i30 Owners Club

Paint flaking off under hatch

Pnut · 3 · 1506

Offline Pnut

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
The other day i was unloading some items out of the boot and noticed some grey colour patches against the red paint. I gave them a wipe with my finger and to my horror the paint flaked off around it like dust. It is only in the one place on the car, everywhere else seems to be fine. I cant see any evidence of shonky repairs around the hatch (or even any repairs not that i would know the difference), so i dont see how it would have had a poor repair painting done at this place. The primer seems to be holding fine, so i am thinking i might try and get a rattle can mixed with the same colour and after a light buff with scotchbrite try and coat it with top coat again somehow.

Is this a common thing? Does anyone have any better repair ideas?

• 2011 FD 5 Door Petrol 1.6 Auto Red

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I haven't seen it but, if I did, I'd do the same as you. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Just in case you have not used a rattle can before - make sure you mask all areas you don't want the spray to reach up to at least a metre away from the site - and do it in a garage or on a windless day.  I would also finish it with a coat of clear coat

I once found out the hard way just how  far the paint mist carries and it's the very devil to remove - especially from plastic/rubber parts.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal