i30 Owners Club

Front Windscreen Wipers - PD

Bob.W · 5 · 1739

Offline Bob.W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
I've read a few threads on this subject area - as my i30 could do with it's front wipers being replaced. The fronts are 26"(650mm drivers) & 16"(400mm pax) - they're the hook arm attachment style.

Now with all my previous vehicles it was simply pop the rubber out and slide a new one in - but it seems the design on these new ones has changed somewhat - and a lot of people seem to prefer or perceive that they replace the ENTIRE blade instead.

This susprised me as much more expensive (full retail price for these seems to go $70-80 for both blades, cheaper on sale) - but does seem a tad wasteful to toss the blade when it's just the rubber that needs replacing.

Called the local Hyundai dealer, and they advised that you can either replace the full blade OR just the rubber insert - which surprised me as I thought the latter wasn't possible on these style of wipers?

He even checked by rego number and assured me for this model it's possible - said there's metal clips at either end of the wiper - car not at home right now so will have to check but was surprising.

Quoted $18+13 for the rubbers alone - as a guide.

So will have to look but I was surprised that just the rubbers could be replaced - have others confirmed or found this with the PD style wipers?

:-)
  • 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I had a quick peek at my wiper blades (front & rear) on my 2018 SR Hatch.  To me, it looks like the front wiper blades/rubbers can be separately pulled out of their holders with some wriggling and shoving etc but since I've never tried replacing them I am not sure of the technique.

My rear wiper blade holder has a slightly different design to the two front wiper blade holders but since I have changed the rear blade/rubber a while back I know it is definitely replaceable. 

MY REAR WIPER BLADE.
I found some photos I took when I replaced my REAR wiper blade/rubber.  (Note: my two FRONT wiper blade HOLDERS do not have end stops (#2) like my REAR wiper holder does).

1. You can remove the rear wiper blade/rubber from either end of the blade holder

2. Push the wiper blade/rubber (#1) down and forwards so that it clears the stop (#2)

3. Steadily pull out the rest of the wiper blade/rubber (#1) through the claws (#3)

4. Done.  Easy peasy!  :)   

5. When fitting the new wiper blade/rubber to the holder, note the correct location of the claw (#3) in the channel.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:48:03 by TerryT »
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Bob.W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
@TerryT - sensational post, as always!

Yes, I believe you're correct, it seems many makers changed the rubber holders design a while back, they use to slide down and have metal clips at one end. Very simple.  This newer style seems to have metal 'flexors' (as you have labelled in the image - one either side of the rubber - which support and allow it to be held in the blade body. Apparently these slip out and are reused.

This design seems to have fooled a lot of buyers - as from posts I've read elsewhere replacing the rubbers alone seems quite rare - folks doing the entire blade instead.

But I'll grab some new rubbers and switch over ASAP - thanks for your post & excellent pix.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
BobW,

For more information, have a look at YouTube video tutorial at :link: How to Replace @hyundaiaustralia i30 Wiper Refill Blades with Trico TRJ710-2 Feb 2021 - YouTube

A simple process, if a bit fiddly, for replacing the front wiper blades/rubbers on my model (i30 SR 2018).

The rubber refills have what I call a 'stop slot' at one end of the refill.  The wiper arm claw fits into this slot and locks the rubber in place (anchoring the rubber at one end).

To start removing the worn wiper blade/rubber, just firmly grip the end of the rubber and pull it away from the claw .

Keep pulling until the worn wiper blade/rubber is out.  Note. That end of the worn wiper blade/rubber has been cut to length. 
(I think it should have been cut a little longer when first fitted as the metal flexor has only a little meat around it at the end).

A new refill.

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Bob.W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
Thank you @TerryT - much appreciated.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal