i30 Owners Club

Workaround for i30 1.4 crdi 90hp DPF regeneration too often

jazz · 24 · 28865

Offline jazz

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
Here is what I came up with.
I'm not responsible for any damage that may occur on your car from this modification

Parts needed:

1.  3296W 10K ohm Trimpot Trimmer Potentiometer 2x
:link: 10pcs 3296w 10k ohm trimpot trimmer potentiometer Sale - Banggood.com

2. DC Voltmeter 91C4 DC 5V
:link: dc voltmeter 91c4 dc 5v 10v 20v 50v analog panel volt voltage meter voltmeter gauge Sale - Banggood.com

3. 3 Pins Toggle rocker Switch ON/OFF/ON
:link: wendao mts-103 ac 125v 6a 3 pins toggle rocker switch on/off/on spdt 10pcs Sale - Banggood.com

Trim port potentiometer is used as a voltage divider (the same thing can be done with 2 resistors to get the desired voltage)
So we have 2 voltage dividers one of them is set to 1.15v (regen disabled) another to 4.4v(trigger regen)
Then we have a toggle switch so that we can trigger regen when needed.
And last we have small dc analog voltmeter 0 to 5 v to monitor the state of DPF.
When the voltage under load goes over 2.5v or 3v then it is time to trigger regen switch.
When I connect everything I will post picture here.
Now I have only connected  one voltage divider which is set to 1.15v (regen disabled). I check with a multimeter the state of dpf for now.
This all is still being tested so we have to see, but so far everything is good.
If you connect it to your car with voltage divider set to 1.15v (regen disabled) and you have an ongoing previous regen which is not finished just wait until it finishes and it will not trigger the regen again
On my car when you disconnect the  dpf pressure sensor the red wire from car side is ground the white is 5v an the green wire is signal wire.
On your car this can be easily checked with a multimeter.

It would be nice to have support  for this matter from hyundai but since they are not interested in my problem I came up with this solution.

Now pros and cons

Bad thing is that it is not automated so you have to keep an eye on it. Just like you would check the temperature of the engine.
I could make it automated with an arduino board and small program but for sake of simplicity i did it manually.

Good things:
Now you can monitor the state of DPF and see when it is clogged. (every car should have this gauge)
You can also  see on highway how it cleans itself through passive regen. (thats great)
One of the reason whay I didn't make it automate is that you can trigger the regen when you want, and not when the car wants since the car does not know how far you will drive when it starts the regen.

Thats it from me for now.
Hope this helps someone
And again do this on your own risk.

• Hyundai i30 1.4 CRDI

Offline peppp

• 1st Gear

• pt Portugal
      Portugal
That is amazing, I like that workaround  :faint:

Shame there's no Hyundai tech interested in the problem, only confirms my opinion about dealerships these days.

Out of curiosity, have a look at this story

:link: The vanilla-hating car

shame there's not enough engineers worried about solving problems like that, these days
  • 2012 Hyundai i30 GD 1.4 Diesel Black

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Superb post. Hope to see final desing working in your car.

Just to clarify: Do you need to have the higher voltage whole time you want to regen, or you you do just Quick toggle with the switch and the car will do the burn by itself? Just wondering, that do you need to monitor the dpf sensor voltage and stop the regen after the dpf has become cleaner.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline jazz

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
I set it on regen as soon as I see that it has started I switch it back.
Then I drive until its finishes that's it.
You can clearly see it when you drive and let go of the throtle at speeds over 50kmh that the comsumption is not at zero. also the consumption rises and the car has less power.
When you  experienced so many regens you can feel it too. :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 CRDI

Offline jazz

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
Once the regen is started it automatlically does its thing and stops automatically.
If I switch it on regen  and not back it  will regenerate the whole time.
I tested all scenarios.
I dont know but I will test and see if just a short toggle is enough. If so then i can use a push button instead of a toggle switch
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 CRDI

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Once the regen is started it automatlically does its thing and stops automatically.
If I switch it on regen  and not back it  will regenerate the whole time.
I tested all scenarios.
I dont know but I will test and see if just a short toggle is enough. If so then i can use a push button instead of a toggle switch

@jazz

Mate I have been with this club for about 5 years and your work is among the best I have seen. You obviously have electronic experience
 and have approached the problem professionally. :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

Unlike Hyundai.  :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum:

Probably, this is too complex for the average reader; irrespective, big thanks from me. Cheers G.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline ideal09

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
I think that it's important to send email to Hyundai to report this problem. Hyundai released a software update to solve the same problem for i20, now it's i30's turn to receive also. I know a lot of i30 owners who have this problem and they change the oil every 3000km  :crazy2: and hyundai dealership says that everything is ok.  :question:
  • i30 GD 1.4cc 90ps CRDI 2012

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I think that it's important to send email to Hyundai to report this problem. Hyundai released a software update to solve the same problem for i20, now it's i30's turn to receive also. I know a lot of i30 owners who have this problem and they change the oil every 3000km  :crazy2: and hyundai dealership says that everything is ok.  :question:

Our previous experience on warm start issues tells me that 100 emails will be ignored.

Compared to numerous oil changes, the solution is relatively inexpensive, even if you have to get a techie to install  jazz's over ride.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Using MY crystal ball , I see a small but effective aftermarket business start up.
 :victory:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline jazz

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
Thanks for the support on this matter.
I hope that this will help someone with the same problem.
The constant oil change (every 2000 to 3000km), diesel comsumption (average 7.3l per 100km)  is something that drives me crazy and no one can fix it.
My other car is a Mazda 6  combi 2015 with 150hp. It has a dpf also but with it I have no problems and the consumption is 6.5 l per 100 kmh and it has almost double the power and the car is bigger and heavier then  i30.
I do eletronics for a living and this is really the simpliest way to do it.
The way I drew the shamatic in PDF is so that everyone can understand how to connect.
This mod disables and enables manual  regen for this 1.4 crdi engine, and unlike software removal of dpf maps from ecu and physically removed dpf
from the car you have the option to plug the sensor back and everything is original.
And also it will pass inspection everywhere where they check if the dpf is removed.
When you remove the dpf from car there is no going back without a lot of money for a new dpf and reprogamming of the ecu.

• Hyundai i30 1.4 CRDI

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Using MY crystal ball , I see a small but effective aftermarket business start up.

@mickd . My C B has same vision.    :cool:

I suspect this is how Toyota were getting around the DPF failure on recent Hilux diesels. A neighbour has just bought a new one and the sales spin appears to be 'problem cured, but anyway we do a DPF flush during each service'.  :sweating:

@jazz
Southern hemisphere i30's (FD & GD ) do not have the filter. So far no complaints about the PD model which does have one. Although the auto PD has so many AI distractions and a 5 year warranty /service period, I doubt that average 'driver-less Joe' would notice a fault.

My own GD bucket list includes permanently shutting down the EGR .This can be achieved on some makes by lowering the MAF output voltage. (Simply add a resistor).
However, the Hyundai EGR is pwm controlled; therefore, a external (cold) wave form is required. When I have time I intend to try my first thought bubbles  :head_butt: = 1. piggy back 2 MAF;  2. simple square wave generator.

Offline jazz

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
I did not take a look at EGR since it is working correctly on my car.
I know that EGR is bad for the engine but I don't know how or which sensors or engine state is responsible for opening the EGR.
This would be great to know how to work around.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 06:39:55 by jazz »
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 CRDI

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I did not take a look at EGR since it is working correctly on my car.
I know that EGR is bad for the engine but I don't know how or which sensors or engine state is responsible for opening the EGR.
This would be great to know how to work around.

From both my research and a fellow electronics colleague, it is the signal from ( pin 5 ???) of the MAF sensor

Offline jazz

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
I don't know how much wires go to MAF sensor.
But first it is necessary to identify the wires.
Then measure the range of signal wires.
Then connect it to diagnostics to see how the ecu interprets those signals.
Also see how it controls the EGR valve, note the values
And then try to mod the signal to get the desired effect.
It takes time to do it correctly without any fault codes or worse (burned ECU).

• Hyundai i30 1.4 CRDI

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki

That is what came to my mind. If a short toggle is enough then a push button would be nice to have. Sorts out the possible human error to forget the switch in regen position. Nevertheless, great work figuring out how the regen system works.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline jazz

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb
You can also use a spring loaded toggle switch that you have to hold for regen.

Look what I found in hyundai i20 1.4 crdi manual about dpf regeneration conditions.
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 CRDI

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I don't know how much wires go to MAF sensor.
But first it is necessary to identify the wires.
Then measure the range of signal wires.
Then connect it to diagnostics to see how the ecu interprets those signals.
Also see how it controls the EGR valve, note the values
And then try to mod the signal to get the desired effect.
It takes time to do it correctly without any fault codes or worse (burned ECU).

When I or someone has time to do the work; this subject should be a separate subject.
But briefly, it is a 5 pin device, output signal (pin 5 ?) to ECU varies between 2-10 Khz depending upon temp and airflow.
ECU probably grounds the EGR valve to activate during yet to be proven frequencies.
Cheers.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

@mickd . My C B has same vision.    :cool:

I suspect this is how Toyota were getting around the DPF failure on recent Hilux diesels. A neighbour has just bought a new one and the sales spin appears to be 'problem cured, but anyway we do a DPF flush during each service'.  :sweating:

@jazz
Southern hemisphere i30's (FD & GD ) do not have the filter. So far no complaints about the PD model which does have one. Although the auto PD has so many AI distractions and a 5 year warranty /service period, I doubt that average 'driver-less Joe' would notice a fault.

My own GD bucket list includes permanently shutting down the EGR .This can be achieved on some makes by lowering the MAF output voltage. (Simply add a resistor).
However, the Hyundai EGR is pwm controlled; therefore, a external (cold) wave form is required. When I have time I intend to try my first thought bubbles  :head_butt: = 1. piggy back 2 MAF;  2. simple square wave generator.

Re: Toyota 2.8D engine.
Again not all.are doing it. Scott (sil) returned his for recall, tested and said his was working as it should be, no need for manual switch to be connected .
So Toyota know the problem and how to get around it. Years ago our old Toyota Coaster buses had a light come on and then the driver flipped a switch till light went out. Seemed to increase idle rpm by 500 till finished.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline lxalex.martins

• 1st Gear

• pt Portugal
      Lisbon
@jazz
"This mod disables and enables manual regen for this 1.4 crdi engine, and unlike software removal of dpf maps from ecu and physically removed dpf
from the car you have the option to plug the sensor back and everything is original."

Sorry for my doubts but once I have no idea about mechanics and electronics I just want to clarify about the process you have implemented.
Can you tell me if I get it right? If not please set the process with the right order

1. Car starts Regen then you just set the Regen to OFF (Pins Toggle rocker Switch OFF)
2. This way you will prevent that car starts again regen until you finish the previous one
3. You set the Regen to ON (Pins Toggle rocker Switch ON) when you want enable the car to do it
Can you tell us how is going on your system?
Do you have an image of the final implementation because i didn’t get it if Switch and voltimeter are in the cockpit to be able to check the voltage and switch OFF inside the car.

My car is a i30 1.6 CRDI and it is doing the regeneration each 80km, when DPF soot mass reaches the 16 grams the regeneration triggers, the process took at least 25 min at more than 1500 rpm the temperature rises to 500 - 600 degrees.
I was able to monitor that with an obd and carscanner mobile App.
For the last two months I 'm assuring that all regeneration's are complete but unfortunately the oil still gets up.
I’m very interested to know if someone else did this and have more feedback to help me to implement it in my car.
Hyundai does not assume that i30 diesel might have a problem.
Thanks
  • 2017 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6 CRDI, Manual, grey

Offline bojica

• 1st Gear

• ba Bosnia and Herzegovina
      Sarajevo
Did anyone tried this solution from jazz? does anyone have some more pictures foe the solution or some more  instructions?
I would be really thankful.
  • hyundai i30

Offline Ahmedaamer

• 1st Gear

• ye Yemen
      Yemen
Hi jazz
Now after 6 month
Does your solution runing fine or not
Because i do the same of your circute but had failed
and ecu still show error code p2002 in my tucson 2008

My car exhaust temp sensor wire was cutting and exhaust dont have sensor or sensor hose

Excuse me
My language is boor
  • i30

Offline Psalcedas

• 2nd Gear

• pt Portugal
      Lisbon, Portugal
I have a I30 1.6 CRDI from March 2018 and i have the same problem with regenerations.
I bought a South Korean device and with that i always know when the car is on regen, but evan not interrupting any regen, still oil rises....
Too many regenerations going on, sometimes the DPF has 1 gramm of soot but regen starts always, for that 1 minute in highway it´s enought to start the process...
Hyundai says it´s normal..... 
  • Hyundai I 30 1.6 CRDI Comfort + Navi 2018

Offline Psalcedas

• 2nd Gear

• pt Portugal
      Lisbon, Portugal
How can i disconnect DPF pressure sensor? My car is a Hyundai I30 1.6 crdi 2018
  • Hyundai I 30 1.6 CRDI Comfort + Navi 2018

Offline PatrikNet

• 1st Gear

• cz Czechia
      Prague
Hello, I have similar problem on my Hyundai i40. I would appreciate the scheme. So might I kindly ask for uploading a scheme here?
btw: Any update from long term usage point of view?
  • I30 CW GD CRDI

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal