i30 Owners Club

2010 i30 diesel engine cover rattle.

Offline i30trev

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      perth
Hey guys I'm a happy 2010 crdi Wagon owner. I bought her in 2015 and 8 years later it's still rattling along nicely.

I recently noticed that the black plasticky engine cover was vibrating a lot at idle and on inspection I concluded that one of the rubber "grommets" that it sits on has become perished and is now not at all a snug fit which has led to the extra movement.   I enquired about a replacement from a local HY dealer and after picking myself up of the ground (the shock of the price...) I decided to live with it rattling.

Today I did a test and compared the noise of the engine at idle with and without the cover with my trusty iPhone DB meter and found that there was virtually no difference in the volume. Consequently I decided to remove the cover and keep it stored away.

My question is whether the cover fulfills any other purpose beyond cosmetics and whether there is any compelling reason why I should put it back on.

Any advice would be appreciated.,

Trev

• 2010 diesel wagon.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My cover has been very quiet for years on the top shelf of my garage. Take it off.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal