i30 Owners Club

Headlight bulb replacement

Offline badgerfruit

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi all
My offside dipped bulb went pop the other day, ordered a replacement from Halfords but I'm worried that the process will involve practically stripping the front of the car.  It's a 2015 (65) "GD" model.  Have searched google but all I find are "step 1, take the entire car to bits ...".

Anyone got any links to useful guides or videos on if this can be done without all that?
Note, Halfords wanted £10 to fit but I just assumed it'd be "open bonnet, find the rear plate and remove, swap bulb and put everything back" job?
  • I30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Offline badgerfruit

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi - well, that inspires confidence that I can do it an not just end up weeping in my driveway with the front of my car hanging off.
I'm working at home tomorrow so I will actually get chance to take a look and will report back ASAP!
  • I30

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Remember, never touch a halogen bulb with your bare fingers.
Oily deposits from your skin will transfer to the surface of the bulb and damage and shorten its life.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Just remove the rear cover, twist the bulb and fitting out, replace bulb,refit,if it's the same as a my 2013.

Offline badgerfruit

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
So the bulbs arrived from halfords, opened the bonner and bam, very obvious little twisty panel thing right behind the blown bulb.  Twist, twist the light holder and swapped the bulb.  Everything went back all done in under 5 minutes.  Cheers fir help and yeah, I know about not touching the bulbs but cheers anyway!
  • I30

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
When I took my 2015 i30 for the MoT the tester noticed the nearside dipped beam was off target and he kindly took the rear cover off and fiddled about with the bulb until it was seated properly. Didn't take more than a couple of minutes. There's a bit more space behind the lights on the GD so there's usually enough space to get your fingers in. On the previous FD version it's more cramped so the headlight has to come out.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal