i30 Owners Club

i30 won't start with either key!? Immobiliser? Mechanic is stumped

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Hi, I was away for about 3 weeks and came back and my i30 would not start. This has never happened before. It turns over fine, but I noticed the orange dash light with the car and the key symbol was constantly on

I have tried both the main and spare keys, same issue.

Even now when I've locked the car, the orange car/key symbol remains on, so I guess it has nothing to do with the keys. What could it be?

My mechanic is very unsure also and I need to be able to drive to work!

thanks in advance
  • i30 1.6

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
A common suggestion when all else fails seems to be is youdisconnect the battery for 1 hour.

Reconnect and try again.

Just a thought.

Is battery charged showing over 12.5.

Have you check fuel in filter is ok.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
The car and key light staying on, is that the condition set when the key id chip is not present while cranking?

Offline Bob.W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
Feel silly saying it - but I assume OP has tested with their 2nd key and same issue?

What does the manual say the key symbol indicates? As your sig only says i30 1.6 so not very helpful in that regard.

Likely to do nothing but I'd go through the easy stuff first - read the manual, call Hyundai, change the battery in the fob/remote, try your backup/spare key, disconnect and reconnect the battery after an hour off as suggested.

Were your keys sat in some odd spot maybe in a very strong electromagnetic source etc?   Sounds odd and very frustrating.
  • 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Hi thanks for the replies. I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes as I'd read that elsewhere, does it really need to be for an hour?

It's a Diesel 1.6 i30 from 2010, reg is EJ60XUB

The orange 'key in the car' immobiliser light is on constantly, even when the car is locked and the keys are in the house. The manual says nothing about this. It says this light should disappear after the ignition is on, allowing you to turn on the car. It also says if its flashing that means there is an issue, but its solid

I have tried both keys, same issue. And as I said even when the car is locked the light remains on

Totally stumped and so is my mechanic!

Appreciate the help here
  • i30 1.6

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK
The car and key light staying on, is that the condition set when the key id chip is not present while cranking?

Yes this light is on constantly even when keys are in the house, car is locked
  • i30 1.6

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK
A common suggestion when all else fails seems to be is youdisconnect the battery for 1 hour.

Reconnect and try again.

Just a thought.

Is battery charged showing over 12.5.

Have you check fuel in filter is ok.

I disconnected the battery for 10 mins, does it need to be an hour?
  • i30 1.6

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Feel silly saying it - but I assume OP has tested with their 2nd key and same issue?

What does the manual say the key symbol indicates? As your sig only says i30 1.6 so not very helpful in that regard.

Likely to do nothing but I'd go through the easy stuff first - read the manual, call Hyundai, change the battery in the fob/remote, try your backup/spare key, disconnect and reconnect the battery after an hour off as suggested.

Were your keys sat in some odd spot maybe in a very strong electromagnetic source etc?   Sounds odd and very frustrating.

Thanks yeah I tried changing the key battery, no difference. Tried the spare. manual says nothing about this light being solid, only that flashing indicates a problem. Very odd and frustrating!
  • i30 1.6

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
It's a Diesel 1.6 i30 from 2010,
From that description, I guess you have the first "FD" version i30 (the white one on the left of the 3 in the forum header).
Can you please edit your signature to say "i30 FD 1.6 diesel" instead of just "i30 1.6". That extra information will help other forum members to understand and help you in future.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Try searching for 'immobiliser coil' There is a coil around the ignition switch which picks up the data from the chip in the key fob. This may be faulty as it won't start with either key
  • i30 CRD

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Hi everyone, thank you for the help so far. But we are still so confused. My mechanic had the auto electrician come and look, and he doesn't know either

He checked the immobiliser coil and said it works. The immobiliser light is on constantly but when you turn the engine over it flashes on and off kind of randomly.

The auto electrician said the next step would be to send the ECU off for testing, but then if they find nothing he said it would be some other component next that would start to get very expensive. The car is not worth a huge amount, but it solid and works fine, I would be very annoyed if it was a write off just because the immobiliser would not let it start!

I wondered about removing the immobiliser completely, is this possible? If so, how would one do it. I don't care about the security of the car, I just want it to run!

Any thoughts? Thank you again
  • i30 1.6

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal