i30 Owners Club

GD-03 Head Unit problem with Iphones

Offline pquodling

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
I have a 2016 I30, with a GD-03 head unit - plug the phone in via a USB Lightning cable - works fine for music, waze maps etc etc, used to work fine for phone calls in and out but around about the IOS 15 time frame it stopped - IF there is an incoming call (or I make one) it rings, I can answer but there is no audio, in either direction.  I have been in touch with Apple, and they have escalated all the way back to the developer team, taken all sorts of logs, run diagnostics etc. To no avail. Which makes me suspect that it's the car head unit.

THe Device information on the GD-03 is SW Ver: 2.05.10      MICOM 3.28.00   PLATFORM : 1.76.00 and Memory Status 967/983MB.

I am wondering if there is a newer (or older) firmware for this unit. (There is mention in its menus of being up to upload new firmware, but I have poked around the net, and not found any - Hyundai does have a firmware site/app but it's only for more recent models.
  • 2016 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, Silver

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi

This website may have what you're looking for - the model list covers i30s in your range (2011-2017):

:link: Official Hyundai Motors Navigation Update Website

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi

This website may have what you're looking for - the model list covers i30s in your range (2011-2017):

:link: Official Hyundai Motors Navigation Update Website
Steve, That site seems to only deal with Navigation units, there aren't any newer updates for the GD-03 unfortunately and I doubt there ever will be...end of life with the age of these units now.

@pquodling Have you tried deleting the i30 Carplay registration from your phone? Settings/General/CarPlay - Forget this car,  then re-sync.

A faulty iPhone cable could also be suspect :undecided:

Not much more I can suggest,  the iOS 15 update hasn't affected my usability in anyway here on my iPhone 7 Plus connection to a GD-03.

Offline pquodling

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Craig, you are right, that website only does nav SW from 2018-2022 - not my 2016.

Have I tried forgetting the carplay connection - yup, that was one of the first things.

As mentioned have been back and forward with Apple over about 3 months and 4-5 SW releases on this - which makes me suspect it's a hyundai issue.

Cable? I have tried 4 different cables, including a fresh out of the box apple cable. (have also metered them for signal loss - none).

I am running an Iphone 12 and IOS 15.4  - I note that you are running an Iphone 7+ what IOS Version are you running? Also, what are the software versions that your GD-03 reports?
  • 2016 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, Silver

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Craig, you are right, that website only does nav SW from 2018-2022 - not my 2016.

My apologies - it's probably not applicable to your continent:

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Have I tried forgetting the carplay connection - yup, that was one of the first things.

As mentioned have been back and forward with Apple over about 3 months and 4-5 SW releases on this - which makes me suspect it's a hyundai issue.

Cable? I have tried 4 different cables, including a fresh out of the box apple cable. (have also metered them for signal loss - none).

I am running an Iphone 12 and IOS 15.4  - I note that you are running an Iphone 7+ what IOS Version are you running? Also, what are the software versions that your GD-03 reports?
The phone is running iOS 15.4 and the GD-03 is the same latest version as yours SW Ver 2.05.10 - MICOM 3.28.00 - PLATFORM 1.76.00

I'm quite sure the head unit wont allow an older software version either unfortunately.

You could possibly email your issue/question to Cartronics support ( support@cartronics.net.au ) and ask whether they have heard of this problem or able to run tests :undecided:

I've no further ideas that wouldn't have been explored though I do wish you the best of luck with it, please keep us informed on how it goes just in case someone else encounters this issue.

Actually one quick thought might be to try re-installing the units software if not tried already, found here in the first post :link: Cartronics TL-01 DM-01 AD-01 FS-02 GD-03 GD-04 v2.05.10 Firmware (Dec 11, 2018)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 11:05:27 by CraigB »

Offline jprice46

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Qld

• 2015 i30 (with a mostly functional GD-03)
+1 to the above.  I was thinking I'd done something silly in my iPhone config, but my partners iPhone started doing the same around the same time.  After looking in vain for the silly setting I've changed / overlooked, I also think its a IOS 16+ issue with the GD-03 firmware.  Am relieved to read that I'm not the only person experiencing the fault.  On put luck I've emailed Cartronics asking if firmware updates or support is available to non-dealers.

I have my fingers and toes crossed that its a silly setting I've overlooked.
  • 2015 i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal