i30 Owners Club

2013 1.6 CRDi take 8 seconds to start after being parked 12 hours

kamxsd · 30 · 9348

Offline kamxsd

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom, Europe
I had the fuel filter changed by Johnsons Hyundai dealer in Coventry thinking this was the only thing missing in the service history. Car has done 122k miles. The dealer also ran diagnostics (car had been in use 2 hours prior) and reported back everything ok.

The engine is not rough or smoky. Battery is strong as I had this issue every morning for the last 3 weeks since I bought it without going flat.

Car has been left parked for 12 hours and this morning I made video of cold start (0 degrees celsius):

:link: 2013 Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDI GD Mk2 Cold Starting - YouTube

After initial 8 second start, I let the engine idle for 3 minutes, then did restart which took 1-2 seconds

Is this normal or could there be something diagnostics could have missed?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 07:46:27 by kamxsd »
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDI

Offline kamxsd

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom, Europe
I e-mailed a local mobile mechanic who saw the video this morning and said the following:

"From your video, the cranking speed of the engine is too slow. Your stereo is also losing power during the crank time, this would indicate a discharged battery or one that isn't able to supply full amperage to the starter motor and also support the accessories circuit.

Most diesels require a cranking speed when cold of at least 300 rpm.

A simple test of the voltage drop when cranking cold would confirm this."

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi,
 Couldn't hear your stereo,
 Voltage check during cranking would check for voltage  drop .
Why turn on & off before cranking ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I assume the on-off thing is due glow plugs. In cold temps it is good to do two or three glow cycles which help the car start better. Of course this is totally unnecessary at such a "high" temps as where this video has been filmed. Below -20'c temp is different story. Also modern glow plug control may do this trick unnecessary, as many modern car uses after glow even when the engine is running. Common thing to do, but depends on the car if necessary and when...

And while talking about glow plugs, I would also check them. Long crank in cold and fast start with warm engine has almost glow plug problems written in them. But even with no glow plugs working, the car should start without such issue in that temp.

I would check battery and glow plugs first. If they are OK, I would focus on fuel system.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Also puzzled by the on-off procedure.

From memory, the glow plugs continue to be heated for about 30 seconds after the car is running. The light on the dash indicates an optimal wait period.

Start by checking battery ( simple) with headlights on. Do they dim too much? Yes ? Battery change. No? glow plug change.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I would agree that battery is only just cranking that motor over. I'd fit the highest CCA that will fit. I know I can get a 720CCA into my FD
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I know I can get a 720CCA into my FD if I take the back seat out.

:D
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I know I can get a 720CCA into my FD if I take the back seat out.

:D

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
GD

]

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
From memory, the glow plugs continue to be heated for about 30 seconds after the car is running...
It's very obvious that the circuit continues to be energised for at least 15 seconds or so after ignition off  - you can hear the high pitch.

That's how I can still wind windows up or down as desired (for the very few times I forget prior to turning the key) so long as Mrs G hasn't already opened the door :rolleyes:

Glow plug heaters? I don't know, but it may be part of the strategy along with sequential shutdown for security, etc.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
WHAT ! ! !
None left in QLD ? ? ?

:lol:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
WHAT ! ! !
None left in QLD ? ? ?

:lol:
Mother reports COSTCO resupplies each day and is out by lunch. Their packs are almost a 2 man carry.

Good news though , car battery stocks  are unaffected :goodjob2: 

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline Funky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I had the fuel filter changed by Johnsons Hyundai dealer in Coventry thinking this was the only thing missing in the service history. Car has done 122k miles. The dealer also ran diagnostics (car had been in use 2 hours prior) and reported back everything ok.

The engine is not rough or smoky. Battery is strong as I had this issue every morning for the last 3 weeks since I bought it without going flat.

Car has been left parked for 12 hours and this morning I made video of cold start (0 degrees celsius):

After initial 8 second start, I let the engine idle for 3 minutes, then did restart which took 1-2 seconds

Did this issue you are complaining about start after the fuel filter was replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Marioux

• 2nd Gear
I had a slightly similar issue mostly in same similar weather conditions. It was the starter motor. Took it apart , the mechanic scrubbed the contact parts a little bit with sand paper put it back and the issue disappeared. You could try that . Is relatively easy to take it off and shouldn't be a expensive operation.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Did this issue you are complaining about start after the fuel filter was replaced?

Not sure if this is where you are going, but to cut to the chase; the  filter holder may have been cracked and air is leaking into fuel line.  Will cause hard starting :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Not sure if this is where you are going, but to cut to the chase; the  filter holder may have been cracked and air is leaking into fuel line.  Will cause hard starting :goodjob2:

A cracked filter housing usually results in limp home mode (won't rev past 3000 rpm) being implemented by the BCM. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

A cracked filter housing usually results in limp home mode (won't rev past 3000 rpm) being implemented by the BCM. :cool:

:wink: limp is implemented by the ECU. If air is in the fuel line, the diesel powered car will not start, (unless it is owned by the Pope).  :cool:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@kamxsd
Where are you with the problem?

Offline kamxsd

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom, Europe
I did long crank video on 6th March. I had been filling up with Shell V-Power for the last 2 refills and when I did voltage drop test on 9th March with lights on, it started Ok.

I have since given car to someone who does daily 50 mile motorway commute. I will get the car back next week and update.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Low voltage, seems to be resting at 11.8 and cranks at 10.8, A healthy battery should be sitting on 13.2 to 12.8

Offline kamxsd

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom, Europe
@kamxsd
Where are you with the problem?

Managed to plugs. Will update post with details.

Offline kamxsd

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom, Europe
Low voltage, seems to be resting at 11.8 and cranks at 10.8, A healthy battery should be sitting on 13.2 to 12.8

Might have been because it was a cold morning and I did put all the lights on. I did the test again.

Offline kamxsd

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom, Europe
At least 3 times, I warmed up the engine, removed the wires and the metal rail connecting the plugs and squirted on some penetrating oil (PlusGas) using a pen oil can.

I bought a torque wrench from Halfords that works counter-clockwise too as I was worried that if I apply too much force, I could rip the top part of the glow plug off. Initially, it set it as 15nm which was not enough but it started turning (squeaky) at 20nm.

I started on the one at the right but when it came to the last one on the left, it did not come out completely - the rod part was stuck in the hole but the sleeve with the thread came out.

So I change 3 of the plugs after cleaning out with reamer kit. For the one that was stuck, I poured in as much penetrating oil as I could, screwed the sleeve back in and let the engine run for 20 mins. When I attempted to remove again, it all came out as one.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 18:17:41 by kamxsd »

Offline kamxsd

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom, Europe

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Good thing you got it out. Sure seems some of the plugs were not working properly. Would be good to measure the resistance of the ones that came out easily. When I measured my old plugs, all 4 of them were dead. That explained the difficult starts @ -20*C  :eek:
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Agree Sundiz,

@kamxsd  is to be congratulated for following precautionary principle > use WD40 and extract plugs with motor hot.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Great pics and explanation.
Good brain work re stuck separated plug   :victory:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

brain work  :victory:

"brain work" ....I know it well, I love it, it knows me too, it loves me. They have brains in NZ , we will bring them back and make Aussie great again, love brain work.  :happydance:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

brain work  :victory:

"brain work" ....I know it well, I love it, it knows me too, it loves me. They have brains in NZ , we will bring them back and make Aussie great again, love brain work.  :happydance:
So modest , :rofl: :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal