i30 Owners Club

After how many kilometers should spark plugs be replaced.

Frin · 2 · 2140

Offline Frin

• 1st Gear

• Belgium
The car has 27500 km.
Cylinder 4 failed on ignition.
It turned out to be a loose wire on the coil.
The dealer has replaced 4 spark plugs, which was necessary at 30,000 km according to him.
Cost 200 GBP.
Is this justified or just cash?
Is there a maintenance plan somewhere like it used to be if you wanted to do the maintenance yourself?
  • HYUNDAI I30 FASTBACK 1.4 T-GDI SHINE 103 KW Manual

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
The car has 27500 km.
Cylinder 4 failed on ignition.
It turned out to be a loose wire on the coil.
The dealer has replaced 4 spark plugs, which was necessary at 30,000 km according to him.
Cost 200 GBP.
Is this justified or just cash?
Is there a maintenance plan somewhere like it used to be if you wanted to do the maintenance yourself?

Frin,  I presume that you don't have an Owners Manual for your car?  FYI, my Owners Manual (Maintenance section, 7-10) says:

Spark Plugs - Replace every 70,000km or 84 months (with a footnote saying that "For your convenience, [spark plugs] can be replaced prior to its interval when you do maintenance of other items).

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about Hyundai's to identify your year model from your signature info to understand how "modern" your car is.  To my DIY-mechanic mind, replacing spark plugs as a routine service item at 30,000 kms on a modern car is excessive.  Maybe at 30,000 miles (50,000 km)?

Can you ring Hyundai Belgium and speak to their technical department for advice on replacing spark plugs without mentioning your concern over the dealer's actions?

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal