i30 Owners Club

Another cold start issue thread [i30 GD 2014]

Marioux · 18 · 4670

Offline Marioux

• 2nd Gear
Hello everyone,

I've having trouble starting the car on cold temperatures. On some pretty cold days it was almost impossible (-17). Mechanic had checked glow plugs, battery, fuel filter, air filter. All good. Seems like a fueling problem ? I don't know. I don't get smoke or anything like that. I've put a tester on it and the guy said the tester detects a very high temperature in the exhaust system. I don't know if this would have any connection with the start issue. What do you guys think ? I made a video. Once turned, the car works fine with absolutely no issues. But once it stays a couple of hours in cold weather the issue comes back.

:link: Cold start issues - YouTube

Lower you volume when the outside temperature sensor comes up. That ding noise is pretty nasty for the ears. You might blow your speakers out  :)

Thank you. Have a good one.

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Have the glow plugs been removed and checked the ohms reading, has the glow plug fuse been checked?
Any fault codes from the reader?

Offline Marioux

• 2nd Gear
Have the glow plugs been removed and checked the ohms reading, has the glow plug fuse been checked?
Any fault codes from the reader?

Thanks for your response. No. He just verified using a small 12 V lightbulb. All 4 lighted up the bulb...I know..he should have removed them but he didn't took the risk to remove them cause he was afraid they might crack when trying to remove because the car stayed outside for a longer period in cold temp ... That's why he only checked them with this "method". He didn't and neither did I cross my mind to check the fuse box. Will check this out this evening. No fault codes on reader.

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Have you also tried priming the fuel filter before starting just in case it's a fuel starvation issue?

Offline Marioux

• 2nd Gear
Have you also tried priming the fuel filter before starting just in case it's a fuel starvation issue?

Hello. You referring priming it manually ? If that is what your are asking than no. Because the car runs once it starts, I presume there can be no issues with the fuel filter. I had it replaced 6 months ago. It's a quality fuel filter.
I always let the fuel filter light go off before turning the ignition . Also the glow plugs indicator. In fact, 2 times I've turned the ignition and let it crank some many times, I ran out of battery voltage at some point lol. Had to "borrow" some power from a friend's battery using cables. Made sure he'd stick around :)
I also tested the injectors. 2 of them had to be reconditioned cause they failed the fuel return test. They were returning fuel 2 times faster than the other 2. I've got the control valves changed thinkin' this might resolve my issue but it didn't. After the change, I got worried cause right after I left the service shop, I had some unusual vibrations on idle (I felt it on the driver seat). Also, the vibrations were slightly perceivable when I was accelerating the car between 1000 and 1500 rpm. Drove it like that like 5 km the and both vibrations disappeared. I guess it was an ECU adjustment to the 2 injector valved changes ? I don't know.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have you checked fuel pump flow is ok.
When left fuel may be flowing back and therefore not at point of use at initial start up.
Or pump not working correctly.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Marioux

• 2nd Gear
When left fuel may be flowing back and therefore not at point of use at initial start up.

Yeah, it's in service right now. They said they will check the pump and also do a compression test. Waiting for feedback.

Offline Marioux

• 2nd Gear

Yeah, it's in service right now. They said they will check the pump and also do a compression test. Waiting for feedback.

Just got back from the mechanic. The issue seemed to be this cable. Car starts fine now. For anyone who may have the kind of issue I had.

Offline kamxsd

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom, Europe

Just got back from the mechanic. The issue seemed to be this cable. Car starts fine now. For anyone who may have the kind of issue I had.

Is this all part of one big wiring loom or does it split into several separate wires.

In my photo below, I am guessing it is one with the blue tape and yellow plug at the end?

• 2013 Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDI

Offline Marioux

• 2nd Gear

Is this all part of one big wiring loom or does it split into several separate wires.

In my photo below, I am guessing it is one with the blue tape and yellow plug at the end?

I'm not 100 % sure but I think you are right. That seems to be the same cable. I don't have the one from the left. 

But the issue came back ! :( Car worked fine for a month (weather was warmer). These last days since the issue came back, were pretty cold.  I'm pretty sure it's a starvation fuel type issue like @567 I30 and @eye30 assumed. Waste of money :( I have another appointment on Tuesday. Will post here some feedback.

Offline kamxsd

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom, Europe
I have the same consistent eight second long crank starting problem with my 2013 crdi since I bought it three years ago at 120k. Hyundai main dealer change the fuel filter. I changed the glow plugs and high cca battery. No improvement. 3 years and 55k miles later. Car remains reliable but the 8 second crank is still nagging me and I want to figure out what's causing it is it any chance that as a starter motor or the solenoid starter motor to could cause the problem?

Once it started in the morning there is no problem I could do 50-80 stop start deliveries and every time engine restarts in less than 2 seconds without fail.

Friend of mine has the exact same make model and year. His car start within 2 seconds even if it's been sitting for a month. The other thing I noticed is that the cranking speed on his is noticeably faster.

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Have you checked the glow plugs are working? Is the glow plug fuse OK?

Offline kamxsd

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom, Europe
1st car is mine, 2nd is my friend. same make, both high mileage 165k+ 2013 and 2014

Is it me or is there a difference in the cranking speed ?

2013v2014

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
1st car is mine, 2nd is my friend. same make, both high mileage 165k+ 2013 and 2014

Is it me or is there a difference in the cranking speed ?

2013v2014

I listened to the video yesterday, twice.   First time, I thought both cars sounded pretty much the same, didn't detect any noticeable difference.  Second time, I thought I heard a slight, subtle difference before I had to log off. 

But today when I went back for a second listen to the video, it is unavailable.  And now I cannot remember what car I suspected.  D'oh!

Full disclosure, I have tinnitus and one bad ear, but my hearing would have been degraded the same for both cars so... :)
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline kamxsd

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom, Europe

Offline PGN I30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
First one I wouldn't necessarily say is slower but it does sound a bit more noisy/rough like bad bearings maybe.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
I listened three times.  Could not pick any real difference with cranking speed, just a slight difference in the 'tone' or noise.   
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Marioux

• 2nd Gear
Have you checked the glow plugs are working? Is the glow plug fuse OK?

This might be an earlier conclusion but I might have resolved the long cracking issue that I've had! I changed this piece and the long crank dissapeared ! But to be absolutly sure I will have to wait the winter for colder temperatures to hit lol. The issue didn't manifest itself on a 10 degrees outside temp. Before I definitly had a long crank unde same temperature.

36720-2A800 -> glow plug bus

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal