i30 Owners Club

Rear Caliper Replacement PD Diesel

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
My tried and trusted small independent garage has advised that the rear brake caliper (rhd driver's side) needs to be replaced. My i30 is a UK 1.6crdi manual hatch PD. I've had it from new (nearly 5 years), it's clocked up 183,000 miles and still has the original front and rear brake discs and pads. The symptom is a weak handbrake (the hydraulic foot brake is fine). I've been told that corrosion means that the cable mechanism is not working properly for the handbrake due to corrosion on this caliper.
Has anyone else experienced this and given that the warranty is 5 years unlimited mileage is it worth making a claim? Ordinarily brake parts such as shoes, pads and discs are regarded as consumables but in my (fairly extensive) experience brake calipers outlive the car.
The garage also told me that at present a new replacement caliper would have to come from Hyundai (£234 including vat) as there are no alternative options.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
As no-one replied to my post I presume that it's of limited interest but just in case anyone is curious I'll provide an update.
Hyundai have agreed to replace the calliper free of charge, demonstrating the value of the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi marti30 and thanks for the update.

Probably nobody replied as they haven't experienced it...? Good to see Hyundai coming to the party and playing nice :D

Has anyone else experienced this
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal