i30 Owners Club

95 vs 98

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Merry Xmas all!

Just wondering what fuel people have been using for their i30 SR/Nline's and what figures you have been getting?

I have been using 95 exclusively, with one recent tank of 98. I know it takes 91 but i just can't bring myself to put 91 into a turbo engine just yet... maybe in 6 months.

I've been using the 'Accumulated' screen to show the overall combined figure and will leave that for the life of the car while resetting the 'Average' screen every tank.

I have around 2000km on the car at the moment so I've done around 4-5 tanks. I know that as the car and engine are tightened up and driven more, fuel economy will improve. So far, with every tank i have seen around a 0.1L/100km improvement in economy. The last tank of 95 returned a result of 7.5L/100km. I am half way through a tank of 98 and it is already showing 6.9/100km - so a 0.6 improvement! This could be a combination of fuel economy improving as the car takes on more kms as well as the 98 fuel. Ill switch to 95 again next tank and see what happens. Driving conditions remain the same. I would have to do the maths, but for a 0.6L improvement it would almost be worth using 98 over 95.

What is everybody else getting with different fuel types?
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi,
2018 Kona 1.6 T,  e10 only,  accumlative ave 7.5. 3000km.
No wucking forries at all.   :D
2018 Santa Fe 2.2 TDI , Diesel only, acc ave 8.5. 30,000km
Last week Santa,  2 bodies, enough fancy clothes & suit for a week ,  AC  all the way, xmas shopping on way back,  cruise at 20 over , up to 40 over when overtaking - 7.5  to 8.0.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 00:51:33 by mickd »
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Some good results Mickd!

Have you noticed the Kona accum getting better as more kms go on the car?

My accum for the nline is 7.7km so far with 2200km on the clock and a bit of a booting here and there.
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Robbo,

See my 60,000 km review of my 2017 SR (same car as the N/line)

:link: Two years and 60,000 kilometres with my PD SR DCT

I replaced to Air Filter with a K & N very early in the piece..(as mentioned in the review). I never used 95 or 98, only ever 91 or E10 (probably around 50/50 during my 27 months of ownership).

According to the Trip computer I ended up averaging 7.2 L/100 kms over the majority of the 66,472 kilometres. I believe the K & N Filter probably made .1 L/100 improvement over the standard filter. I was pretty happy with that as Tassie is hilly and many of our highway limits are 110 kph. On mainland road trips with 100 kph limits she even got into the 6's sometimes.

The difference between 91 and 95 is usually around 14 cpl down here, with 98 a further 8 cpi or so dear again.

In my new Hybrid I have to use 95 octane and although I seem to get slightly better economy with 95 premium than E10 I usually use E10 (95 octane also) as the fuel saving with Premium in the Hybrid is nowhere near the 10% extra cost of the Premium fuel.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks Daz - that's interesting.

How much was the K & N filter and do you think it was worth it in the long run? I had one in my 99 Hyundai Lantra but i can't remember if it was worth it overall. Did you have to clean it and re oil it? I remember i had to do that which was a little annoying.

7.2/100 is a pretty decent overall figure. Up this way 91 is around $1.50/L, 95 - $1.62/L and 98 - $171/L. A similar increase to you i guess. I haven't put 91 in yet so no idea how that would go but if 98 returns 0.6/100 better than 95 - that would almost be worth it.
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Daz - that's interesting.

How much was the K & N filter and do you think it was worth it in the long run? I had one in my 99 Hyundai Lantra but i can't remember if it was worth it overall. Did you have to clean it and re oil it? I remember i had to do that which was a little annoying.

7.2/100 is a pretty decent overall figure. Up this way 91 is around $1.50/L, 95 - $1.62/L and 98 - $171/L. A similar increase to you i guess. I haven't put 91 in yet so no idea how that would go but if 98 returns 0.6/100 better than 95 - that would almost be worth it.

It was $100 exactly delivered I think. They had only just become available when I got it. I shook/blew a few bugs out of it a a couple of times and applied a very light spray of oil but that was all it needed in the time I had it.

I was impressed enough to keep it for the wife's Kona and get one for my Hybrid which was only around $80 I think.

I suspect it would help a turbo motor more than a non turbo that I have now.  :cool:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
I have run my 2017 SR Manual on 95 from the very 1st time I put fuel in it. It has never seen a drop of 91 on my watch.
I got it at just over 3500ks as a demo. Which I would have thought that the dealer would have only put in 91.
Iv'e got 98 in it now & for the last cpl of tanks. But for me, there is not that much difference in fuel economy.

Here in WA cheap fuel day is a Monday, so I always fill up then. As the difference between Monday & Tuesday can be as much as 30c lt.

I'm sitting on 39,580ks atm. And my Accumulated is showing 6.7lt/100ks. Which I have never reset.
Everytime I fill up the trip to empty is around the 680/700k mark..  But in saying that, my main trip to work is a freeway.

I'm running a ITG foam panel filter, which like the K&N is better flowing.
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
When you add up what Hyundai will charge you over time for factory air cleaners it’s worth it.

Filters are pre oiled so don’t need cleaning or oiling for 50k.

Cleaned mine last night🙂 use the proper cleaning fluid and let soak for 10 minutes then rinse under tap -  air dry - re-oil, good for another 50 k :goodjob2:

98 won’t be any benefit without being tuned for it, 95 at least has cleaners added so better for fuel system, tell Hyundai service you don’t require their fuel system treatment :)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
When you add up what Hyundai will charge you over time for factory air cleaners it’s worth it.

Filters are pre oiled so don’t need cleaning or oiling for 50k.

Cleaned mine last night🙂 use the proper cleaning fluid and let soak for 10 minutes then rinse under tap -  air dry - re-oil, good for another 50 k :goodjob2:

98 won’t be any benefit without being tuned for it, 95 at least has cleaners added so better for fuel system, tell Hyundai service you don’t require their fuel system treatment :)
K&N filters have come a long way since my rally days.  :goodjob2:
Had them fitted to my 40DCOE sidedraft Webbers on my Datsun 1600 (well, 1800 actually)
Clean and reoil after every event.
But we'll worth it.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Had them fitted to my 40DCOE sidedraft Webbers on my Datsun 1600 (well, 1800 actually)
But we'll worth it.
:goodjob2:

I used a similar Webber on the Mini but the 45 :link: Weber 45 DCOE - Weber Performance Carburettors Weber Performance Carburettors the induction sound was music to my ears :D

Yeah the K&N filters are great, think I've used them in every car I've owned since 87 :)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
But we'll worth it.
:goodjob2:

I used a similar Webber on the Mini but the 45 :link: Weber 45 DCOE - Weber Performance Carburettors Weber Performance Carburettors the induction sound was music to my ears :D

Yeah the K&N filters are great, think I've used them in every car I've owned since 87 :)
My engine wasn't up to needing 45s.
Two 40s suited it just right.
But, you're right. The induction noise was great. Aaaalllll night.  :goodjob2:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Well you were running two of em :) only one on the Mini though I ran AvGas :goodjob2:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well you were running two of em :) only one on the Mini though I ran AvGas :goodjob2:
I had a Mini Cooper motorkanana car with an "S" motor. Needed 100 octane to run properly. Bought the motor second hand so I'm not sure what was done to it. Just the twin SU's though.
And a full, one piece fibreglass front.

And before someone else says it.....
Off topic.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Off topic.
Tell someone who cares... all good stuff.  :victory:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Off topic.
In that case :)

I had a Mini Cooper motorkanana car with an "S" motor. Needed 100 octane to run properly. Bought the motor second hand so I'm not sure what was done to it. Just the twin SU's though.
Probably find the head was ported and polished with a few thou shaved off to raise compression, that was generally the most common thing to do to them.

You likely wouldn't have been able to do much more if needing to keep it within the club spec class restrictions.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 07:44:02 by CraigB »

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Some good results Mickd!

Have you noticed the Kona accum getting better as more kms go on the car?

My accum for the nline is 7.7km so far with 2200km on the clock and a bit of a booting here and there.
In all honesty,  fuel fluctuations are a  part of life .
 Don't really keep much track on numbers ,but did notice the other day.
 Wife reckons Kona is THE worst car she has ever driven in regards to keeping anywhere near speed limit.
It just keeps speeding  :lol:  It does have some punch  :goodjob:
Think she's starting to drive a bit like me  :evil:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Off topic.
In that case :)

Probably find the head was ported and polished with a few thou shaved off to raise compression, that was generally the most common thing to do to them.

You likely wouldn't have been able to do much more if needing to keep it within the club spec class restrictions.
No regulations on engines in motorkhanas. All about wheelbase for sedans and then there were the specials.
I do know it was 1310 cc

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
No regulations on engines in motorkhanas. All about wheelbase for sedans and then there were the specials.
I do know it was 1310 cc
Interesting on the regulations :goodjob2: if I'd known that I might have looked into it when I had mine, I sure the Hill climb group I looked into at the time had some engine restriction that prevented me from entering.

1310cc! would of had the overbore and a new set of Mazda pistons :)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I do know it was 1310 cc
Interesting on the regulations :goodjob2: if I'd known that I might have looked into it when I had mine, I sure the Hill climb group I looked into at the time had some engine restriction that prevented me from entering.

1310cc! would of had the overbore and a new set of Mazda pistons :)
This was around the late 70s.

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Logged in to a very busy thread this morning! Everyone must be feeling the xmas spirit <xmas emoji>

I was doing a bit of reading last night about K & N air filters and am still in two minds. I was reading the oil can damage electrical components ( maf's - not the tv show) and it isn't worth the risk and that the gain in power and economy is next to nothing?

What filter are you using @Purplehazeffc? Any significant noticeable gains?

So far i'm getting amazing results with 98 vs 95 - ill run another tank of 98 and then return to 95 and see what happens. 98 is cheap now with our 12c off a litre promotion through the Hyundai Auto Link app! Strange thing is that the car has been feeling less punchy.. could be our sudden heat wave or smoke that has been floating about from the fires lately.

Good point about not needing fuel cleaner at servicing. Do they charge for that? Does anyone know if tyre rotation is part of a standard service?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 22:07:53 by robbo137 »
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The only people who end up with Oiled sensors are those that can’t follow the instructions when re-oiling their filter, should be a light complete coverage...not saturated to the point where it’s dripping oil in the filter box as I’ve seen many twits do :head_butt:

A lot of people on here using K&N without any issues at all :victory:

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
@robbo137
I'm using an ITG foam panel filter. :link: ITG PROFILTER i30 N-LINE | N Garage      :link: ITG | High Performance Automotive Air Filters

Performance wise there wouldn't be not much difference between the ITG & the K&N.  But foam has been proven to filter dust & dirt better.
While keeping the same amount of air flow. So if you drive in dusty conditions, it's well worth having.  They clean & re-oil the same.

I used to have an induction pipe with a cone filter. But changed to the ITG panel filter.  With not much difference between them, if at all.

My driving can vary quite a bit, so it's hard to get a fair apples to apples comparison on fuel economy.
IE: I can drive to work one morning & get 5.8lt/100 and then the next day be at 6.4lt/100.  Traffic can pay a big part in the differences.

I have tried BP 98 Ultimate, Shell 98 V-Power & Caltex 98 Vortex.  To me I can't feel or notice any difference between them.
My main fuel has always been Caltex 95 Vortex.  I don't notice any measurable difference between that & any of the 98's

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks for that @Purplehazeffc

I did read that the foam is better for smaller particles. I saw you upgraded your exhaust system - did you feel a difference with all that + the air filter?

Mine can change a little as well but it is more dependant on how heavy footed i am. My traffic remains pretty similar day in day out and Canberra roads can be decent if you leave early enough.

In my old car i seemed (amount of kms per tank) to notice a difference with BP 98 (vs Caltex 95) seeming to return a lot longer intervals between fill ups  - but who knows. It's interesting you don't notice any difference between 95 and 98 whereas I've seen an immediate (half tank) difference of 0.6L/100km. Reckon you'll ever run 91?

I did read about it mainly being an issue if you over oil @CraigB. Think i'll do some further research and see how i go in terms of replacing the air filter. 98 won't be any benefit to performance or economy?
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
@robbo137

I would never run 91 in my car.  It cost me between $40-$55 a week to fill it up with 95.
The cpl of dollars less for 91 doesn't bother me at all.

Yeah I would say it has made a slight difference. Nothing huge though, but there is a little bit there.

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I’m the same and would never run 91 even though they say it was designed to. Just can’t bring myself to do it.

Yeah, I guess it’s about trying to figure out if the gains are worth the cost. I should probably leave it stock until I at least pay it off.
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've run 91 in a Subaru Liberty,  Impreza, 3 Corollas and my FD i30 over the last 15 years.
Never an issue.

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Yeah, it's possible i'm just wasting money on 95 and 98 @Surferdude   :crazy1:  but... it helps me sleep at night
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm using an ITG foam panel filter. :link: ITG PROFILTER i30 N-LINE | N Garage      :link: ITG | High Performance Automotive Air Filters

Performance wise there wouldn't be not much difference between the ITG & the K&N.  But foam has been proven to filter dust & dirt better.
While keeping the same amount of air flow. So if you drive in dusty conditions, it's well worth having.  They clean & re-oil the same.
Similar performance though not quite as free flowing as the K&N, to be expected though when the ITG filters are more aimed at dusty off road and rally conditions.

Main difference is the ITG needs cleaning every 16,000 kms - K&N clean every 50,000 kms, ITG needs replacing every 100,000kms - K&N replace every 1,000,000 kms

In the end both K&N and ITG have better filtration and flow than standard filters :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal