another owner of a grey i30.
(Grey is the new Black according to UK car stats I read somewhere. Better than Beige me thinks)
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal